Trouble Installing Patch 7.4

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Sep 7, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

I'm having trouble installing Modpack 7.4 NC onto my laptop. My computer uses Windows 7 and I successfully installed the GOG version of ToEE. I played through the tutorial, so the program works ok. Downloaded modpack 7.4 NC and tried to install, but it's now working. The modpack started to extract files to the ToEE folder, but encountered an error:

C:/Program Files (x86)\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\toee.exe

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
    MoveFile failed; code 5.
    Access is denied.

The option to continue were abort, ignore, or retry. Retry just brings up the same error message, and ignoring the error allows completion of the extraction and installation, but the game won't run. Any suggestions??

2. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

When you run the Circle of Eight installer, are you running it as an administrator?

Edit: Also, remember the GoG version of ToEE installs to a different directory, which should be (or is close to):

C:\Program Files (x86)\GoG.com\Temple of Elemental Evil

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Also with Windows 7, you should never install to Program Files because the system may never allow you complete access to that directory. Install to some custom directory instead, like C:/ToEE.

4. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

Still having problems. I reinstalled the GOG version of ToEE to a custom directory, C:/ToEE. Tried to run the modpack installer, and I get the same error message. Same options, abort, ignore, and retry. This time the ignore option completes the modpack installation, but it still won't run. New error message says I must run ToEEFE X from the root folder. I looked in the root folder, couldn't find a file that allowed me to start it. I have McAfee Antivirus on my laptop, could this be interfering with the installation??

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yes, McAfee is known to destroy ToEE operations. See the Modpack Explained thread for details.

6. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

The Macafee AV was messing up the modpack installation. Got rid of it and now the modpack is working. Thanks for the help.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I switched to AVG for the same reason, AVG will allow you to edit the exceptions and it will ACTUALLY ignore the programs listed there.

Our Host!