Traders in Hommlet

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Arioch, Oct 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Arioch

Arioch Member

Hi all.

First - let me thank the Co8 for making ToEE playable lol, and for all the cool additions.

My question - in Hommlet, I want to kill the traders after finishing the revealed quests. My 1st time, (with a LE party), I killed them no sweat (at lev 1). Now, however, I am playing a NG party (lev 3 no less!) and I CANNOT kill the guys. I could kill them in a fight, but they use some dust of disappearance or something and escape EVERY time! Even if Held! The hell? :poke: What do I need to do? What is different? Will it automatically make them escape because I am using a "good" party, and that would be against their alignment? I didn't think it would restrict play in that fashion.

One quick aside - after calling a familiar, they appear in character's inventory. When you use the radial menu to make them appear in the play world, is there any way to get them back into inventory so they would (assumedly) be safe? Worried about my cat dying and costing me XP lol.

Thanks in advance. Any help appreciated.

2. TastelessRamen

TastelessRamen Member

Familiars can't communicate with their masters until level three... I think, but after that you can have your wizard character speak with the familiar, and tell it to get back into your pouch.

By the way, you might be able to do this at lower levels, but official D+D only lets you talk with familiars at level 3+

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Re: the traders, yes they've been made harder, as killing one of them will trigger the target of revenge encounter.

Talking to your familiar will put him/her back in your pack.

4. Kenshin

Kenshin Member

The traders are hard, but not impossible. I am sure I did the fight 20 times..but correct palcement of fighters before you engage in combat can help. You want to get a couple good hits in before one of them takes their potion...as you only have one round after that before said person disappears and ruins your chance of getting them both.

I didn't want the target of revenge...so I made sure to kill both of them.

With a cleave..or a nice critical it can be done.

Grab a beer or a bowl and try try again.:yes:

5. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

if you dont mind getting the target of revenge, i love that one myself, then focus most of your party on just one and beat him down quickly. im usally around 4th or 5th as i do it after the moathouse and my fighter and thief do a good job on one of them.

6. webusver

webusver Established Member

And what if I just kill the one, retreat from the house, then after walking around Hommlet return and try to finish the other? This dust works just for 2d6 rounds. Don't they have the unlimited dust?

I also usually fulfil the coureer quest and these traders offered money or a weapon. I always took the short sword +1 even if I don't need it, because this sword is the real weapon of a trader. So taking the shortsword ment that I disarmed one of the traders. When the fight began I tried to kill the other trader who had the remaining sword. The other trader attacked me with just a dagger. Though I didn't try this for mod 5.0.0.

BTW I often reach about 990 experience when I have to do the quest with coureer and gambling quest. These quests are better to complete at exp level 2 so I usually got those needed few experience by killing Zert on the 2nd floor. He is evil and alone... And has enough money... But how is in the mod 5.0.0.? Will this lead to any spoiling? Since I've read, that I should have met him again while travelling...

PS I didn't encounter the goblin with BJ's ring (in Hommlet). Is he all right? :) Will I meet him later or do I have to search Hommlet more thoroughly? In fact for the first time I found that goblin just occasionally since there is no serious need to explore the every inch of Hommlet. And as the mod removed the "fog of war" it's impossible to remember, which areas I explored and which not.

7. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

"ring of BJ"

*now that sounds like a cool magic item!*

:dance:

8. TOEEHamster

TOEEHamster Member

BJ's ring was relocated somewhere else.

9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

When you attack the Traders, once they go invisibile, they leave town. In which case you will see them again elsewhere.

The goblin with Black Jay's ring is no longer in Homlett (since it's really silly for a lone goblin to be hanging around outside Jay's house and no one noticing.) The ring can now be found outside of Homlett in the hands (or other parts) of different creatures, depending on your alignment. Just make sure you take any quests that take you outside the villiage and check your enemies for treasure, even those who wouldn't necessarily wear anything, but might swallow it (or at least swallow something wearing it)

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Don't wear it around Bertram.

:blowme:

Now, that's just wrong.

11. webusver

Wow! It's thrilling! But it makes me even more willing to try to kill them right in Hommlet. Being at least at 2-exp level. Specially for this matter I restarted again yesterday and will try to use Charm Person, Command, Sanctuary, Ghoul touch, Glitterdust or other 1-2 spells. BTW my sorceress may also learn Invisibility to protect my heroes from invisible attackers. Especially interesting, how the battle will go if it will be started with casting Glitterdust spell?!

But, is there any benefit in leaving them both or one of them alive? As I said, the motivation to kill them is very high to me. One guy has a smart chainmail for the beginning and I often use his Dust of disappearence myself to win against the first giant. There is also a sporting interest in this - to kill a high-level enemy with a low-level team to get lot's of extra experience from challenge bonus... When I meet them later at equal level will they be a challenge? Will this be more rewarding? Will they have another equipment and weapons?

As for goblin, I understand, yes the new idea seems better. I only hope he (or "it") is not placed somewhere in such a place where nobody could imagine to try to search.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

they do gear up abit, if you let them get away. they must have mates somewhere that look after thier other gear.

13. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

When you meet them again will be plenty challenging, and yes, there will be more loot. My only hint is to ask around Nulb about real estate.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

[OT]

webusver -

If you want to update the community on your progress through the game, that's perfectly fine. I'm sure we can all appreciate your enthusiasm for playing through ToEE for the first time. We're also more than happy to help with any bugs you may find. But I would suggest that you refrain from looking for tips, hints, advance intelligence, plot spoilers, enemy troop deployment, NPC allegiance, et al. You're only harming your virgin enjoyment of the ToEE experience by knowing these things.

For example, will it be as fun to be ambushed by the traders now that you know it's coming? The first time it happened to me I was completely unaware of it, and it was quite a thrill. Your advance knowledge of this plot was by no means neccesary for your continuation of the game.

Rest assured that ToEE as created by Troika was a professional game design. They're not going to blindly miss plot developments and leave you unable to progress. While Co8 can't bost technically professional level game design, as by definition we're not making a living doing this, I feel fairly confident that you're not going to run into many (if any) game-breaking twists with our added material. Everything gets tested pretty exstensively through our beta releases.

So do yourself a favor: simply let the game happen for you. You'll be glad you did when it's over. :mrhappy:

15. webusver

Ok. I understand you. In fact I have already killed them both, being at 2-nd level. And yesterday I was 100% sure to do so. My question was just about what shall I miss in this case... So I just know that there will nothing happen with real estate in Nulb and I will not receive some loot. But I used to kill those traders in original version and was really going to repeat this once again. And it's very interesting to know what would happen in other cases.

BTW, the game is great! Especially that there are now few (or better say "no") RPGs with a large party. And it has some clever tactics, which is also good.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
Our Host!