Top 15 annoyances in ToEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sitra Achara, Sep 19, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

Fair point there ;) I guess I'm just so used to the idea of hitting far / flying / moving targets with ranged weapons. Military background I suppose..
    To wait for the harpy to attack is more like a spider defence against flying in Magic The Gathering.. hee hee

2. relic

relic Established Member

@ithildur: first edition AD&D gave you 1 magic missile every 2 levels with no cap. I only played 1e, so I was unaware there has been a 5-missile cap for over 20 years. Whoa, I'm out of touch...

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

TOEE used to give you 356 magic missiles before the early fixes. ;)

I called it the level one meteor storm.

4. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

One of my number one annoyance is when you use a healing potion and get 1 or 2 hit points.
    Number two is when a character gains a new level and at the end of levelling him up it turns out he gained only 1 or 2 HP. (I know I can set to max HP in the options but that would be kind of cheating to me)

5. tom

tom Established Member

I like the occasional low hit point roll - Ive been playing a pen and paper illusionist with a constitution of 3 ( rolled four ones) for many years. That's a bonus of -3 hit points per hit dice. I play him as if he has a heart condition and could die any minute - so why not see the world, do some adventuring and live a little before the inevitable? Its a nice change to the money, power, magic drive of your average adventurer.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  6. tom

tom Established Member

Pet peves

The unusually piercing sound that read magic makes when it is cast.

The lack of higher level random encounters - at low level they can be a serious risk but once you get to about 9th level they are non events, only the occasional chance of robbing a giant of his pocket money makes them worth stopping for.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. tom

tom Established Member

crashes to desk top - Once i had done a factory reboot to get rid of a dll file problem - I only had one crash to desktop!! so they are much improved. It did require a reinstall of game to return to play afterwards, luckily my save games were unaffected.

Freezing frame in the elemental nodes - would this be down to path finding?

The fact that there is no option to take opponents prisoner. So my paladin is forced to murder opponents with a coup de grace in their sleep and does not fall for doing it.

Getting whisked away so that you can no longer rifle the gem hoard after doing "her" in.

Having to die to get rid of spell permanency - yes it is made as painless as possible but still it grates a little. I take every death personally.

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Hmm, you're still getting freezes in the nodes? Where does this happen?

It's related to particle effects by the way.

9. tom

tom Established Member

The battle with the Balor. How ever much I try this I only win by dumb luck. This is ok but why is a Balor so much harder to kill than "she " is? It may be that Balors love that sort of thing and she likes to leave it to her minions but none the less she is far to easy to kill.

I've only had one fight when the room filled with demons and fungi - most times she puts up a feeble effort as she is hacked to fungal sushi.

10. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I find it moderately annoying that there are some Alignment combos that are incompatible for a party, yet NPCs are recruitable with very few exceptions. I can see that a LN stickler and a CG libertarian are going to disagree on what is actually best for people (a well-ordered society vs doing good despite the law), but in the context of a game that starts out fighting bandits and moves on to fighting cultists and demons you'd think that they could put away their differences. I find it harder to believe that LG and LE could co-exist peacefully, or that LN, LG and NG can be friends, but that the addition of TN needs must cause one of them (any one) to leave the group. I know that to a certain extent the game is a victim of the D&D alignment system (which by necessity treats alignments a bit like 'team colours' for the purposes of game mechanics but seems to want them to be more nuanced for role-playing purposes), and in some ways it makes it easier (no need to worry about friendly fire is you have an all-good party where the cleric is laying down the Holy Smite and Holy Word!), but it does make trying to put together parties of imagined personalities a bit trickier.

11. sirchet

Thanks, that's a point I had forgotten.

A bothersome thing is that Holy Word will kill NG players sometimes.

12. tom

tom Established Member

...and another thing, when your character has a full inventory is given something like a quest note or worst of all scather and the thing vanishes.

13. sirchet

I thought this was changed to drop the item on the ground, I know if you have a full inventory when unlocking the check for the Smyth the book of heroes will drop to the ground.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re: Elmo's gear, you can talk to him and negotiate for him to sell or give up his gear (he should part with everything except the magic dagger). Ditto other NPCs. This was added to prevent people hiring NPCs, looting them, then dumping them 3 seconds later.

15. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I tried to buy it from him, all he says is, "I can not do that" and my only response is "well maybe when we know each other better"

Then I after I got a level with him, I told him I could replace or improve it and he let me have it. I guess I never asked him after I leveled him up before. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Our Host!