ToEE World Builder v1.7.5

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Jul 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re: ToEE World Builder Public Beta 1

Thanks Agetian, if u can get a door going for the house behind the brewery I would appreciate it. I can hack in the details afterwards.

Edit: I should mention, my .sec thingy embeds into an existing .sec file on the Hommlet map, not one from my cutsom map, so the fact it jumps to a custom map should not be an issue. As I said, if you can get it to jump to an existing point, I can hack in the new jumppoint myself.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

@ Shiningted: your problem confirmed to be a bug in the editor (the autodetection failed for certain larger maps due to the weirdness in the code that deals with coordinates). Fixed. I uploaded a new version. Please tell me if it works now (you'll have to start from scratch, though. Also, the sector file that you embedded into was the incorrect one, so you'll have to copy the old .sec files back). If it doesn't work, please tell me the SEC file name that was autodetected when you clicked "Embed", OK? This way I'll be able to trace the problem easier.

New version features (Beta R1.1):
    -------------------------------------------

- fixed a bug in the sector autodetect routine that failed on larger maps
    - disabled certain debug functions (should make the editor a little faster)
    - disabled a confusing debug menu that sometimes could cause crashes if used

Enjoy!
    Thanks for reporting this bug, Shiningted! It's awesome that we figured it out early :)

- Agetian

3. Agetian

@ Everyone: just uploaded yet another version of Beta R1.1 that fixes one more bug (not that big one, but still). So everyone who downloaded Beta R1.1 before the moment this was posted, please redownload again.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

Beta R1.1 Hot Update
    ---------------------------

- fixed a bug that caused the sector coordinates to be displayed incorrectly at certain times

4. Shiningted

Testing now, gimme half hour.

Edit: Well... when I enter the sector involved, the game goes berserk. It slows massively, though not quite the same as the nodes, the little effects go out of control - butterflies and swirly things and smoke from the chimneys are everywhere - and the game CTD's after a while.

And no door on the house :(

Will try again to make sure.

2nd Edit - o and a funny things happen to the sounds: they get stored in a sort of cache folder called 'TIGCache' in the modules folder, rather than playing. Vocal sounds that is, both from my PC's and on one occasion from Elmo whom I had just met. They are the 'yes sir' sounds of me trying to get the characters to go toward the house. Never seen that before.

5. Agetian

What coordinates do you use, btw?
    I can try reproducing this...

[EDIT]: Just tried it - it seems that there is something in the game mechanics that I don't know yet. Your error only occurs when moving from one sector to another, and also it doesn't happen all the time to me. I was able to create a door icon without any problem, but the problem occured to me once when I tried to move from sector to sector (it didn't happen the other time though, and I don't know why). It will probably take some time before I can reveal why this happens though (everything that I *know* about is in place, and it's working correctly, at least at the level it *can* work). I'll keep you posted on what I figure out.

- Agetian

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Just tested the new version - I GOT DOORS, and they work too. Thanks. Right now how do I add some new citizens to the city? Hhhmmmm.... I think i'll figure it out.

7. Agetian

@ Shiningted: Just tried it once again (I actually changed something in the SEC saving routine) and the problem didn't seem to happen to me anymore.

Try this SEC file and tell me if it works.
    It's for Hommlet Exterior (620,303), set to jump point #262

- Agetian

Attached Files:

8. Agetian

@ Shiningted: Just updated ToEE World Builder to version 1.2. It *may* fix the bug with entering sectors crashing the game, though I'm not sure if I'm getting the source of this error right... it may just as well be something that I don't know yet (something deeply technical). So try it and see if it helps (also, try that SEC file published above)

@ Everyone: ToEEWB Public Beta R1.2 is up. I updated a lot of things in the editor's protection system in order to ensure that it'll crash less. Also some things were fixed in order to prevent potential bugs with sectors (I'm still unsure if it helped - seems to work fine for me till now).

Beta R1.2 - Jul 9 2005
    ----------------------------

- added proper credits, both to the editor itself and to whatsnew.txt
    - modified the container load/save routine. NOTE: The container/NPC mob files will now be auto-saved when you add or remove items to them! This is done to prevent accidental data corruption.
    - updated the loading routine to detect duplicate entries in description.mes and long_description.mes and provide an error message instead of crashing the loader (which used to lead to critical errors if the crash message is ignored)
    - modified the tab/mes loader so that it doesn't fail to load prototypes EVEN if duplicate entries are found in tab/mes files.
    - IMPORTANT: modified some aspects of compatibility system when saving MOB & SEC files. This could lead to less errors when saving mob/sec files. However, the side effect of this is that all MOB files created with previous betas of ToEEWB will be marked as INCOMPATIBLE. However, it's still OK to open them in the forced mode (you won't encounter any problems).
    - now ToEE World Builder comes together with the new version of ToEE Front-end (version 2.0). I added support for Drifter's Max HP patch in version 2.0.

- Agetian

9. Shiningted

Thanks Agetian, I will give it a go now. Again gimme half hour.

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Just a quick thank you to Agetian for posting his World Builder (and to dulcaoin for his help in creating it) - I'm sorry I haven't had the time to finish the tutorials I wanted to do. I'm swamped with work and have to meet a deadline next week.

11. Shiningted

Sorry Agetian, I tried a few times and didnt have any luck. I made my own, and tried yours too, same thing (though with yours there wasn't the particle berserking, I take it you removed all objects first? Also, there was a tree missing).

I dunno about moving from sector to sector but it happend both when I loaded parties on various parts of the Hommlet map and also when I came from inside the house (ie I teleported straight into that sector).

I was using 620, 303 as coords but was only guessing if these are right on the door... I use 624, 301 as the coords to come out and they put me right outside the door.

12. Agetian

@ Shiningted: Yeah, the problem seems to persist for me too, even though it doesn't show up every time. It may have to do with some kind of a memory leak that occurs because not everything is set in the sector file (just because I'm unaware of what else has to be set). Anyway, all of this is deeply complicated. This will require additional research, and it probably will take much more than one day to finish it (especially considering that I'm short on time atm). BUT-- I have a temporary solution for you so your door dream can come true. This will involve scripting, though. Basically, you'll have to find a conduit for a script that will spawn our door (you can create a new invisible proto, assign a script to its "san_heartbeat" and make a MOB file for it with coordinates close to the beginning of the Hommlet Exterior so that the door is definitely spawned when the player first enters Hommlet). The script should be like this:

Code:
    from toee import *
    from utilities import *

def san_heartbeat( attachee, triggerer ):
        mydoor = game.obj_create(2011, location_from_axis(620, 303))
        mydoor.obj_set_int(obj_f_scenery_teleport_to, 262)
        attachee.destroy()
        return RUN_DEFAULT
    In this script, "2011" is the proto ID for the door icon, and "262" is the target jumppoint ID. I hope this temporary solution helps.

I promise to research sector files in the future so that the issue you told me about can be fixed.

- Agetian

13. Shiningted

Thanks Agetian I will give that a go... actually, I will use that form of spawning throughout my mod, rather than .mobbing things in, because I only want stuff to appear if people are following my quest. But in any case the character I have living in that house is a recluse and if there is no door going in its ok (there is already a very sensible dlg 'go straight to house' option people can use.)

Thanks for all your help, I hope this can be figured out since there are quite a few houses like that on the Hommlet map and its a good place for new modders to start adding new maps. But if u need a while thats fine by me :)

Edit: I don't suppose the World Builder has an "appear under certain circumstances" feature for mobs? I tried going through certain mobs myself looking for flags (like Terjon's) to make them fire but got nowhere as usual.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  14. Agetian

This feat has to be scripted at the moment. I've been digging through the list of possible mob properties that could control this, but found none yet. Anyway, you can easily attach scripts to MOB files (create a new proto, assign a script to it, and make a mob file off that proto) so it's no biggie at the moment I guess.

I hope this helps.
    - Agetian

15. Agetian

@ Shiningted: Wait - I seem to have found another solution about sectors, but I need more time to test it more thoroughly and make sure it actually works (and also implement a modified saving routine). If you'll be willing to test it I'd really appreciate that. Give me 5-6 hours and I'll come up with another fix, OK?

- Agetian

Our Host!