ToEE World Builder v1.7.5

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Jul 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Re: ToEE World Builder Public Beta 1

Just uploaded it again - should work fine now. Seems WinZIP failed me last time :scratchhe

- Agetian

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I'm still getting problems, If I try to make a new .mob file the JIT debugging window pops up, and the prototype drop box is empty, how do I enable JIT debugging?

the error message I get is.... [EDIT] long, complicated and has probably served it's purpose, and has been removed.

I hope I can fix this issue as this is just the sort of program this game needs to add much needed new content.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  3. Agetian

@ Allyx: Hmm... I don't seem to be able to reproduce your problem. Whatever I do .mob file creation works just fine for me. What I understand from the error message is that it may be something that has to do with inability to correctly parse your TAB/MES files for some reason (even though I never came across such a case myself). In fact, it looks like the prototypes were not loaded or they were interpreted incorrectly. Please contact me by e-mail (see ToEE World Builder.rtf for my e-mail address) and send me your protos.tab, description.mes, and long_description.mes so I can investigate further.

Also, please describe the problem in more detail (did you try creating a new mob file right after you started the editor? if not, what have you done before clicking "New" in the object editor? what tab/mes files did you use? did toeewb report any warnings or errors during loading time?)

Thanks in advance for reporting your problem in more detail - that will help me to reproduce your problem and fix the bug ASAP (if it's a bug in the program).

- Agetian

4. Agetian

@ Allyx and everyone who gets the bug reported above:
    ahhh, *that* problem... :smarty: I encountered a similar error during the early testing stage but I thought it was my mistake. Now it turns out that this error has deeper roots going back to Livonya's Mod with Allyx's modifications, so.......

Alright, this problem is not a bug in the editor. It is caused by the fact that "long_description.mes" (presumably the one from Livonya's Mod + Allyx's mod) has two lines with the label "12604", which is incorrectly interpreted by the loading routine of ToEE World Builder. The fact that there are two lines with the same index confuses the loader and it fails to make a memory map of all the prototypes, which causes your next error (when you try to make a new .mob file).

I'm not sure if those duplicate 12604s were intentional or not. If they were not intentional, my suggestion would be to remove one of them, or at least assign one of them to a different number. This will instantly fix your error.

If they ARE intentional (?) and there MUST be two lines with #12604, I suggest you to comment one of them at least temporarily while you use ToEE World Builder. No, seriosuly, if there IS a reason for two lines with the same number, tell me about it and I'll add support for duplicate long descriptions in the next ToEEWB release, OK?

P.S. On second consideration, I think that the second #12604 should, in fact, be #12605 (it was mistakenly set to 12604)... at least judging by description.mes.

- Agetian

5. Allyx

Thanks for all your help Agetian, it seems to be working now, Oh and as it turns out the problem with my long_description.mes was MY fault not Livonya's I added a more filled in version off this file to this forum (somewhere) I'll track it down and upload the corrected one.

6. Agetian

@ Allyx: Glad to be of help.

@ Everyone: I added a small tutorial on how to create a container and fill it with stuff. It's available in the topmost post.

- Agetian

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've noticed a couple other people play it on 98, but anyways, I have a dodgy version of XP (not illegal, just flawed!) I am learning to live with the OS swapping though.

Thanks a lot for the rapid updates, will have a look at the tutorials in the morning.

O and the program picked up 3 duplicates in my protos, nicely done! But I will be doing a fresh one before I release my little mod anyways.

8. Allyx

Still having problems, the tool is working fine - no problems. Followed the first tutorial to the letter, still no door. Do I have to put some item flags for the door icon? OF_SEE_THROUGH? Or something? Or should I set the co-ordinates a little further from the "wall" I want to put it in?

9. Agetian

Hmm... I didn't really post the tutorial about 'doors', I posted a tutorial about 'door icons' (for teleporting). What are you trying to do at this moment, by the way? Are you trying to create a door itself or a door icon teleporting you to another area?
    Please clarify your goal so I can help you more.

[EDIT: By the way, the tutorial I posted is for Tutorial Map 1... I'm not sure if that's the map you experimented with when you tried the tutorial. Make sure it's Tutorial Map 1... Other maps will use different coordinates]

- Agetian

10. Allyx

I want to make a door icon to teleport me to another map, I changed the co-ordinates, for the door I want to spawn to the ones I got from the console on the new map - location_to_axis(game.party[0].location) style. The map I'm using is a copy of the NG Vignette (with the murderous thief) [the map co-ordinates are 0,0,0,5120,491,545]. I want a door to a copy of the LN vignette map [co-ordinates 0,0,0,5121,509,484]. Do I need to have the original maps .mob files to make this work? (currently i'm not using them) game.fade_and_teleport works fine, but the door doesn't?

11. Agetian

@ Allyx: OK. Here I would advise you to first follow the tutorial 1 without changing anything (just to find out how it works). You'll notice that everything in there is not about .MOB files at all, but about .SEC files. You'll have to create static objects for door icons in both of your new maps, and connect them using jump points (create new jump points for each of the door icons, then set the "Use As A Teleport with Destination" property for each of them).
    The coordinates shouldn't be a problem, at least as long as you use valid game coordinates, so if you found out your coords using game.party[0].location you should be fine...
    Make sure you EMBED your objects into sector files (.secs), not save them into mobs... The game will not recognize your door icons if you save door icons to mob files (since they are static).
    Make sure you delete the game cache before proceeding (delete all the weird-named files in the "maps" folder of your game module).
    Well, there are more things I could think of, but first let's try the stuff I said above, OK?
    I hope this helps...

Regards,
    - Agetian

12. Shiningted

I got my 'door out' werking by hacking the sec file (with an existing door) with a hex editor and changing the jump point that way.

It doesn't help any one re this issue but I mention it because I am feeling quite chuffed. :goatee:

13. Agetian

@ Shiningted: this is a nice way to change an existing door icon waypoint, by the way. However, if you want to create new waypoints it's better to use the object editor and embed a new door icon into the sector file (a lot easier since it'll save you from a lot of headache :)

@ Allyx and everyone: So, did the tutorial work for you? Or for anyone else? I tried it again and it worked perfectly for me, so I'm still guessing what you're doing wrong so it doesn't work for you...

- Agetian

14. Shiningted

I still gotta add an 'in' door from the Hommlet map, my first attempt failed dismally so I will try it now with the tutorial and get back to you within the hour.

Edit: Well I read the tutorial, thought "thats exactly what I did", but gave it all another go feeling very confident. Alas, no dice, nothing on the hommlet map. I used coordinates right next to where my 'out' door dumps the party quite accurately, and remembered to delete the map cache. I checked the newly modified .sec file with a hex editor and sure enough the stuff was there, though I gotta wonder, there is nothing else in there, just endless rows of zeros and the newly embedded stuff at the end... shouldn't there be something in there for the houses and other sectors in the vicinity?

Anywas, will email u the .sec file and jumppoint.tab, gimme 5, and thanks again for all the effort.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  15. Agetian

@Shiningted: Hmm... It seems like you're using custom maps for jump points, so I won't be able to use your sector file directly without making a lot of custom changes. But, from what I get out of it, you have a problem that a door icon doesn't show up on the Hommlet Exterior map, right? I'll try adding something to the Hommlet Exterior (close to the beginning of a map) and I'll attach a sector file once and if I'm successful.

EDIT: Just tried it and the situation looks very weird: static object spawning works on certain maps and it doesn't work on certain other maps. It doesn't look like it's an editor problem though (technically it embeds things correctly), maybe it has to do with the fact that we don't understand the game mechanics at the 100% level yet (will we ever?). Anyway, this issue is currently being looked into. I'll post here as soon as I find out what's causing this problem and how to fix it.
    Thanks for reporting.

- Agetian

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
Our Host!