TOEE Wands are utterly worthless

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, Apr 28, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

You can rest in HB :/ I rested twice and nothing bad happened.

2. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I was told it was time sensitive, so I didn't :)... besides, it was a fun experience to have a marathon... especially when I started to run out.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Depending on party lvl you may not even need to rest. I was lvl6 when I went in, and rested once before the cave battle out of caution, could've probably handled it without.

4. taltamir

I was a lone elf wizard... I think I entered at level 7 and came out at level 10.

5. taltamir

Alright, finals are over and I have time again.
    A big issue I ran into is that wands can be crafted by the clerics, druids, wizards, sorcerers, bards, rangers and paladins.
    The thing is, the same spell would have different costs when crafted by different classes (to a degree, there is a lot of overlap).

At first I thought I would fix it via making duplicate craftable wands and separating them by class (not one per class, but one per price point).
    The problem is, a crafted item can require a minimum caster level, a spell known, a feat, and a race... but there is not a single item that requires a specific class to craft (so if it is possible, i have no idea what the notation would be).
    Class specific items are segregated by requiring class specific spells.

This raises an issue of which pricing point to use (also which spell level)... if a spell is a spell level 3 for bards and spell level 4 for wizards and clerics. Do I price it as the more expensive or less expensive spell? and should the wand use the bard or wizard casting. It appears to be completely random currently as to which class they chose to have each spell be cast at. But part of the issue is that a 3rd level bard spell is blocked by a globe of invulnerability, while a 4th level spell would not be.

I can't even say "well, I would just use cleric/wizard/druid" type because you have spells that are available to multiple classes, just not those (example, bards and paladins or rangers).

I could just leave pricing as it is I guess, and only alter charge amounts (and only on wands craftable by players, I am making sure not to alter non craftable wands).
    Suggestions and ideas are welcome.

EDIT: I just had an AWESOME idea... "Simple Weapon Proficiency: Wizard"
    The game has a unique weapon proficiency feat for every caster class... I could add it as a feat requirement to effectively act as a class requirement. This could allow for segregation of wands via class. And thus using correct PnP pricing. I will have to test it...
    This would mean that it is possible to be a bard 1/wizard 9 and craft a wand as a bard 7... but other then that things will all work out perfectly. and multiclassing casters have it hard enough as it is :) (plus they can just not use it that way). besides, current crafting already kinda works that way.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
Our Host!