ToEE Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Jul 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I know we're all supposed to be focusing on KotB, but I'm afraid ToEE will forever be an 'unfinished' module. Sorry, Ted. :shrug: ;)

Here's a few more ToEE-related suggestions. See what you think.

A Badger in every driveway: If the Badgers are the local law, it might be appropriate to post one or two at the Church of St. Cuthbert, the Grove, and the Town Defense or whatever they call Kenter's place. We've already got a badger at the inn, which is cool, and of course they're all over the place at the castle. Some questions - are the badgers and the 'village troops,' which Rufus commands, one and the same? If so, what kind of numbers would they have in total? If there were enough to spare, I'd think they might post two at each location where they offer security services. If somebody got shit-faced at the inn and wanted to brawl, for example, they'd like to have two guys available to beat him down.

Security starts at home, part I: Can we make residences and businesses unaccessable during overnight hours? It's nice having Brother Smythe available for that 3 a.m. craving for a masterwork dagger, but he doesn't really work 24 hours a day, does he? I would think regular businesses would close at night, but the church would probably be a 24/7 operation. Maybe Ronald could work the nightshift. This might seem an irritating proposition, but remember, immersion goes a long way, and in most places people sleep at night.

The Hommlet Help Board: I've been playing a LN campaign and trying to RP it as honestly as possible, which means I tend not to go wandering into people's homes at random. Consequently, I haven't gotten any hooks to a great deal of the Hommlet quests. We could fix that by having a notice board somewhere in town, kind of like the bulletin board at the local community college. "Notice: Tarim is looking for assistance with a Deklo wood shortage. If your interested, go see him at his house on the southwest side of town." Etc., etc. Problem solved. I think they did that in the original PoR goldbox game.

Security starts at home, part II: Some key buildings in town should have limited admittance. It's kind of foolish to think that they'd just let you go wandering around in the castle, for example. One way to solve this would be to have someone challenge you once you enter the building, sort of like Clamert does with Terjon, only it should happen immediately after the map change. If you didn't have some legit reason for being there ("I understand the church serving lady's looking for flour, based on what I read on the notice board. Take me to her at once!"), you'd have to leave. This of course wouldn't apply to walk-in businesses during normal hours of operation.

Sammy the rat-faced boy: This one still irritates the shit out of me. I go to Nulb, see Otis' apprentice Sammy there, and he offers to give up Otis' stash. I either say "No way!" and it goes no further, or I try to get to the bottom of this property theft proposal (being LN) and suddenly find myself a part of the conspiracy. There should be a way to simply turn Sammy the rat-faced boy in, or at least tell him to shut up and get back to work.

That's enough for now. If anybody else has some ideas (reasonable, please), post them here.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I discussed this with Blue and Ruf this weekend. There are problems when you move traders about so it can't be done at the moment.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It could be done, like I did with Burne and Otis, but its a little complicated.

Say you wanted to have Brother Smyth in his house and night. You would have to make a second Brother Smyth, identical to the first in all but one small and insignificant detail, and place him in the exact same spot. When night comes, the original would turn off, and the duplicate would turn on, and go into his house. That's if you wanted to get fancy and have a day\night transfer. I could just be as simple as turning the one at the anvil off and turning the one in the house on. But you still would need two of them. Most of the other merchants work out of their houses, so you could just restrict barter options to daytime only.

4. Zebedee

Thanks for clarifying Blue. I've confused "darned finicky" with "impossible" :writersbl

If it is possible, I'd love to see it implemented.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

How about just locking their doors at night? If you can't get in, you can't trade with them. You could always pick the lock, but maybe a percentage chance of alerting the badgers could be added?

Almost forgot - I'd still like to see Burne's Beavers added too. ;)

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

A few answers, in no particular order:

The home of the town Elder is referred to as a "walled manor house." There are 16 badgers, along with a Captain (L-5) & a Lieutenant (L-3) for 18 total. Hardly enough to station around Hommlet. They are best used roving about, with most at the tower. This is different from the militia, which is village folk with some training. Most are L-0, with a few notable exceptions like Elmo...but he is masquerading as a man-at-arms, don't forget. In times of attack, the non-combatants would be secured somewhere like the tower, while the militia & the badgers got organized. Once the Keep is completed, that would become the shelter in time of conflict.

Bulletin board - wouldn't this be at the Welcome Wench?

Locking doors & trading in daytime; I'm all for that.

Sammy - Along with being a L-1 fighter & apprentice smith with a rat-face, he is described as being an alert snoop, so telling Otis ought to get him "in dutch" at the least.

7. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

But then which way do you go with Sammy? His rat face makes him seem untrustworthy. But Otis himself is immersed into Nulb, as an undercover agent. Is he an alert snoop trying to discern your motives for his boss?

or

Is he an alert snoop just waiting for the right moment to score a little pocket money?

If he is alert he would make sure to make you a part of his little sceme, just to ensure that doubling crossing him would be as painful for you as it is for him.

Not that I really understand the criminal mind, but thats the way books and movies always work. Unless your dealing with a dolt.

I read up on this and his alignment is Neutral, I'll take a shot at Sammy since I avoid him now for the reasons Gaear stated.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The most likely scenario. I think he's something less than a criminal; an idiot with a wagging tongue. His info is something that will aid good parties and bad ones alike; one to the detriment of the Temple, the other to the detriment of Otis. There's also a smith's boy named Chon (L-0, AL=NG). Perhaps he can be brought into the mix; replacing Sammy in the forge? Then Sammy can go to work somewhere else...like someplace in the Temple, or perhaps as brigand or beggar. Maybe he can join Tolub's crew; pirate/blacksmith?

9. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Gaear rat boy isn't voiced as yet is he? Because I see some sweeping changes to him, in the future. Feel free to script any dialog you would like to see.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

These are all good ideas, and things that WILL occur in KotB (you may have already noticed you get challenged when you wander into places like the Guildhouse and the Bailiff's Tower). Likewise all the traders will go home at night and tell you to come back in the morning.

C-Blue - are u saying using standpoints across maps breaks the link with the shop box? Thats been tested? Hmmm... its a bugger but its not surprising.

To make doors unaccessable according to time of day etc, perhaps they should work not as direct portals but as sectored scenery that have a san_use script attached. Then the script takes into account whether you have the password, or whether you have the key, or whether it is daytime etc. A bit of a pain to change them but its only a handful, right? And the result would be the same - u click on it, if it is good to go, you get teleported. If not, u get an appropriate floatline.

[Edit] Of course my main suggestion would be PUT THIS EFFORT INTO KOTB!!! :rant:

11. Zebedee

I'd like to see some integration of Paladins into the game. Certainly better ways for them to fall than to get drunk or accidentally enter a brothel.

Hezrou are meant to be chatty demons - do they do this in the game? Might be fun to add something in.

12. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Personly I prefer the locked door idea, too replacing them with ones that don'nt work during the day. Seems more realistic to me, if you're rogue can pick the lock and you choose to, you should be able to. Of course it would mean changing/adding dialogue for the night-time.

Cuchulainn.

13. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Yes Ted, it has been proved that changing maps with a shopkeeper breaks the link with his shop inventory. That's why I had to do Burne and Otis like I did.

I haven't tested how far away you can move a shopkeeper on the same map without breaking the link, but it seems to me he would have to stay in the same sector as his shop container.

The locking doors seems way to complicated to me. It would be more than just a handful. If shopkeepers who work out of their homes lock their doors at night, why wouldn't all the Hommlet residents? It is simpler, and makes more sense to me, just to give them dialog that tells you to come back in the morning. I know Gaear won't like that, since it will mean extra voice work or unvoiced lines, but to me it is the best solution.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well Nira moves around the room with day/night standpoints quite comfortably. Also, as I mentioned somewhere, I moved the cabinet-makers box out to an open area of his sector to see if it would help it respawn (it didn't) but despite the long distance (across one sector) it still functioned fine. I would tihnk anywhere in the sector is fine.

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Again you guy's miss the obvious, and easiest solution. Add (is_daytime == 1) to the requirements of the barter response during the day, and a (is_daytime != 1) to the requirements of the "I only work during the day" response.

Our Host!