TOEE Level Cap Remover Version 0.10

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by duggelz, Jul 18, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. efibacchus

efibacchus Member

well, it ran then informed me that i have no temple.dll. searched around, and ya know? i DON'T have a temple.dll. any ideas?

2. duggelz

duggelz Member

anilyamaner, I have no idea. Sorry. You might have some security software blocking the script, or you might not have write permission to the TOEE directory.

efibacchus, you need to install the second official patch.

3. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

I couldnt install the mod when I had the scroll merchant and ID all mods. I'm not sure if it was both or just one, but installing a fresh copy without them did the trick.

4. GothTart

GothTart Member

level cap or just toe bug?

Not sure if this prob is just a toe bug or if it is due to leveling up past 10 with the cap remover, ever since my wizard leveled up to 12 he has gone back to firing single magic missiles per spell, maybe since the game isn't designed to go above 10 it got confused when it was supposed to give him an extra missile per spell at 12 and just put it back to 1?

5. Steve

Steve Member

I have the same, my sorceress went from 10 to 11 and now i only have 1 magic missile. Offcourse i saved after i leveled up and didn't save for about 9000xp points of playing before that :( ;)

Haven't checked if it also disturbs other greater level greater effect spels.

6. moebius2778

moebius2778 Member Veteran

re: Magic Missiles

I think I've got that bug worked out. Here are the changes needed:

in temple.dll, address 0x000774F8:

old:
    8D 43 FD 83 F8 07 C7 46 21 01 00 00 00 77 48 FF 24 85 EC 75 07 10

new:
    8D 43 01 D1 F8 83 F8 05 7C 05 B8 05 00 00 00 89 46 24 EB 46

For those of you interested, it replaces this:

lea eax, [ebx - 3]
    cmp eax, 7
    mov dword ptr[esi + 0x24], 0x00000001
    ja max_targets_end (0x00077552)
    jmp ds : [EAX * 4 + 0x100775EC]

with this:

lea eax, [ebx + 1]
    shr eax, 1
    cmp eax, 5
    jl 00075707
    mov eax, 5
    mov dword ptr[esi + 0x24], eax
    jmp max_targets_end (0x00077552)

I haven't tested it extensively, but it works at levels 8 and 3. And yes, they have lookup table to calculate the number of missiles you get. It's... odd.

7. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Really nice! I wish I could help but I try not to touch things which I have little knowledge of. I think some of us need to do a little reading on assembly opcode, registers and stuff just to keep up. ;)
    Any nice online list which covers this, for interest's sake?

8. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Assembly isn't usually something you just "wade" into ... It gets deep fast, and since your working at such a low level, it's easy to break things.

If we have 1 or 2 people who are comfortable with assembly, we should try and get them to concentrate/specialize in it...

We can offload to others (ME), non assembly grunt work.. The assembly bits are very important to get worked on, as I think Moebius is the only one who can decipher em..

9. tristan3056

tristan3056 Member

Hey!

I get the following error when I try to run the script:
    Line: 145
    Char: 3
    Error:
    "Invalid root in registry key"
    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninestall\{AD80F06B-oF21-4EEE-934D-BEFOD21E6383}\InstallLocation"
    Code: 80070002
    Source: WshShell.RegRead

Any clue? I have DLed version of the game, btw, and the Co8 mods installed. No official patched (they don't want to install).

T.

10. zhuge

The unpatched downloaded version of the game has no dll. All source code is in the exe and I don't think the level cap remover will be able to read it properly.
    The level cap remover requires the retail version of Temple of Elemental Evil to be installed on your PC, along with the second official patch.

However it appears that there is now a properly patched version of the downloadable Trymedia game. See:
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=412556

First try to see if you can get this patched Trymedia version.

If so, reapplying Co8 mod pack should not be a problem.

Lastly, you can try to reinstall the level cap remover (though it still may not work - depending on how the Trymedia dll and exe were implemented).

Do report your progress so that others may also learn of it.

11. zhuge

Agreed on all points. I think it would be nice if duggelz, spOOL and moebius could get together and look for fixable things. Mailing duggelz is one way to start and since moebius did a fix for his level cap remover mod, I'm sure he'd be appreciative of it.
    <hint, hint> ;)

12. moebius2778

re: Javascript

I haven't tested this... but make the following changes to the .js:

replace:

installDir = wshShell.RegRead("HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\{AD80F06B-0F21-4EEE-934D-BEF0D21E6383}\\InstallLocation")

with:

installDir = "c: \games\ToEE"
    (or wherever ToEE is installed)

Umm... I've no idea if it'll work with the downloadable version, or with any version other than patch 2.0.0, so use at your own risk.

13. moebius2778

max_Target fix

I've come up with a hack to allow some control of max_Target for caster level dependent spells.

Basically, it'll kick in if the spell's max_Target are <= 0, in which case it interprets it as:
    -abc, where the maximum number of targets are min(a, (caster_level + c) / (b + 1)).

So magic missile would be -511, scorching ray would be -331, chain lightning would be -001, heat metal would be -010, and rage would be -020.

There's also a chunk of code to deal with calm emotions in temple.dll, but I'm not sure that it's ever used, as calm emotions isn't a multi-targeting spell.

Attached Files:

14. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

How are you able to read the temple.dll?

I used PE viewer, and that just spit out assembly at me..

I ask because I can read and edit C (and C++) code, though it's been about 5 years..

15. moebius2778

Disassembler

I'm using IDA - it's a combination disassembler/debugger. Very nice tool. It disassembles to assembler code as well.

I'm afraid I don't know any good C/C++ disassemblers. They'd certainly make messing with temple.dll a lot easier.

Our Host!