ToEE Front-End X Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by Agetian, Oct 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's exactly what you want to happen - the Co8 modpack absolutely requires the smaller executable.

2. Provodnik

Provodnik Member

I installed 6.0 NC and with it i got the latest ToEE Front-End X v3.0e
    - i have 33kb crack

Option
    *Show NPC hp option doesn't work for me
    (i hope this is for enemys total hp )

Any1 know how to fix it? :]

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I just tested it and it works fine for me. Did you save settings after you ticked the box in TFE-X?

4. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Can one try the linux TFE-X alternatively to the wine TFE-X, or will this corrupt savegames or something?

5. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hmm? Linux TFE-X is bundled now with Co8 6.0.0 and that's what you should use with Linux (not even sure if you can launch the regular Windows version of TFE-X under Linux, never tried).

- Agetian

6. Provodnik

Provodnik Member

I need simple info for this options in TFE-X
    (i didn't found them :( (i need some buff :D))
    1. Max HP for NPCs (From levels)

2. Max HP for NPCs (From HD)

3. Max HP per Level

7. Forgalz

Maybe it's not actually irrelevant. All this talking about optional settings had me take a closer look at the TFE-X interface. I have only a large red cross where one would expect a menu bar. Is this normal, or should there be, in fact, a menu bar? But in any case, it lets me run the game.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  8. Forgalz

Sorry, I think I accidentally edited my message when I meant to quote it.

Anyway, I was saying that I'm playing under Linux exclusively, and that I'm using "wine TFE-X.exe" to do it. I can't figure out how to use the Linux binary: when I type "mono TFE-X-linux" in the same TOEE root dir, I see to get the "must be in TOEE root folder" error that is mentioned on page 1 of this thread. I see that you reacted to it and fixed something, but I don't see how to make this work.

And yes, my question was, if I manage to switch front-ends, will this interact with (and possibly corrupt) my save-games?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  9. Agetian

@ Provodnik: The options you're talking about can be found in the "Options" menu. Max HP Per Level always gives you maximum HP at every level, Max HP for NPCs will give the same to the NPCs in your party, the calculation being based either on their hit dice (HD) or their level.

@ Forgalz: It's weird that you're having issues with the Linux binary but not with "wine TFE-X.exe", for on my distro (Linux Mint 10) I can't make "wine TFE-X.exe" work at all (it crashes) but the Linux binary works seamlessly. There is a bunch of complications with the Linux side of TFE-X - first of all, Linux is case-sensitive and many ToEE releases are rather free in their choice of case for the files. So, for starters, make sure that:

You have "toee.exe", "temple.dll", and "toee.cfg" all lowercase in the ToEE folder (if necessary, rename them to be all lowercase). If you have duplicates (e.g. toee.exe and ToEE.exe), only keep the lowercase version and remove (or, better, move away for safe-keeping if you need it back) the one with mixed case.

Then try again. "mono TFE-X-linux" or even a simple "./TFE-X-linux" (given that TFE-X-linux is chmodded with +x) should suffice.

Tell me if it works. And no, just changing front-ends shouldn't affect your saved games or anything in any way - the front-ends operate internally in exactly the same way.

P.S. And I'm working on improving the Linux edition of TFE-X to make it (hopefully) work seamlessly on a wider variety of combinations of Linux distros and ToEE releases.

- Agetian

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  10. Forgalz

I had, in fact, an uppercase TEMPLE.DLL (which strangely has a timestamp from yesterday, the last time I played the game. Is playing altering the dll? Weird.) After symlinking it (Edit: also after renaming it) to temple.dll, the front-end starts, kind of:

Code:
    $ cd toee
    $ ls temple.dll toee.exe toee.cfg
    temple.dll  toee.cfg  toee.exe
    $ mono -V
    Mono JIT compiler version 2.6.7 (tarball Sun Jan  2 20:31:39 CET 2011)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2010 Novell, Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    	TLS:           __thread
    	GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC and Parallel Mark)
    	SIGSEGV:       altstack
    	Notifications: epoll
    	Architecture:  x86
    	Disabled:      none
    $ mono TFE-X-linux 
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
      at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewColumn].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ColumnDisplayIndexToIndex (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.MoveCurrentCell (Int32 x, Int32 y, Boolean select, Boolean isControl, Boolean isShift, Boolean scroll) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnRowsAddedInternal (System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowsAddedEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView:OnRowsAddedInternal (System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowsAddedEventArgs)
      at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.AddCore (System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRow dataGridViewRow, Boolean sharable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.Add (System.Object[] values) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at TFE_X.TFEMain.TFEMainLoad (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoadInternal (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

... and I get a pop-up asking whether I'm sure I want to quit the ToEE Front-End. If I click "No", I get a window with strange geometry (very tall and thin), with a menu bar (as opposed to my wine TFE-X!), and which otherwise looks like it could be the front-end. But the menu fonts are somehow garbled (Edit: not really garbled, the text is somehow misplaced and only half lines are shown, that sort of thing; the visible parts of the glyphs are ok) and I can't resize the thing to actually properly see its contents.

This is on a Gentoo system where I do rolling updates for some years now. I can post more specific sysinfos if you tell me what you need. As I said, I don't know anything about Mono, and I don't have any idea what kind of problem this could be. (And I have wine 1.2, in case you care.)

Edit: This is how the filenames in the ToEE root look:
    Code:
    $ ls
    binkw32.dll                                pyToEE22.dll
    ChangeLog.txt                              temple.dll
    Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.2 BETA.jpg     Temple of Elemental Evil.tfm
    Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.2 BETA.tfm     Temple of Elemental Evil.tfs
    Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.2 BETA.tfs     Temple of Elemental Evil.txt
    Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.2 BETA.txt     TFE-X.exe
    Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.3 NC BETA.jpg  TFE-X.ini
    Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.3 NC BETA.tfm  TFE-X.jpg
    Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.3 NC BETA.tfs  TFE-X-linux
    Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.3 NC BETA.txt  TFE-X.log
    Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 NC.jpg       TFE-X-repair.exe
    Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 NC.tfm       TFE-X-repair.txt
    Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 NC.txt       TFE-X.tfd
    data                                       tig.dat
    docs_Co8 5.9.2                             tio.dll
    docs_Co8 5.9.3 NC                          ToEE1.dat
    docs_Co8 6.0.0 NC                          ToEE2.dat
    ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll                ToEE3.dat
    Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.dll             TOEE4.DAT
    miles                                      toee.cfg
    modules                                    toee.exe
    movies.tfp                                 TOEE.EXE.orig
    Mss32.dll                                  unins000.dat
    msvcr70.dll                                unins000.exe
    mt19937ar.txt                              zlib-1.2.1.dll

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  11. Forgalz

I also want to point out that my TFE-X-linux was not executable after installation, and when I make it executable, it does not execute:
    Code:
    $ chmod u+x TFE-X-linux 
    $ ./TFE-X-linux 
    bash: ./TFE-X-linux: cannot execute binary file

12. Agetian

Hmm, this is weird, seems like our Linux systems behave differently for some reason (./TFE-X-linux works for me and it automatically calls Mono to execute it instead of trying to parse it with bash or whatever is happening for you :\ ) At any rate, thanks for the detailed report, I'll see if I can dig up anything and figure out what's causing you trouble... I'll also see if I can set up some alternative Linux releases, including possibly Gentoo, in a virtual machine here and thus see how TFE-X-linux behaves on different systems. It might take me some time to work it out but I'll get back to you in a while.

Also, just to make sure - see if you have the System Windows Forms 2.0 CLI package for Mono installed (it's required by TFE-X-linux and it seems to be installed by default on Ubuntu and Mint but I'm not sure if it's auto-installed on Gentoo or other systems).

- Agetian

13. Forgalz

Disregard this subproblem, I figured it out and it's an unrelated problem. One needs CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC in the kernel, and then there is a doc in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/mono.txt that explains how to set this up so that one can call mono binaries directly. Apparently my mono package didn't set this up correctly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  14. Forgalz

Updated a bunch of libraries today, and can now reproduce your wine crash. Mono still doesn't work, but I hope it means I'm slowly approaching the state of your system.

15. Forgalz

Have you considered doing this with a simpler gui toolkit that can be linked statically (like fltk)? Might remove a lot of potential problems. For this relatively simple window that you need, mono seems really overkill anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!