ToEE and Anti Virus Software: Winners and Losers

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Jun 24, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Humorously, I tried to test Ad-Aware, Avira, and Avast before I got to 360/Qihoo. Ad-Aware and Avira were both "unable to connect to servers/random purpose," which doesn't exactly vouch for how robust they are, and Avast did my favorite "unknown error" message when I tried to install, followed by the even more helpful "please restart your computer and try again so we can waste a few minutes of your time and show you the same unknown error message after it fails then too" thing. :rolleyes:

I swear some of these outfits are like 'Uncle Freddy's Guud! Software' type operations.

sirchet and florian1 like this.
  2. Gaear

REPORT: ZONEALARM

VERSION: 2017

No. PASS

Yes. (Terminates the toee.exe process.) FAIL

Kind of strange - very slow, contradictory, verbiage seems like it was written by an ESL person. FAIL

Yes, but it still killed the toee.exe process anyway. FAIL

VERDICT: FAIL. ToEE is unplayable with this software installed.

3. Gaear

REPORT: AVAST

VERSION: 2016

No. PASS

No. PASS

Seems to. PASS

N/A. PASS

VERDICT: PASS. Plays nice with ToEE.

(Note that Avast only offers free 'trials,' and after one month you have to register, which is furthermore only good for one year.)

4. Gaear

REPORT: WINDOWS DEFENDER

VERSION: 1.1.1593.0

No. PASS

No. PASS

Seems to be okay. PASS

Yes. PASS

VERDICT: PASS. Plays nice with ToEE.

(Note that this was not a Windows 10 system.)

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Strangely, Norton Internet Security on my old Windows 7 machine suddenly decided (after almost six years) that temple.dll was a Trojan called Heur.AdvML.B and removed it. It happened about an hour ago for no reason I can figure out. Has anyone else seen this?

6. fkirenicus

fkirenicus Member

Trend Micro does NOT play nice with TOEE, not by a longshot. Quarantines/removes files, displays error messages etc.... CO8 and Temple+.

7. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

McAfee -

I can't speak to McAfee's compatibility with Toee, BUT, I can say that both the Small Business & Enterprise versions are horrific steaming piles of *&^%%$@!. I've had years of dealing with those apps and they have been nothing but horrific - Almost impossible to fully remove from a system - evening using the vendor's downloadable removal tools. Many time's I've had to use an offline registry editor and linux boot disc to remove McAfee from a system. Furthermore, both editions are serious resource hogs. Can't speak to the quality of the consumer editions but they can't imagine they'd be any better. For the love of all that is holy and good in this world
    stay away.... far away....

8. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

ESET
    Version 10.1.235 ( Paid edition )

OS - Win 7 Pro - 64 bit

1. Does the software delete or try to delete toee.exe and/or temple.dll on scans or just 'automagically?'
    No - Pass

2. Does the software not delete those files but interfere with the game process and make it unplayable?
    No - Pass

3. Does the software play nice overall? We don't want to recommend software that likes ToEE but sucks otherwise.
    Yes - Pass

4. Are you able to add toee-related files as 'exceptions' - meaning the software will ignore them if you tell it to?
    Yes - Pass

I've had good luck with this application on a couple of my systems since installing a couple of years ago. Low resource requirements and reasonably configurable.
    FMMV.

Our Host!