ToEE 10 Year Anniversary Thread: 9/16/2003 - 9/16/2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XVicious, Sep 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

For some strange reason, I've started compiling such a list recently, so this is a good opportunity to go on with it.

It's far from complete, particularly because I wasn't a modder before 2006, but it should include all the major contributions:

** zhuge
    ------First of the Torchbearers (modpack releases etc.)
    ** Phalzyr
    ------Early exploration and documentation of script commands
    ------Proto editor
    ** Morpheus (one of the original beta testers)
    ------Arena of Heroes
    ** sPool
    ------Party size modification
    ** moebius2778
    ------Many fixes for hard-coded bugs
    ** Agetian
    ------Reversing engineering file formats
    ------ToEE Front End
    ------ToEE World Builder (and earlier versions)
    ** dulcaoin
    ------Reverse engineering file formats
    ------Enhanced party size patcher
    ** Shiningted
    ------Desperate housewives
    ------Moathouse Respawn
    ------KotB
    ** Livonya -
    ------Lareth prison plot
    ------Traders getaway + revenge
    ------Gnolls from Moathouse plot
    ------Substantial and pioneering AI work
    ** Drifter
    ------Humble NPCs patch
    ** Kalshane
    ------Creature definition overhaul
    ** Cerulean the Blue
    ------Spell fixes and much scripting
    ------Extraplanar Chest
    ------Moathouse Ambush
    ------Second Torchbearer
    ** Dharmagon
    ------New Spells
    ** Endarire
    ------Ronald the Cleric NPC
    -Allyx
    ------Verbobonc 1.0 (back then it was ** Drow tunnels, Wilfrick vs. advisor plot, miscivous girls from temple)
    ------Shopmap 1.0
    ** krunch
    ------Hickory Branch 1.0
    ** Spellslinger
    ------Huge amount of fixes for hard-coded bugs
    -Hazelnut
    ------Monk's belt
    ------Path mapper tool
    ** Ranth
    ------War of the Golden Skull

As I said, I'ev stuck to what I see as the major contributions. Most of the above and many others are responsible for hundreds of bugfixes, new spells, new items, graphics, etc. Other notables that I can remember: Dhoom, rufnredde, Zebedee, maggit, Half Knight. And many many others who helped in testing, discussion, bug reports and other ways.
    I left myself out because, as the saying goes, the baker does not praise his own bread.

Also, you might have noticed a glaring omission - I'm refering to the one who is, by far, the most productive and hardworking modder of all time...

0rion79!

j/k ;)

It's Gaear.

To illustrate this - consider that the above list is more or less arranged chronologically, but the bulk of it consists of people active between 2005-2006.

It was around 2007, maybe 2008, that Gaear was nearly the only permanently active modder left to work on ToEE. I think it's not a stretch to say that without him, Co8 would have dissolved about three years ago.

And he kept on going, even as I and others vanished, carrying the mod forward into what you see today. He instated and maintained the NC/non-NC versions (keeping track of multiple versions is always a PITA). He made countless contributions to the Hommlet/Nulb/Temple section. And most significantly, he overhauled Verbobonc, Hickory Branch, the Shop map, the Arena of Heroes and the War of the Golden Skull mods, and tied them all up, bringing the mod from an incoherent mess to the polished gem that it is now.

So I think a hearty congratulation is in order :thumbsup:

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Happy 10th ToEE! :wave:

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

lol 0rion, bless his heart. ;)

That's pretty high praise Sitra, thank you.

I'll spare you all the phony modesty, but suffice it to say, I honestly never thought of myself as anything but another contributor here - albeit one who was determined to right the ship. I was probably most inspired by zhuge back in the early days, whose leadership and capability I think saved Co8 from its first crisis. That was simply the end of the initial rush of interest after ToEE's release, where there's a very natural and predictable die-off of members and contributions. And it was pretty much a simple desire to see the 'legacy,' if you will, of him and all the other contributors maintained that lead me to try to see this all through to what we have today - though of course I never figured it would take this long ;). I didn't like the idea of all the effort and the history of this place going to waste or falling into disarray, with our lasting contribution to the game world being a rather jumbled up mess of random mods that broke the game overall as much as they fixed it improved it individually. And here we are now ... I hope we achieved that and that the public thinks nice things when they think of Co8 - all of us.

One interesting thing to note about members and generations is that I think there was actually a generation before zhuge's, the very first, that put out versions 1 and 2 of the modpack in late 2003. (zhuge started with v3 I think.) That crew was made up of guys like Chris Woods, Nomad Wanderer, and even Sol/Exitium. You can still read about their exploits on the Negative Energy Plane board, where all the founding threads went to after the server crash or whatever catastrophe it was that happened here back near the beginning.

4. Sitra Achara

Yeah, I vaguely recall that they mainly put out some fixes, maybe the brothel restoration too?

Also, another vague recollection is that the modding forum used to be private. Do you remember when/if that was?

5. Arthandas

Arthandas Witch Hunter

The First Generation? Catastrophe? Building on their legacy? Seems like a sci-fi movie script ;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  6. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Ave Gaear!!

Ave Mighty Modders.

I wonder if any of the elder modders who have sailed to the west ever look in.

If so what do they think?

7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hehe the beginnings of my toolset and my very first meaningful post on the boards here, over 9 years ago (I lurked Co8 since its very inception but only registered and started active modding about a year later): http://co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1062

It's interesting to see that my efforts here started with a simple and rather haphazard interest in the mobile object file format and, since I was unable to break it immediately, in working around the inability to create new MOBs by scripting. :) This has later resulted in many modding utilities and research projects down the road, including the Spawner Mod (a very early pure script-based creature spawner), ToEE Mod Studio (does anyone still remember that one? it's the historical precursor to ToEEWB that was not very successful), ToEE World Builder, ToEE Editing Utilities, and, of course, ToEE Front-End and its successor, ToEE Front-End X. :) It was a big pleasure coding them all for the modders to use and seeing them put to good use!

- Agetian

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Again, the many that cannot are blessed by the few who can. :notworthy

9. maalri

maalri Immortal

Wow, a decade!

Congratulations ToEE! I am glad that at least the last 8 years or so this has been an immensely playable game, thanks mostly to the C08 modders!

It has been fun. I truly hope it doesn't end anytime soon. If that hard code could ever be cracked.... well, we could then do just about anything and I'd bet people would NEVER leave!

On a side note, I believe we also need to give credit to Livonya for the Amee timed mod. Brilliant add-on that was and I think a couple more quests should be timed. (But only a couple!)

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah I think the first crew restored the brothel, fixed NPC overlooting, made Iuon stones, did stuff like that. In those days the mod was called 'fan fixes' (lol). We still have those mods on the server; they weigh like 120 KB each. :p

And yes, the modding forum was private in the beginning (though I was not active here at the time - only read about it in old threads) until Livonya of all people womaned up and got that straightened out. ;)

~

And since we're giving credit where credit's due in this thread, let's mention or re-mention a few others ...

Agetian indeed, who took on the less glamorous job of behind-the-scenes work in cracking file formats and code and building tools for the rest of us to use. This has been huge all along, and I always wish you got more credit for it Ag, but such is the way these things go. Suffice it to say, modders and players alike appreciate it greatly, even if we don't always say so as loudly. :hug: (And yes, it's kind of cute or quaint now to think back to ToEE Mod Studio ... humble beginnings.)

Sitra similarly has done a lot of low-key work that actually has resounding effects on the game. Reactive Temple pretty much singlehandedly made the Temple something other than a hack and slash dungeon crawl. The intelligent monster/enemy model is really profoundly different than the 'put .mob here and wait for PC' method that Troika originally used. This is simply huge in its implications for the game. Oh and personally I have 'borrowed' (read stolen :p) more code of yours than I care to admit, though in all seriousness this just means your efforts have extended beyond the immediate effects of your own mods. And no one knows the torments you had to endure from this finicky game to actually get that stuff to work.

Lastly let's not forget the rank and file people here who keep this place a community. I'm not going to try to list all names, but the sirchets and GuardianAngels of the world hold a special place in the annals of ToEE/Co8 for keeping the lights on. Thanks to you all - you know who you are. :)

11. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yes, I'm very happy to see that absolutely everybody who has contributed significantly to the modpack has left a lasting imprint on it that shows till this very day! It's really heartwarming to see the 10-year collective effort because even more so than individual mods that make up the modpack, it is the people that contributed to it that bring back a lot of good memories! *I'm suddenly feeling nostalgic, to be honest... :) *

- Agetian

12. sirchet

YES! I have finally gotten my praise .... Uhmmmm how did you know that there was more than one of me?

Heh heh

Yeah, I got mentioned for all the important ... Uhmmm .... Hanging out I do and all.

13. Sitra Achara

You can think of yourself as a cheerleader ;)

14. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

Go - fight - win - Sirchet!!!!

edit: cheerleader gif removed

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  15. sirchet

I don't think I like where this going .... -_-

Our Host!