Thrown Weapon Attacker

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by WinstonShnozwick, Jun 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

With the number of throwing weapons in the game, I've imagined that a thrown weapon attacker, one who uses thrown weapons, could be a viable option. However, I need advice for the build of this character, as it would be difficult.

Class;
    -Rouge sounds like a good one, but could fighter also? Any other class that would be more suited to this style of combat? I'm thinking either rouge or fighter, or ranger.

Feats;
    -Quick Draw a must for all that weapon switching every turn
    -Some of those ranged attacking feats, I believe they apply to thrown weapons as well

Gear;
    -Stocking up on lots of whatever thrown weapons I'll be using, as you lose them each turn. Will pick up thrown weapons after or during battles though, no need to waste
    -good armor, and a large shield, thrown weapons arent two handed i believe
    -misc items for additional aid in combat (e.g. , lamia figure for summoning)

Build;
    -We're looking at a character that will probably not be in the front line of combat, but not totally in the back either. So right behind the fighter probably. Due to range of throwing and not wanting people in the way of aim.
    -Also, due to the ironic nature of how this fighting style works, throwing your weapons away in combat, you want to have other support options like various magic devices and other tools to damage opponents and distrupt battle positively for yourself.
    -Also, with your weapons being thrown, hand to hand combat will be difficult, if attempted, and so you won't see much of exchanging blows up close. Therefore, if/when enemies come to you, you want to survive. So high AC, dodging abilities, etc.
    -The thrown weapons need to be maximized for damage due to their nature of combat (throwing), and so which weapon's would be the best for damage and this style overall? Throwing daggers, cleavers, javelins? shurikans, darts, shortspears? And also, I'm thinking when possible I want my crafter to craft these throwing weapons so that they are most effective in battle. (e.g. +3, elemental damage, attributes)

Please discuss.

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

High strength helps, as the strength bonus applies to thrown weapon damage.

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Javelin is a good choice, as its damage and critical are one of the best thrown weapons, and you will find a lot of them in the early game. You can always pick up a thrown weapon after combat ends, so making a magic one to keep will work, and having someone who uses javelins can make use of those javelins of lightning you find.

4. WinstonShnozwick

What if you have weapon finesse? - Possible rogue thrower

Can you craft magic arms and armor on the javelins of lightning? And how do throwing daggers compare to them?

What class? I'm thinking rogue, but from my sucess with a ranger in my party, i might do a ranger, or even multiclass.

And then what other feats stand out that I would need to maximize the efectiveness of a thrown weapon attacker?

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Tried it once, not really worth it IMO. Annoying micromanagement aside, there just aren't enough good thrown weps to go around.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Aren't there some nice thrown items being sold by the evil traders? Flaming oil, acid, other weapons of mass destruction?

7. WinstonShnozwick

Jaer's Fireballs are a good one too I think. I also found out that if you have more than one of the same throwing weapon, when you throw one in battle, you auto equip another from your inventory.

I started as a fighter level 1 for those bonuses, I think I'll take maybe 4 more and then go rogue.

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

This is one failing, in my opinion, of TOEE, in that thrown weapons do not stack. You have to use up a lot of your characters inventory space to have a backup of ammo and use TAB a lot to keep track of where your missed shots fly off to. Personally I think it is better to use a sling.

Sure it has crap damage, but you can still add your strength bonus to damage and enhance it. If you enhance all your thrown weapons, you will have to spend a lot more xp and gold to build up your ammo supply.

Our Host!