There are 54,546 Russians in Finland

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GuardianAngel82, Apr 29, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

as far as I was aware the Saur Revolution was carried out by other Afgans...

2. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

I meant the other one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafizullah_Amin

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Oh I didn't know about that, but still that was after the soviets had been invited in...

thanks for the link SM, from reading about that guy I would assume that it wasn't about communism at that point as there was already a communist goventment in place at the time, but instead that they guy the spetsnaz killed would be difficult for Moscow to influence.

4. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Yes. When I was typing the post previous to my previous post, I did not know there was already a "communist" government there, I only knew Amin was not opposed to USSR. Now it all seems even more silly and sad to me.

5. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Attached Files:

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's not an empire, just nomadic tribes in a wilderness. And most of the people are probably Ugric.

Look what's going on in Britain. Alfred hasn't showed up yet. And Strathcyde is independent.

I love old maps.

7. Rocktoy

No it is not an empire. It is mostly uninhabited wilderness. The northern part would probably be inhabited by small nomadic tribes of the Sami, coastal areas by agrarian but equally small Finnish tribes.

If you are referring to Alfred the great, king of Wessex (AD849-899) he should already be dead since the map is dated AD912. What amazed me was the size and location of Russia and Prussia.

8. GuardianAngel82

But, Alfred threw out the Evil Pagan Danes and united Britain under his benevolent Kingship. He is the only British ruler still titled "the Great". The map is almost the same as it was 50 years earlier.

Germany claimed the Baltic States based on Prussia's location. There aren't very many historical land claims that aren't a matter of opinion. Another "legal" issue, at least until another war breaks out.

9. Rocktoy

Was that from England/(Western England)? Surely it was not from entire Britain, since Scotland joined the UK in AD 1603. But I need to check that out, I am curious now.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  10. Rocktoy

According to Carl Grimberg’s History of European Nations part seven (pages 351-356) ISBN 951-0-09735-7, Alfred the Great was able to first stop Danish raids and later to re conquer his Kingdom, Wessex. Danish king Knut the Great conquered entire England (and Norway) in turn 1016. Knut’s kingdom lasted till his death in 1042 when Alfred’s grandson's grandson Edvard rose to the English throne.

The Danish king in England had to pay tribute and to give hostages to Alfred. He also had to convert to Christianity with thirty of his best men. But Alfred never drove the Danes away.

edit. There were actually two Danish kings after Knut the Great (AD1016-1035), Harald Harefoot (AD1035-1040) and Hardeknut (AD1040-1042) before Anglo-Saxon king Edward the Confessor (AD1042-1066).

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  11. Rocktoy

The history has shown us that even the mightiest ally cannot ensure our independence, but that in the moment of need we stand alone. That is the very reason why we still choose to stay outside the NATO; no-one would ever come to our aid, so why should we send our boys to die in the wars of others?

We trust to the doctrine of Stella Polaris; invading us leads only to a costly and never-ending guerilla war. That doctrine worked fine in 1945, why should it be less effective this day? The efficiency of guerilla warfare has been thought to the soviets and yanks alike in the never-ending battlefields of Afghanistan…

12. GuardianAngel82

Several brigades of volunteers from Sweden, Great Britain, France, United States and other places came to Finland's aid during the Winter War. But Russia is the country best placed to intervene in Finland. As long as they are happy, Finland is probably safe.

13. Rocktoy

Where the heck did you come up with that information? Yes we did get some aid from INDIVIDUALS from different countries, including an ambulance team from Canada, but NO GOVERNMENT except the NAZI’s were willing to help us. The entire British Commonwealth declared war on us…

Correctly our decisive battle that secured our indecency (Tali-Ihantala) could not have been carried whether without the Swedish volunteers nor without the Luftwaffe.

And no, no French, Britton or US troops ever fought on our side at any time (1939-1945).

14. Rocktoy

Unless of course you meant that there were a lot of volunteers from different countries, without the formal sanction of such countries, in which case I stand corrected and as a victim in “lost in translation”.

15. GuardianAngel82

Not regular military units, volunteers. Enough to be formed into large military units. Battalions and brigades of people who spoke a common language. Great Britain declared war on ALL the Axis powers, but British citizens fought for Finland against the Russians before WWII. It would be interesting to see the numbers of troops and supplies sent by the future Allied countries.

Our Host!