The Sci-Fi channel strikes again...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Spike, Mar 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

...with Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King. Part 1 was decent...looking forward to part 2. It is heavily laden with elements of Norse mythology. Very Wagner-ian, but it's not exactly the same story. I was also reminded of Prince Valiant, what with all the viking invasion story elements mixed in with it. Viewers might also recognize biblical themes as well. The problem is, it's not original...and as with all such things, elements are borrowed from many, many sources. Sources we'd all recognize. It's good and bad because things are so familiar. But, it is done well. The dragon combat scenes are right up there with some of the greatest ever put on film; Fafnir finally gets it the way Turin Turambar gave it to Glaurung. I'm calling it a 7 out of 10 so far, and will reserve final judgement until Part 2 airs on 3/26

2. Lord_Spike

Viewed Part 2 this evening. A lot more elements of intrigue, deception and magic. Very light on the combat elements. It tied together well with Part 1, and had at least 2 surprises in store for the audience, both near the end. Let's just say that Brunhilde lived up to her reputation as a Queen. And a Viking. So, I'm giving tonight's episode a 9. In the spirit of how one could enjoy "Clash of the Titans" or "Conan", this show has done well. While not accurate to how the stories were first told ages ago, I found this mini-series to be very entertaining. Overall it's an 8 out of 10.

3. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Lord_Spike, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check it out. Nice to get some info on decent Sci-Fi, it's a genre that's very close to my heart, but so often ruined when brought to the screen. I was just thinking about it and realized that I don't talk Sci_Fi with any of my friends. Probably one of the reasons I find this group of people so engaging (and of course their fantastic work.)

Hmmm I supose this was another pointless and meandering post. My apologies to those who read this far and are wondering WTF? I'll leave myself a note not to post when exhausted and drunk. I shall do my best to just read for the rest of the night.

Here's hoping sleep finds me before I run out of alcohol,

Cheers everybody.

Cuchulainn.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Refreshingly coherant statements from a drunk man! ;)

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

why - It's simple; Kristanna Sommer Loken stars as Brunnhild, the Queen of Iceland.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  6. Lord_Spike

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

fyi - Kristanna Sommer Loken: additional information

- measurements: 34B-22-30; Height 5' 11"

- 2003 was ranked #3 on Maxim's Hot 100 List [behind Shania Twain and Christina Aguilera]

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

And, I still believe Xena would kick BrunnHild's tush...then kiss her butt.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

After I saw T3 i thought "wow who is THAT" and already had a good long net-perv at her.

Tasteful sites only, of course!!! :censored:

10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I finished watching it tonight. Despite the fact that I found Brunhilde and Julian Sands' character the only two sympathetic characters in it, I though the production was very good. The story has left me completely depressed, though.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@blue: It has a solid, very good ending. It has a "The love of money is the root of all evil." theme.

Anyway, for those who still don't know who Kristanna Sommer Loken is as an actress, check this out.

Attached Files:

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Kristanna Loken is a natural blonde. The best Lucy Lawless can do is dye her hair blonde. That does give Kristanna a big thumbs up.

13. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Thanks for the links Lord_Spike. Looks cool, I'm gonna try to track it down this weekend. I see what you mean about them borrowing story elements from common mythology, but then I don't suppose there are a lot of story ideas that haven't been tried. In any case looks interesting. I'm anticipating awesome special effects, and if they're combined with a well told story:)

Kirstana Loken, WOW. Not that I notice that kind of thing anymore ofcourse.;)

Cuchulainn.

Our Host!