The Nulb Crash Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firesprung, Jan 15, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Well, my first post states that I got the Nulb crash last night for the first time ever.

I did some testing, and I was only able to get the crash on a regular basis by putting the Adamantine Breastplate on a male dwarf. I got it once with a female elf, but could not reproduce it. The armor appeared to be safe with human female, human male, dwarf female, elf male, gnome male, and half-orc female. Don't think my testing is by any means 100% thorough or complete, though. I was just plopping the armor on a few test characters and jumping from map to map in Nulb. I did make sure to test maps in both night and day settings, and as far as that goes, it seemed like the CTDs occured more often at night.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Thanks erkper. Will play about over the weekend to see if I can pin it down to just that breastplate. Although I think the vast majority (if not all but this one) of the crash reports here are bad installs.

Always great when bug reports are so specific :) Not that I'll have a clue on how to fix an adamantine breastplate bug (should there be one there)! And why the bp would effect only that map is another mystery I can't even speculate on :coffee:

Just a wierd question though - how do you mean 'jumping from map to map'? Console command?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

If it is the Ad. BP, maybe it is reported as a "Nulb Crash" because Ah Fong's is afaik the only place you can get one.

By "jumping from map to map" I simply meant going in and out of buildings and using the Worldmap and zombie post to quickly get around town without all the tedious running back and forth. I've never used the console for anything in this game. Does that make me abnormal? :twitch:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  4. Zebedee

Yes :p

Isn't Ah Fong on a seperate map from Nulb though? Anyway, will play about this weekend and see. :)

5. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Yeah, where is Ah Fong? heh, i just realised i've never seen him!

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

A little something I found with the search button and a spare 30 seconds.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

three simple rules:
    no water,
    no food after midnight,
    and no bright light

8. Zebedee

Sorry, went away for most of this week. Will do the BP testing this weekend.

9. doginarocket

doginarocket Member

i crashed to desktop every time i tried to go to nulb from the world map for the first time.

I got it to work by doing the following(not suggesting all steps are required, just documenting what I did):

1. copied the save folder to my desktop (the one in C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\modules\Co8-5.0.0)
    2. uninstalled the game and the Atari folder in its entirety(including all mods, etc)
    3. Reinstalled the game, using Zebedee's method that's stickied.
    4. started the game up with a temporary party made with pre-generated characters.
    5. created 1 manual save with temporary party, then exited the game
    6. copied all files from my save folder on the desktop to C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\modules\Co8-5.0.0\save, ***with the exception of the "current" subfolder, and I didn't overwrite the slot0000 files (created for temp. party in step5).***
    7. Loaded up the game using the latest save I had with my real party, noticed i was missing my portrait packs, but tried going to Nulb anyway from world map screen, and it worked. Saved my game in a new slot. Exited game.
    8. Reloaded portrait packs, reloaded game with save that i just created in nulb. Everything now working as it should.

Hopefully some of the above helps someone. Wanted to point out that you don't have have to lose your saves when you reinstall. I'm picking up the game right where i left off...Granted I didn't have corrupt saves this time around (crediting this to fact I'm not overwriting saves (or quicksaving, which is a file overwrite as well).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

These were the most important ones.

11. doginarocket

doginarocket Member

I agree, but without knowing that the use of previous savegames is possible --as some may not know(i didn't, for example)-- that option(starting over from scratch) stands to be ignored. Some people aren't going to want to replay the initial 20 hours of the game only to risk another Nulb crash, especially if they know they installed the game following Zeb's steps correctly the first time(it's not *that* complex).

I know diddly squat about the programming side of this game, but surely there's a chance that it's during those initial 20 hours of playtime that some file gets corrupted for some people, leading to the Nulb crash. If not, why reinstall? Re-using savegames skips those initial 20 hours and avoids that possibility, in my mind anyway.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  12. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

I had the Nulb crash (a few weeks ago) and I didn't have any special breast plate.

It was my first game -ever- and I thought I installed everything properly the first time. But with the crash and not being able to advance the story because of it I decided to go the "uninstall-reinstall" route and started a new game.

That fixed me up good with Nulb.

Then I had the CTD crash about being stuck in the Gnome tunnels under Verb after resting in there long enough to gain my spells back, but this time I didn't want to "uninstall-reinstall" again so I had to do that whole adventure in one whole shot without resting.

Since then, no CTD. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself)

I am getting ready to venture down to the 3rd level of the temple for the first time...

13. Zebedee

True but I tend to work on the policy that if someone can't follow instructions for an installation then instructions on save game reuse is a pointless exercise ;)

The other thing is that if the issue is a fouled up install, then your saved games will be borked anyway. They may not result in CTDs but the chances are that something, somewhere will lead to general wierdness, more bug reports etc.

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

absolutely

15. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

Not to be disrespectful of all the hard work that has been done with the mods, but I am just curious.

If the game engine is so touchy for some...Nulb crashing, stuck in Verb, corrupted saved games, and other oddities...would it be possible to forget the game engine completely and try and use the BG2 or IWD2 engine that is more solid? I played BG, BG2 and IWD, but not IWD2. Never had much trouble with those games. I know there is a whole modding community out there for those games, especially BG2. I know there are a couple "total conversions" out there for BG2, but I haven't tried any.

I think that would be a monumental undertaking like the current KotB undertaking here. But if the end result is a more solid game, then is anyone up for the challenge of creating a new game using another engine?

Again, I hope I am not sounding disrespectful of all the hard work here. I love the work that you are all doing for the game.

Our Host!