The Nulb Crash Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firesprung, Jan 15, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Glad you're back on the case, Al. :)

Not sure if I'm following you here, Cap'm . . . you're saying Ah Fong's shop inventory caused the problems with the chests in the house you buy from Preston Wetz?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

You mean I'm not supposed to kill it..... :yikes:

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

No...unrelated.

There used to be a problem with a certain flag that was set for the Ah Fong chest in his shop that could possibly cause a CTD.
    * That flag being set may or may not cause a CTD. (No, I do not recall which flag it was that caused the issue.)
    At the time, we did not know about that particular improper use of a flag for chests. Agetian stepped in to help and he made a determination relative to chest flags. Finally and yes, the issue was corrected for the Ah Fong chest in his house.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

For what it's worth,the few times i've had the ctd I did the map and pyc delete and that fixed it. Haven't had it since then.

6. Wayan

Wayan Member

Okay i just clean reinstalled and started again, but to no joy. This is highly frustrating. Seens it not a universal problem is there any chance it could be a hardware specific problem? Maybe a dual core problem or some thing to that effect. Just out of curosity those having the Nulb crash will you post yor specs so we can see if we have anything in common.

My spec:

AMD® ATHLON® 64BIT X2 4400 2 x 1MB L2 Cache
    2GIG DDR 400 PC3200 RAM
    256MB GEFORCE 7900GT PCI Express
    SoundBlaster Audigy 4 7.1

Running windows XP home edition SP 2, all devices with the latest drivers.

7. Wayan

Wayan Member

Okay, this time I deleted everything again but kept my save game, but re-installed the game onto my second hard drive. Didn't even restat the game but used the same saves and somehow Nulb has loaded... i am at a loss as to why though.. Going to save it here then reload again and again, from my old save just to see if its not a fluke!

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I'm wondering whether the solution may lie in old files not being properly deleted in new installations. That has been the cause of CTDs in the past. Not going to recommend a registry hacking programme (*cough* crapcleaner *cough*) because you can totally screw up your computer playing about with that kind of thing.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I strongly suspect it has everything to do with not clearing the map cache after installing the CMF onto an exising installation and/or not starting a new game after adding a new CMF patch.

Some of the more regular members here may well remember an assortment of CTD's and "death by sparklies" reports when Shiningted added the door icon for Franks house to the Hommlet map, this was of course caused by editing an existing .sec file, and not clearing the map cache and starting a new game before visiting Frank. The result was massive slowdown, and glowfly/butterfly swarms as you approach the area, or instant CTD if you had been teleported into his house and tried to use the door icon to get outside again.

In any case, the zombie is still gonna bite the dust. :p

10. shoprat

shoprat Member

The only times I had a ctd in nulb I think was due to the zombie signpost, in that game I also noticed that I couldnt use the signpost in hommlett to get around though so I was kinda wondering if the others that get the ctd in nulb can use the signpost in hommlett. Theres a good chance alot of ppl dont know about that signpost so wouldnt know to report that as a bug.

11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Could well be. I've put in about 20 hours of play trying to get Nulb to crash and haven't managed it yet.

Might be time to try a totally messed up install (the joy) to see if that 'helps'.

12. Sachmo

Sachmo Knight of the Crown

I was suffering from the Nulb crash at one time.

But I think mine was related to my installation.

As I reinstalled the game as per your instructions and I have never had a Nulb crash again.

Also...I'm a fan of the Zombie sign post, I like the idea of having the undead around as slaves.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Ya know...that's a good idea for the Corsair mod. Have a re-animator working down there to sell you undead servants (or things to create them) & other evil goodies. You can only get in if you're in the good graces of Tolub and Grud.

14. kouns2112

kouns2112 Felan

Hey Everybody,

I recently suffered the Nulb Crash with a new installation of ToEE, Co8 5.04 with FE. It was infuriating. Read everything here, nothing worked. Got lots of useful facts, though;Thanks.

On reading Zebedee's install instructions, I found an error I've been making(duh!) that may or may not be common. I installed the 5.04 patch BEFORE starting the Mod. I just corrected this with a new install, and went to Nulb without a hitch. BTW, I love the zombie signpost! Civic improvement at it's best!

I feel like such a dolt! I hope this helps someone else.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Well, we do actually expect peops to read [and pay attention to] Zeb's specific instructions in what he wrote for install instructions.

Our Host!