The Nulb Crash Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firesprung, Jan 15, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Redeemed Storm

Redeemed Storm Frost Wizard

Re: Nulb crash

OK - but my question is can I use the folders containing my characters and savegames? I DO NOT want to start over. :rant:

It took me 20 hours to clear the moathouse and most of the village (I like to take my time) and it is simply not worth starting from scratch.

Hell, if I have to do that I'll just go buy Oblivion...:cartman:

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I think you can use your old characters... But can't
    use your saves if you were running a 5.0.0 game and
    installed patch 5.0.4.

3. Redeemed Storm

Bah - I started the reinstall and it hung...probably due to my stupid ZoneAlarm being on...it seems to screw everything up.

Bah - I just don't have the patience for this...I love the hell out of this game, but ...

I had used originally the exact install instructions found on these boards...game install + atari patch 2 + Co8 5.0 + patch 5.0.4....

In any case, it just doesn't seem worth the effort if my savegames are fooked. Thanks to Co8 for a good try anyhoo...I'm off to something else.:sadblinky

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Have fun with Oblivion :)

ToEE is still buggy and save game corruption occurs. Such is life. I'd try to reuse the save games in a new install and also try applying a no-cd crack to see if that helps but it's not a guaranteed fix and you still may have problems which mean restarting.

5. Redeemed Storm

No-CD crack? Is there one available on this site?

It occurs to me my install from disk failed because of the firewall - something which the instructions make clear will mess with install...so perhaps I'll give it one more shot.

But I need everything I can to make sure it is worth the effort.

Besides, I have gamer ADD - do I get Oblivion, or NWN2 or just stick with NWN1, or should I finish Dungeon Siege 1? Decisions, decisions...

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Not at Co8, you'll have to google it.

7. Redeemed Storm

Well, now I can't even install the base game from disc. When I swap CDs, it locks up after awhile with an error about "cyclic something-or other" and indicates something cab.3 is in error.

*sigh*

Well, I really loved the game. At least I cleared out the moathouse. You know - i would pay $20 to have a copy that WORKS with XP. I don't care how old the game is...I wish someone out there would realize us old guys now have $$ to pay for restoration of classic games.

Hell, I would KILL to get Mechwarrior: Titanium Triology and Terra Nova to run again. I would pay $45 just to have those @#$ things run so I can finish them.

Perhaps I need to just get a Win98 box or dual boot - but both seem very sketchy and/or complicated to do. It's too bad there isn't a solid, commercial, professional emulator for Win98 ... just as there are excellent ones for Commodore64...now there's some games I love - takes me back to college.

As for poor coding in TOEE, that's a damn shame. It so rocks.

Well - thanks for all your efforts. If you ever create a bug-free, tight-as-nails version, I will happily "donate" to your cause. Hell, decompile it and rebuild it and split the earnings with Atari.

Feel free to e-mail me at chipjamieson@yahoo.com in a few years if you get a rock-solid version. I'll keep my discs just in case...

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, KotB is being made in 98, so I guarantee it will be 98-compatible if you ever do decide to set up another HD or partition with 98. No way in heck I would get rid of 98 - as u say, too many old games...

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It would more likely be the program control feature of zonealarm if zonealarm is an issue.

Any CRC issue should be a bad or dirty CD disk. You should try cleaning the disks.
    ("How To" clean your CD disks)

Otherwise, I would suggest that you can make exceptions in your antivirus, firewall, and any other security programs for them to ignore and not scan the ToEE and ToEEFE executables and also the ToEE game path for where ToEE is installed.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  10. Redeemed Storm

OK - I guess I am being a p*ssy about this. I'll keep trying...

However, in my fit of rage I killed all my savegames! Argh. Just as well - they might have been corrupt anyway. Wish there was a way to disable Quicksave keys as well as Autosave...

I read on the Atari tech support forums that my issue seems to be one of reading the Play Disc during installation. A lot of people had luck simply copying the discs to a folder on their hard drive and running the install from there...

Problem is, when it asks for the Play disc, what the hell do I point to?

Can't work on this until Thursday...and my wife just sighs when I keep trying to get it working...she said I should have been a programmer - I have more fun f*arting around trying to get a game working than I do playing it.

I may go super old-school for my next party since I played this module using 1st edition AD&D rules...so my characters will be a Dwarf Fighter, Halfling Rouge, ? Cleric, Human Monk and Elf Wizard. Talk about basic, huh? And my Chaotic Neutral group wasnt too cool...so I'll go Lawful this time.

*IF* I get the damn thing to run...

Well, it's off tonight to play a paper-and-pen game which has captured my heart: Savage Worlds...

11. Redeemed Storm

Couple of questions...

1. What is CRC

2. Can you direct me to somewhere where I can read how to set up a partition, how to install and set up Win98, etc? Something for "dummies".

Or do you recommend using Microsoft's Virtual PC?

*EDIT* Looked up CRC - looks my my disc is bad. I left it in the drive and my kid would yank it out so he could play his games. Dammit. Now I have to check how to fix the @#$% thing.

*EDIT 2* Ahhh...looks like you can use toothpaste and a cotton swab to remove scratches...cool.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Redeemed Storm:
    "How To" do a clean from scratch install of Windows XP.

Notice this is for deleting/removal of everything on a disk and starting over with a new installation for Windows XP.
    * Windows 98 is similar [is sort of close, but is not the same].

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

You will have to google a search on the Internet for a website that has a copy of the following for a NO-CD English version 2 fix. Google for this.

Temple of Elemental Evil v2.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE

14. Helmo

Helmo Member

Possible bugs with 5.0.4 and ToEEFE 3.8

Some days a go I decided to give ToEE another try, so I reinstalled it, Patched it to 2.0, installed CoE 5.0.0, after that 5.0.4 and began to play. I was not aware that .NET Framework 2.0 was a must (i had 1.1 installed). Yesterday, when I was getting for first time, to NUlb, I got a CTD just before Nulb loading. I tried again travelling from a different place and the same thing happened. I look carefully the requeriments for TOEEFE and found out the .NET Framework 2.0, so I installed it hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn´t. Now I am stuck because I can´t get access to Nulb. Everytime I try the game will make a CTD and say something about it can´t read the memory (i will write it down more correctly when I get home).

Can somebody help?????

Thanks

15. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Re: 5.0.x Cumulative Mods & Fixes (CMF) Bug Reports and Discussion Thread

Hmmm these Nulb crashes are really disturbing...
    A little too frequent, don't you think? Someone
    should have a look at it...

Our Host!