The Nulb Crash Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firesprung, Jan 15, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re: Nulb crash

[<sigh> Never mind]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Re: Nulb crash

Not got a clue to be honest. I've tried to replicate but the only way I can get it to happen is by messing up my install - eg. not deleting the .pyc files after putting in the CMF or by adding single fixes from the CMF thread without sorting out any compatibility issues.

3. Dellik

Dellik Fallen

Nulb = crash???

ok, this is a new one for me... seems every time I try to go to Nulb, i crash. a niice simeple 'Toee has preformed a illigal opperation and needs to be shut down' message.. =/
    not to be pessimistic, but I doubt i can get very much farther, w/out nulb.... im worried that the way I got access to nulb might be the problem, took larath to find the garrison entrance, and promptly slew him once he showed it to me... Nulb wasnt even on my map, after a trp back to hommlett, next time I went to the world map there it was.. no one 'marked it on my map' or any such as normally happens... I really hope I can fix this without a restart =/

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Depending on what version of the game (5.0.4 with frontend 4.01?) and alignment determines a lot of the Lareth dialogue. You need to determine just what is you're going to do or want to do before you get there. You can go back to an earlier save before the moathouse and quit the game. Go to modules/maps and delete the wierd #ed maps. If you don't have frontend 4.01, go to data/scr and delete the pyc files. Make sure clean game cache is checked in the frontend. There are a # of ways to get Nulb on the map. Lareth'd diary, the leatherworker, the jeweller, and Terjon at the church all have dialogue for Nulb. If done correctly, it shouldn't ctd.

5. wraith_bones

wraith_bones Member

on a somewhat diffrent note,ocasionally ill b running around nulb and b spontaneouly teleported inside the brothel,i can leave and the game works fine just kinda..well wierd

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Deleting the odd map #'s might prevent that. It did for me.

7. Dellik

Dellik Fallen

Ok, well.. I found what was causing the nulb crash on my comp, so im gonna mention it incase its the same for anyone else.

I installed the 5.0.4 CMF before running 5.0.0 once. sounds pretty minor, it wasnt. I knew that was most likely the issue, on the shop map actually... the dragonhide armor, and druid hide had the same graphic, when I messed up the install, once I did it properly
    ie: install temple, install patch2, install no cd, instal 5.0.0, run toeefe,close toeefe, install 5.0.4 it had a new graphic, and everything ran smooth, not a single issue so far, and im at the temple now=) it was such a small mistake I never even noticed it

8. Steellord

Steellord Member

Help game crashing to desktop

I'm having a CTD problem while trying to travel to Nulb.

When I initiate travel on the world map the trail marker makes its way to Nulb and boom CTD with the
    "ToEE has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message. I'm using the 5.0.5 mod and am patched up to patch 2, and everything was going fine until trying to move on to Nulb.

If you need more info let me know and I'll provide anything I can to help.

TIA

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Is the checkbox option in your ToEEFE selected for ToEEFE to clear the map cache when starting the game? (If not, please select that option so that it will clear the map cache.)

[EDIT]
    Are you using the new ToEEFE.exe to launch the front end? If not, please use this new executable, instead, and remember to select the option in ToEEFE to clear the map cache.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  10. Steellord

Steellord Member

I have uninstalled and after doing a windows cleanup, defrag and chkdsk. I reinstalled ToEE using Zeb's install instructions. I have the ToEE/FE set as follows: CO8 5.0.5 mod selected, Clear cache checked, movies disabled, no fog checked, max HP for PC's, Level set to 20. I have the CO8 C&V pack installed, and set to using play file. I have saved all settings. I am going to start with new characters and see if this has fixed the crash problem.

Is there another ToEE/FE file besides the one bundled in the mod pack?. If so where would I find it. I find the file listings here to be quite confusing.

TIA

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

There are two front end files that can launch your ToEE game if you have applied the Co8 5.0.5 CMF. If you have applied the Co8 5.0.5 CMF to your ToEE game, use the new executable named ToEEFE.exe to launch the front end.

12. witchking

witchking Member

Strange CTD happening to me

I have a situation, I have downloaded the TOEE 5.05 mod. I have downloaded all appropriate patches. My problem is I am having CTD whenever I try to go to the city of Nulb!:help:

Can anyone help me figure out what to do?

13. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Re-check how you've patched the game. That seems to be the cause of the Nulb crash problem in the vast majority of cases.

14. witchking

witchking Member

How do I check the patch problem? Is it a matter of just reloading the patches? I'm hopeing to not have to start over. This will be the second time i've had to do that and the first time I lost a party of 9th level characters.

Can anyone tell me how to successfully play this game with no CTD's , no starting over, and having the game work as it is supposed to. I relize TOEE has alot of bugs, but c'mon this is getting ridiculous! I love the game and i may allow ONE more re-start, but after that if the game screws up a third time it will be the last, i have already invested way too much time in playing TOEE already, and I may have to hunt for something similar that actually works.

15. witchking

witchking Member

I finally solved the Nulb crash problem.

1.) I deleted everything TOEE off of my computer.

2) Downloaded .NET 2.0 (I thought I had it, but i did not.)

3) Re-installed the game, then check it to make sure it worked properly.

4)Installed patch #2off the Sorcerers.net website (which was acting funky for me, at first it wouldn't let me install the patch but somehow I got past it).

5) After making sure all the old Front end stuff was deleted out of the TOEE file, I then downloaded the 5.0.0 Mod again.

6) I set all my front end prefrences and started up my game again, and to my amazment was now able to enter Nulb and complete the quests there.

I believe there is something amiss in the 5.0.5 mod, as this was the mod that was originally installed (Having all kinds of probs), I did not re-install that one.

I don't know what the deal is but it seems that the 5.0.0 mod works best on my computer.
    In short , the answer was exactly as these guys have been saying, ya gotta delete everything and reload everything and it seems to fix the problem, I would be careful with 5.0.5 though seems very buggy and it sounds like if you don't follow the install instructions to the tee it will not work. Also to my my great joy, I didn't lose my saved game and still have all my characters.

I don't know if this will help anyone ,but trust me if I could figure this out you can too.

Our Host!