The new texture thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Icy edge, Apr 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Which is why I'm so often the broken record going "But the rules say...but the rules say...but the rules say..." :)

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Rules are the way to go. If people want to add magical properties to something like that, then they should be able to...through the crafting rules.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

@ Kalshane; you got my back. stops me form making crazy rule breaking items that I've read about in grimms tales... btw could you make a cold iron staff?

also I say stick with the rules - for stuff like thaqt

4. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

It's automagically masterwork, isn't that a special property? Also the druid thing can be pretty important.

5. Kalshane

By the rules? No.
    Funny it uses the exact thing you were asking about as an example.:) If you need a simple bludgeon made out of cold iron, your only choice is a mace or morning star.

From a DM's/house rule standpoint, I imagine it would be possible to create a staff-like object out of cold iron, but it would be much heavier and harder to wield, thus being an exotic weapon.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

it just cos in this story I was reading this guy wanted a staff made of iron so he got a couple made that were no good... anyway it ended up he had an iron quarterstaff - which doesn't seem to unreasonalbe considering what it is (a pole that you hit people with) so what would you call an iron quaterstaff if you couldn't call it an iron quarterstaff (btw it would be bloddy heavy and probably work like a composite bow in relation to strength I guess)

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

A cold iron staff could be made to be more like a Bo Staff [or the related Jo Staff] instead of a quarterstaff. (I won't mention things like French baton.)

Bo Staffs are longer than Jo Staffs, both are long sticks, usually made of wood or bamboo, and are sometimes made of metal or are plated with metal for added strength.

Bo Staff: about 1 inch diameter and commonly 60 inches long (generally)
    Jo Staff: about 1 inch diameter and commonly 48 inches long (generally)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  8. Lord_Spike

Staves ought to be able to be shod with metal, including cold wrought iron. If properly done, it would wield virtually the same as an unshod weapon. Weight would of course be different, but balance would be the same. The benefit would be added durability & increased functionality, as it would damage certain creature types.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well as Lord Spike said - metal caping.

10. Kalshane

Well, capping is different from making the whole thing out of iron.

I don't see a big deal with having a cold iron-shod quarterstaff. However, you'd have to pay double the cold iron cost as the quarterstaff is considered a double weapon. (Nevermind the quarterstaff was traditionally used like a polearm, rather than a Japanese bo. Hence the up to 18' size mentioned in that article.) It'd be a houserule (since the rules specifically exclude wooden weapons) but a logical one.

Hmm, actually looking at the rules, you'd have houserule a cost for it, period, considering there is no base cost for cold iron, simply double the cost of the original weapon. Since the QS listed in the PHB is free, you'd have to decide how much an iron-shod one would cost, and then double that price for the cold iron.

11. Lord_Spike

Standard equipment for any crew of young adventurers in PnP is the ubiquitous 10' pole. I suppose it was needed in case you ran into Fruella.
    :cool:

Q: Kalshane - Would it be a masterwork item?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  12. Kalshane

An iron (or cold iron) shod quarterstaff? Only if you pay the masterwork cost (+300gp for each end) to make it so. Mithral, Adamantine, Darkwood and Dragonhide all make the item automatically count as masterwork. Cold Iron and Silver do not.

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

heres a look at a group of PCs wearing the new robes I've made (robes of midnight). I've sent the files to krunch (and CtB I think) anyway I also sent an updated version which also included a helm to ted. right back to the pick the dude second to the right is wearing the helm but its real hard to see, the people on the ends are wearing the new cloaks of elvenkind as well and they go together really well.

Attached Files:

14. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Nice!! :yes:

They look damned sinister. :evil_laug

Cuchulainn.

15. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

They look really sweet Cujo. Can't wait to get hold of them :)

Our Host!