The new texture thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Icy edge, Apr 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

It's all looking good now. The leggy dude armor just had too much of an effeminate look to it, IMO. Most people here agree...we want the females looking hot AND deadly. Any dissenters or people that want something more/else may feel free to post their desire(s), too!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Females look better naked. Who needs armor? Bracers+5, Ring of protection+5 and Gloves of Dexterity+6 and away you go. Ok, a metaltower shield helps,crafted to +7. A mostly naked barbarian with Fragarach and great cleave is fun to watch. I love the console.

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Oy. It's the original Marauder and Gladiator armor all over again. Game balance, people. Game balance.

500 gp for light armor that grants +5 to AC and allows +5 to dex is absurd. A Chain Shirt is +4, 4 Dex at 100gp. A mithril chain shirt is +4 to AC with a max Dex of +6 for 1100 gp. A mithral breasplate, which is what you're suggesting this as the equivalent of, costs 4,200gp.

There's already a suite of dragonscale plate in the game, created by Cujo, I believe, with the proper stats already assigned.

Also, let me reitarate that in the PNP rules, Dragonhide armor has no special properties beyond being a masterwork armor of the equivalent type and being non-metallic so druids can wear it. That's it. Anything outside of that would be introducing a House rule into ToEE, which Co8 has avoided doing as much as possible.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yip I did make dragon plate - other versions like medium and light would be good tho.

@wizgeorge - I made those tattoos especially for you... ...well I thought you'd like them ;)

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Okay, then, these prices being assigned should be good.

Barbarian Dragonskin Armor: Light (20 lbs) - AC 5 / DexMax 5 - 4,500 GP
    Dragonscale Armor: Medium (30 lbs) - AC 6 / DexMax 4 - 12,500 GP
    Dragonplate Armor: Heavy (45 lbs) - AC 9 / DexMax 1 - 30,000 GP

Note: There is no immunity or resistance, no damage reduction, and no other abilities or magic properties for these armors [regardless of the type of dragon].

6. Kalshane

You're still House Ruling this.

The Dragonscale equivalent of Barbarian Armor would still be AC 3, Max Dex 5. Nothing inherent in dragonhide is going to increase the AC bonus or Max Dex on a suit of armor. If you make "studded leather" armor out of dragonhide, it still works exactly like masterwork studded leather. (Which is what Barbarian Armor functions as.) Many people (myself included) house rule dragonhide to have more to it than that, but the rules as written do not.

Likewise, any sort of AC6 dragonhide would have to be the equivalent of splint mail or banded mail, meaning a Max Dex of 0 or 1.

Dragonhide plate would be AC 8. There is no non-magical armor in the game that grants an AC bonus of 9.

7. Icy edge

Icy edge Jeet Kune Do

logically speaking, two exactly same shaped/sized sets of armor (barbarian for example) made of different types of materials might not have the exact same stats. for instance A is made of tiger hide and B is made of dragonhide: they may be of the exact same shape and size, but not necessarly of the same weight/toughness, and dragon hide (i think) is both tough AND light, which would certainly render it superior to tiger hide... thus explaining it's superior stats over most others... including most types of leather...
    but if everyone insists on sticking to the rules (even if they do NOT make sense at this point) it is their choice, at least in this here situation:

--follow sense and reason (because in dnd, usually, things are well in logical connection with each other, regarding monsters, stats, classes, equipment and almost every other thing...) which would hence enhance dnd gameplay.

--follow the rules, but be bound by their limitations (regardless of their nature), thus promoting a sense of 'profanity' and commitment to the origin.

again, it's the community(including the modders)'s choice, and we'll work by your commands.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hey with that dragon plate that you're making - change its colour from green to something else, as green is the colour of the one I made. Different coloured and styled dragonplate armours would be cool.

9. Icy edge

Icy edge Jeet Kune Do

agreed. i'm looking forward to changing to red dragonplate or so. btw are their any shots of the one you made somewhere around these forums? because if your dragonplate is in one of the co8 mod packs i'll probably won't be able to see it before i get rid of that damned 56 kbs dialup and get broadband to be able to work with some real download speed... which would be like in a month or so. my current download is a cursed 4.5 kbs (which makes me utterly incapable of downloading the 50 mb+ of co8 pack)... sickening isn't it?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

no there isn't and I don't have ToEE on this laptop that I've been using lately (hence a lack of moding) so I can't take any for you. anyway, I used hedracks armour as a base cos I like the spines on it, to make the scales I made the whole image green in photoshop, then covered it in different shades of green (and some yellow) dots, then I set black as the b-ground colour (I think it was background it might've been foreground, you'll see it when its right) and then I used the stained glass effect and addjusted it to look like scales. then with a little airbrushing and dodging and/or burning it was set.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Kalshane: I'm just curious, but you're saying [strictly according to the new D&D 3.5 rules - it's what the new rules state] there is no difference whatsoever of any kind with respect to AC and DexMax between tanned goat skin and tanned dragon skin worked in to an armor?

IMO - If that is the case, it is bad for it to be that way in the rules because it makes no sense, not even any game sense.

12. Kalshane

Yes. That's what I'm saying. Which is why most people houserule it. (Though technically you can't make leather with it, hide armor is the "weakest" thing you can make.) From the rules:

13. Icy edge

Icy edge Jeet Kune Do

great. in that case we'll call the dragonplate i made so far (1st post on this page) a green dragon breastplate, which what i should have called in the first place, firstly because it's based on the temple breastplate mesh, and secondly because a 'dragonplate' is usually a full plate armor(i think)... but i'll probably also make a red version of most dragon armors
    i've done as soon as i'm 100% finished with all green dragon business...

14. Icy edge

Icy edge Jeet Kune Do

so, regarding the stats and prices of the dragon armors... should we embrace the rules (which don't make much sense in this case) ... or should we discuss and assign reasonably appropriate stats, disregarding the 3.5 ruleset?

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The Co8 ethos is we embrace the rules :) Many of us modders chafe at it, but it keeps us all sane in the end. ;)

Our Host!