The new texture thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Icy edge, Apr 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

:imwithstu Those are really good looking dragons, but here's a request of my own. I asked Cujo a while back if he could make a skin for a phase spider, he since did a very silly thing... he got a job... work really cuts into modding time :doh: so if your up for a chalenge, it looks a bit like this...

Attached Files:

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Let me join ranks with Kal on this, too. There are breath weapons people are going to expect to see for each type, and they should look as close as possible to cones or bolts. This might be tough to do; Allyx was trying to work on this some time ago with a red dragon, IIRC. What you CAN do, is get 'em casting spells. Some dragons use magic, and certain kinds are more likely to than others. That's where things can get dicey for a party, and give a chance for some truly unique situations to arise.

3. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Surely Cone of Cold and Lightning Bolt can be used for the cone and line breaths respectively. It might not be handled as a breath in the game mechanics, but does it really matter as long as the rules are respected?

4. Lord_Spike

That was the general idea, but I believe that there was a targeting problem, or some such trouble. The effect appeared to be emanating from below the dragon instead of from the dragon's head/mouth. The FX need some work for different weapons, too, like poison gas as opposed to freezing cold air. A few troubles that can be minimized or solved with a little more work, especially when looking at ALL the talent here, old and new.

5. Ugignadl

Cool.

Idea to solve emanation point: Translate the dragon a little bit, cast the spell, and then translate 'im back. The screen might not update. Another option would be to mess with the template, but I'm unsure if that's possible.

A third option still is to just mess with the FX, since the actual cone should be still good....

Targeting eh; I admit to having no idea why that is a problem. Casters have hit me with cone of cold before, I'm sure of it.

6. Allyx

The cone targets just fine, it just looks a little odd, the problem is due to the fact that the spell's point of origin is the targetting circle itself, the dragon's animation appears quite some distance above the circle, moving the z axis (to alter the hight of the circle doesn't help either.

7. Ugignadl

Could you change the eye candy to appear ``higher''?

8. Allyx

No unfortnately the point of origin is tied directly to to bottom of the animation, not the targetting circle, the reason I mentioned the Z axis at all is because I had to alter the height of the targetting circle to bring the enlarged animation closer to the PC's (it looked odd having PC's hit a dragon that is 10 feet above them).

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'm getting that with some recents bats... stupid bats...

10. Icy edge

Icy edge Jeet Kune Do

@Allyx: i just tried to do a 5-minute experiment retexture to the black widow and got this : dsaf.gif
    i will try to fix it soon (as it looks like a cowhide-spider to me... and the claws at the tips of it's legs aren't supposed to be white as they are...)
    to make skinning it this way possible i had to remove an 'umberhulk reflection' effect... before i did so i obtained this ...
    gelatinousspider.gif ... a gelatinous spider :dizzy:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

those pic's look nice

I've got a theory... it could be bunnies... I mean dragons, before you save your tga select the frill around its head in a spikey shape, well select chunks, triangles if you will and then sclect inverse it so that the whole image is seclected except the spiky bitsand then save so then the end result wont be the big frill but afew neck spikes

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I seee my gelatinous dragons are only a few mods away :evil_laug

13. Lord_Spike

Obviously, a hazard to those travelling afoot in NZ...

:drunk:

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hey us hobbits have hard soles, we just leave it lying around to keep the riffraff down

15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

in relation to the pointy bits

I was playing with the alpha channels for the red dragon and had some success in turning the frill into horns (no snapies sorry). Once I get it perfect I'll share the new skins.

My theory was right :dance:

Our Host!