The greatest sporting event of the year.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cujo, Sep 9, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Classic pacific island fight - 2 yellow cards and one red if I counted correctly. :chairshot

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

probley, I was talking to a Samoan guy at work - some one said hey aren't you guys enemies, his responce was "hey even tongans are tongans enemies".

3. Zebedee

Ouch! Even we Welsh aren't quite that bad any more :)

As long as Samoa pick themselves up to cane England, I won't mind getting the battering South Africa are going to give us...

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

So, when is the next soccer/rugby world cup, championship or whatever you guys call it?

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Well the next ruby wold cup will be in 2011 (currently in the middle of RWC 07 now), they happen every 4 years. I think the next soccer world cup is in 2010 and that they happen every 4 years as well but I'm not to sure on that one

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Wales vs Japan Wales wins 72-18
    France vs Ireland France wins 25-3
    South Africa vs Tonga South Africa wins 30-25
    England vs Samoa England wins 44-22
    Argentina vs Namibia Argentina wins 63-3

Saw 3 of these games and I'm watching the England Samoa Replay right now.
    The Wales/Japan match was alright even tho Japan got a hiding. The Argentiana/Namibia was pretty one sided as you can see from the score. The best match I saw all weekend was South Africa/Tonga which went right down to the wire Tonga were I-----------------------------------------------------I this close to scoring the drawing try just on full time but the ball went to touch.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

results from this week

Australia vs Fiji Australia wins 55 - 12
    Scotland vs New Zealand New Zealand wins 40-0
    Canada vs Japan Draw 12-12
    Romania vs Portugal Romania wins 14-10
    Georgia vs Namibia Georgia wins 30-0
    Samoa vs United States Samoa wins 25-21
    England vs Tonga England wins 36-20
    New Zealand vs Romania New Zealand wins 85-8
    Australia vs Canada Australia wins 37-6
    Wales vs Fiji Fiji wins 38-34

England Tonga was an alright game, The AB's game wasn't to interesting - Romania played hard but it was still a one horse race really.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, Australia are out.

Whereas I will happily watch pretty much any Rugby League match, I have been waiting for the finals in the Rugby World Cup, because the quality just isn't there otherwise. And we saw that tonight. England won, yet again, without scoring a try. I'm not saying they weren't the better team - they were certainly dominant in the forwards - but this was no classic arm-wrestle where neither team could quite grab the ascendancy and a stunning field-goal sealed it. No, this was just a bland piece of tedium in which England had the forwards to create chances but never backed themselves, Australia had the backs to make breaks but never backed themselves, and with 30 seconds on the clock (and down by 2) George Gregan tried a stupid blind-side move and the guy who got the ball ran it over the sideline.

Brilliant.

The real kicker was that the guy-most-likely for Australia was Berrick Barnes, who set up the only try of the match with a standard Rugby League move - drift across field, dummy, hold up the pass and put the man (Sterling Mortlock) through the gap. Something you would see in any NRL game 5 times a night. And Barnes (an NRL convert lured to Rugby for a truckload of cash) is not a great Rugby League player - just a journeyman, not one of the top 20 or even top 100. Yet there he was at the pinnacle of the Rugby game, creating the chances and looking most likely.

Unfortunately, there was no similarly schooled Rugby League players around him. So the backs stood flat. Gregan kept passing it to them instead of in front of them. The forwards didn't run decoys. No-one charged onto the ball. The breaks we did make - and ther were several - were either from Barnes' efforts (inside balls, switching play and everything else a Rugby League half does) or individual brilliance. As a team, we were ordinary. So were England, but they got home on goal-kicking yet again.

:yawn:

I realise it sounds like sour grapes (hell, it probably is) but what a dull display. And thats the pinnacle of the game.

Give me Rugby League any day.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

the ABs are out as well :cry: might have to change codes ;)

10. Sachmo

Sachmo Knight of the Crown

Cujo, I was gonna suggest switching to basketball. The Breakers team looked promising this year, but then they came out and lost there first 2 games. :shy:

11. Zebedee

Wales have just gone into the second division of rugby playing nations. We were such a shambles in the first half again. Deserved to be beaten by the pacific islanders.

All I've got to look forward to now is England getting hammered by France...

12. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

...and tomorrow we go against Southafrica...:nervous:

13. Zebedee

I can't see how you won't go into the trinations or six nations after this world cup performance. You guys have been immense. Amazing front row as ever but the whole team has performed brillliantly. Kudos to the Pumas.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah I agree, the Super 14's should somehow include a few Argentine provinces: it would do wonders for their game and in a couple years they would be challenging for the Tri-Nations.

Quad-Nations sounds a bit weird though... :scratchhe

15. Zebedee

Not half as wierd as "England have made it to the final...."

:nosebleed

Our Host!