The Arena of Heroes Mod (Beta)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Morpheus, Feb 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The weapons in protos that are +1 are usually used by people you fight, as npc's are unable to craft they must use an item that is in protos, creating +1 versions of every weapon in the game, while sounding like a good idea is ultimately pointless unless you intent to make an npc use it. adding the lines in protos will only take up the limited space that is left in protos that could be used for uncraftable Items, a better idea maybe is creating masterwork armor with spell resistance (as it's broken in game) to use as a base for crafting your magical armor, and new weapons entirely.

$0.02 (add it to my bill).

2. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

thats fine with me Allyx there are enough magical weapons for me in the game already. i try to up a few with crafting but i stay away from that as much as possible and still do alright. im sure there are masterwork versions of all the weapons in the game so they can be up graded it just cost you a few XP which i dont like but ill live with.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Well, now that this thread has been completely derailed ... maybe we could get it back on topic?

I'm still looking for suggestions. What kind of battles could be staged in the Arena? I was thinking that - apart from the mod that I'm currently working on, which will be more or less integrated into the game - the Arena could also be used as a stand-alone training area for user-customized battles. That means, you choose a monster type, you tell the game whether you want to fight a single enemy or multiple opponents, and then the battle starts. Sort of a playground for D&D freaks who have finished ToEE five times already and want to try out new combat strategies.

4. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

hmmm so it will be similar to the old hillsfar game. well are you going to give them a choice on how many PCs they bring in ? i think a group of characters against a mixed bag of random monsters based on character level would be cool. be like the roman gladiator games. to bad it cant be a multiplayer arena, good vs evil lol ;)

5. Allyx

monsters for the arena.

1) I don't know if you have the white dragon I built (it's around here somewhere)? It works really well and is a tough challenge (especially when there are 3 of them) but 1 or 2 will probably be better. I'd like to beat up on them again!

2) maybe a learnean hydra (give it regeneration like a troll)

3) Iuz & St. Cuthbert (some say they can beat them, I'd like to give it a go!)

4) Demons (Vrock, Glabrezu, Hezrou, and Balor)

maybe you could just do an "endurance battle" start with the lowest CR creatures, and get progressively higher CR battles with an escape option but no rest option between battles. (I.E. you must fight one after another to the end - escape and you can rest but have to start again from the begining.)

How about using my new cleric weapons as a reward?

6. Allyx

I'd like to encounter a lot more groups of adventurers, maybe add a group of adventurers of each different group alignment and progressively higher encounter levels/challenge ratings?

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

that would be cool. cause the two best fights for me have been the tower and Livs revenge group. maybe do a mirror of the group you bring in. the same classes, or close to it, and same level as your party but oppisite alignment. it would weird and fun to fight a party just like yours to see how tough you really are lol.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

or just NE because they'll kill you just as quick, it wouldn't matter to them if you were NE as well.

9. Allyx

Chaotic Evil would work too because they'd kill you just to prove they're stronger than you are, no matter who you are. although considering that your fighting an evil temple the group your adventuring with will probably already have holy weapons that will give the players a distinct advantage.

I'd like larger and stronger enemies in the arena, it's a fairly big area, why not use the space?

Colossal animals and undead would require new lines in protos.tab (colossal spiders and snakes will require a stronger poison), a roman skeletal army - with roman shortswords and tower shields and plumed helms?

10. Morpheus

A skeletal army is exactly what I've been working on for the third challenge, it's just a pain in the neck to place scores of enemies on the map, figure out the right coordinates & rotation, etc. That, and a busy work schedule in real life, have kept me from finishing the mod so far. But don't abandon all hope, I'll get to it someday! ;)

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What is this rotation business anyway? I notice people use it in talking about chests n things too (i think). So the skeletons are facing in different directions? Once combat starts they'll all turn the right way won't they?

12. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Any chance of this getting stickied?

13. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Has there been any more progress on this mod? I cannot find anything when searching. I just wondered if it was being actively worked on or not?

14. Morpheus

There has been some progress, but none of it has been released yet... ;)

15. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Oi! Find your own project! :D

--------------------------------------

That sounds very intriguing.... care to share some more? :gotmyatte

Our Host!