The Arena of Heroes Mod (Beta)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Morpheus, Feb 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Give a character the "Silent Spell" feat and then apply it to a spell, then see if you can cast it while Silenced. It should work, since that's the whole point of the Feat.

The only spell without a verbal component I can recall is an old 2nd Edition spell called "Vocalize" that let you cast spells while silenced.

2. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Kalshane -

I was under the impression that someone was saying that there are spells that don't have verbal components... I think TOEE treats all spells the same.

I am sure the Silent Spell feat works... though I think all of the metaspell feats like Silent Spell, Quick Spell, Maximize spell, etc... are kind of hard to use effectively when your casters can only get up to level 10.

- Livonya

3. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

Using the spells text files, I found the following without the V component:

Invisibility to Animals
    Invisibility to Undead*
    Glibness

* in 3e, this should have a V

For completeness, these spells lack a Somatic component requirement:
    Knock
    Flare
    Open/Close**
    Teleport

** in 3e, should have an S

It's largely academic at this point, but I wonder whether the top three are castable under Silence, or the bottom 4 while Held or Entangled (technically, the bottom 4 shouldn't be while Held either, because Held includes speech) under TOEE.

-- d

4. Kalshane

Okay, I stand corrected. I hadn't realized there were actually spells without a verbal component.

5. dulcaoin

Hey,

I was willing to believe there weren't any, and to defer to your expertise. :) And as I indicated, one of them "shouldn't" be that way, and I don't have a 3.5 PHB to know about Glibness.

Besides, I think a point can be made that a spell caster (one without the Silent Spell feat, of course) is pretty "screwed" when stuck with a Silence condition. That small list doesn't really afford one much in the way of help.

I've learned more from your posts about 3e rules in the past few days than I had in a long time, so I'm glad for the points to be brought up. :)

-- d

6. dulcaoin

duh.

I just noticed, none of the three of those are wiz/sorc spells. So, in a way, you were right. (1 druid, 1 cleric, 1 bard spell)

I also managed to get a reference to 3.5 material, and they haven't changed much in the 3.5 rules ("Hide from Undead" SHOULD still require a verbal component). Glibness shouldn't require a V, in the 3.5 PHB

-- d

7. Kalshane

Well, when I saw your post I pulled out my 3.5 PHB to double check and saw you were right.

I find it especially odd that Glibness doesn't require a Verbal component, since Bards aren't allowed to use the Silent Spell feat, but that's a feat versus one spell and I'd imagine it's hard to lie to someone if you suddenly start incanting a spell in the middle of talking to them. :)

8. Livonya

Just wanted to let you know that I fixed all wands (4th level or lower) that were not working because they lacked radial menu choices.

All these wands now work.

In most cases you get a random effect (for instance a wand of monster sumoning will get a random monster from the proper selection possible).

In the case of Command I went with command fall

In the case of Remove Blindness/Deafness I went with deafness

In a few cases a player needs to know what effect they will get so with those I went with a solid effect... ie Command and Remove Blindness/Deafness

I also fixed it so summoned Skeleton archers will have several dozen arrows and not just 1 dozen. So they should no longer run out of arrows.

- Livonya

9. Livonya

Does anyone have any idea what spell this radial menu choice this selection might belong to?

; abilities
    {0160} {6}
    {0161} {Strength}
    {0162} {Dexterity}
    {0163} {Constitution}
    {0164} {Intelligence}
    {0165} {Wisdom}
    {0166} {Charisma}

I can't figure it out... it may be a spell that isn't actually in the game like Summon Swarm, but I'm not sure...

- Livonya

10. Kalshane

I have no idea how the ToEE code works, but my best guess would be Bestow Curse, which gives you the choice of, among other things, applying a -6 to an opponent's ability score.

Otherwise, it would have to be one of the Restoration spells. Those are the only other spells I can think of where one would have to choose an ability score of the target.

11. Livonya

It isn't Bestow Curse, but maybe Restoration... I will check that out...

- Livonya

12. Livonya

Allyx / Morpheus -

You should note that several of the wands you have created are NOT allowed.

Wands should only be allowed for 4th level or lower spells.

Potions should only be allowed for 3rd level or lower spells.

There are several wands that are simply not allowed and you should probably remove them.

- Livonya

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hey Morpheus, I'll post my white dragon here, I've been testing vs 3 of these, they're tough but not impossible to beat. Maybe you'd like to use them in the arena. I can't get them to take double fire damage on a failed save though. Also I don't suppose there is a way to make the animation apear closer to the ground? As though they were in 20 feet of water perhaps?

To try this out - edit the master of the area script, change all instances of "14579" to "14999" and save (keep a backup though as the master does not return to send you home).

WARNING: I was using 5 8th level PC's Wonnilon, Oohlgrist, and Scorpp and I couldn't beat them all without losing some PC's - they're tough!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  14. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

what a mess!

Hi guys, I'm 0rion79, but you may call me Matt if you want. I write you because I approached this site because I want to play ToEE again now that - I hope - the highest number of bugs have been fixed and MODs have been created for that fantastic & "bugish" game.
    Infact I was right and I can't wait to play the game with all the new stuff that you developed, the problem is that I can't understand what are the files that I have to download! Especeially with Allyx's stuff: he posted so many files that I don't understand what they updated versions are. :s
    I hope you may help me out with that! I see that you are all quite talented, so can't you build up a small site storing the latest news of your MODs and updaes, to completely delete any misunderstandment? Thanks....
    Matt.

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

@Matt: Most of these files will eventually be integrated into the Co8 mod pack.

By the way, if you're using Livonya's mod, I don't recommend installing the Arena of Heroes mod right now - because of all the stuff Liv has changed in the meantime, it's just not compatible anymore.

One of this days I'll try to finish my mod and make it compatible with Liv's stuff.

Our Host!