The Arena of Heroes Mod (Beta)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Morpheus, Feb 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

You could try and make some more wands craftable. I already added the "Wand of Animal Growth", and it seems to work fine.

Try to test anything you change by crafting it and using it in the game. After all, what good is a crafted item if it doesn't work? ;)

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

do you know which ones are missing?

Oh is there a way to get the knock spell to affect locked doors? It works just fine on chests, but doesn't target doors at all.

(My daughter was playing yesterday, went through the spiral staircase to level 2 and got her rouge and furnok killed, I wanted to guide her safely out but burne's chime of opening couldn't unlock the door out of the air shrine!)

3. Allyx

Wands Done!

All wands now work except animate dead (undead do not apear) and harm (doesn't even become an option in the radial menu, use item fails), and command (doesn't seem to do anything) so I made them uncraftable but left the ltems in the relevant files.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  4. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

That sounds like potentially bad news. I just checked the knock code, and it specifically tries to handle that case. Unless that's an abnormal door, this might be an internal error deeper than modders can easily affect.

Here's the relevant code in question....

target = spell.target_list[0]

That grabs the first target in the spell's target list (which is usually the ONLY thing on the list, for most spells)

if target.obj.type == obj_t_portal:

This says that if the target's type is a portal (a door), then...

target.partsys_id = game.particles( 'sp-Knock', target.obj )

create the "magical effects" of knock, centered on the door in question

if ( target.obj.portal_flags_get() & OPF_LOCKED ):
    target.obj.float_mesfile_line( 'mes\\spell.mes', 30004 )
    target.obj.portal_flag_unset( OPF_LOCKED )
    else:
    target.obj.float_mesfile_line( 'mes\\spell.mes', 30006 )

if the door has the locked "flag" set, then float some text above the door on the display (30004 is "Unlocked!" -- I had to look that up, I don't have it magically memorized :) ), and then unset that locked flag (otherwise, the door was not locked, and message 30006 is floated above the door (floated means it starts directly above the object, moves upwards and fades as it gets away from the object, and 30006 is "Portal was not locked!")

It's possible (probable?) that the door in question is not _actually_ a standard/normal door according to the game, and therefore knock can't affect it. (scripting has to do that once game actions have come true).

For completeness, the next thing the code does is check if it's a magically-held door (and clears that flag if it's true), and then checks if it's an open door and closes it if so.

-- dulcaoin

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  5. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Allyx -

Any spell that requires a Radial Menu choice will NOT work as a potion or as a wand.

That is why Command and Animate Dead do not work. There are a lot more spells that I guarantee you do not work as potions or wands.

I ran into the same problem with NPCs using spells since the NPC has no way to make a selection from the Radial Menu.

I know how to fix it so NPCs can get a default setting from the radial menu, and I think I can code something similar for the wands you made...

To make these spells work as wands you need to make new spell.py files that are unique for the wand... so rather than having the Animate Dead wand use the Spell_Animate_Dead.py file indicate that it should use the Spell_Wand_Animate_Dead.py and then copy the .py file for Animate Dead and re-name it for the Wand version... and then replace the code that looks for the radial menu choice with either a random system that will pick a random option or choose a default setting that would always take a specific Radial Menu choice....

You could in theory make multiple wands so when the PC creates a wand they would choose to make a Wand of Animate Dead (Skeleton) or a Wand of Animate Dead (Zombie).

- Livonya

6. Allyx

I think i've done as much as I can with the wands, I've no idea how to make them choose one sub option over the other or randomize them, and as far as I can tell the wand of harm SHOULD work, it just doesn't! I don't have a clue about scripting so, I'll leave it as it is, let the more knowledgable among us handle it.

7. dulcaoin

I can take this, if you're too busy Liv? Let me know, and I'll start on the "doing" rather than just the "sidelining" :)

(Actually, that's not true, I'm hard at work on my ProtoEd system, and it's coming along nicely).

-- d

8. Livonya

D -

No, I already fixed them all. I just need to implement them and add all of his wands into my protos.

I just wrote a routine that needs to go into all the spells so when the Radial Menu is null/0 then it will pick an appropriate Radial Menue default. It is pretty simple as I had alrady done this so that NPCs could use spells with Radial Menu choices...

Also, I am in the process of fixing all the potions so they work properly... actually potions are really messed up.

When you make a potion then they work properly, but potions that you find/buy are really messed up, and when NPCs use potions they are messed up comletely unless a PC made that potion... so I am fixing that...

I have some other new discoveries in the works as well... I figured a work around to make NPCs use wands and scrolls... it is funky but it works and it means that spell casters aren't completly screwed when silenced... I also believe that I figured out a very, very, very, very funky way to detect a Silenced NPC. But it will take some work to verify and implement.

- Livonya

9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

By the rules, wands and scrolls fall under the same restriction as spells in regard to Silence, so this shouldn't actually work.

10. Livonya

Kalshane -

Unfortunantly that isn't true in TOEE.

In TOEE when you are silenced you can't use spells but you can use scrolls.

Also, using scrolls is exempt from AOO though they should provoke AOO.

So right now an PC can use scrolls and wands when silenced with no problem, and they can also do so without causing AOO.

I am simply going to let NPCs do the same thing.

- Livonya

11. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Is there anyway to fix that? (the using scrolls and wands while silenced?) Because that really makes Silent Spell even less useful a feat.

While I'm being rules lawyery, I might as well also mention that potions shouldn't contain higher than 3rd level spells and wands no higher than 4th. (I realize ToEE breaks this rule itself with the potion of Heal and the wand of Chain Lighting.)

12. Livonya

Kalshane -

I am trying to fix it, but it is hard coded as far as I can tell.

I have a few things yet to try to make NPCs cause AOO when they use potions, but I don't know if they will work...

This is my hunch why some actions are correct for NPCs and incorrect for PCs.

I believe that most of the rules are inforced through Radial Menu choices. So when a PC selects drink potion the computer checks for AOO. It isn't the action of drinking the potion but the actual selection made via the Radial Menu that causes this.

The NPC however doesn't use the radial menu so they get to drink potions with no AOO.

This is the same problem with Break Free. When you select Break Free as an action in the Radial Menu the engine makes it impossible to select Attack or Cast Spell as your next action in that round. This is how the rules are enforced.

When the NPC does a Break Free they can still select Attack or Cast Spell as they don't have a Radial Menu to control their possible actions.

Most likely the problem with most items has to do with the way the Radial Menu is coded, and as far as I can tell that is all hard code and way beyond my abilites.

I am absolutely positive that someone could fix it but they would need to be able to change the hard code.

- Livonya

PS: I agree with you about potions and wand levels, but there are indeed potions in the game that break these rules.

They are rare and very valuable since you can't make more of them... I think it is okay to have a few rare items like that in the game since they become items of exceptional quality that most people will want to use only in an emergency.

Actually, personally, I never add items to TOEE because my goal is to make the game harder not easier... and the only time I really make new items is when I am making them for NPCs to use AGAINST the PC. A ton of new items will just make the game easier and as always happens some of the items people will make will be way too powerful....

13. dulcaoin

Is that true of all scrolls, or just scrolls with spells that lack a verbal component?

Just curious.

-- d

14. dulcaoin

OOPS --

Is this a new 3.5 thing? The 3e DMG lists 8th-level-spell wands and 10th-level-spell wands, and I see a 9th. :-?

Edit: OOPS -- please disregard, I was misreading. A 10-th level character needed to make the wand, but it was still a 3rd level spell.

-- d

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  15. Livonya

D -

I could be wrong, but I don't think TOEE cares about verbal components...

I think if you are silenced you can't cast any spells... I don't think TOEE cares... but again, I could be wrong...

What would be a spell that doesn't have a verbal component that could be casted when silenced?

I will test it.

- Livonya

Our Host!