The Animal Companion Problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Jan 30, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

I want to clarify something: I never said that druids suck. Their summons seem good in this game, but I can't control them and I didn't like the AI. At the same time, I never cared much about summons in other games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. After I used fighter/druid NPCs in those games and discovered how powerful the druid class can be with the right spells, it became one of my favorite classes.

The main issue was that I built a druid focused in summons only to discover the engine limitations for them. That was really frustrating.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I don't think Summoned creatures have been changed, I've summoned a few earth elementals and they sought out the nearest foe.

3. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

Oh. I was complaining about the animal companion's artificial intelligence. Thinking about it, I didn't have the opportunity to summon creatures, so I was relying only on my AC to help the battles, specially because I was in the beginning of the game and didn't have access to powerful summon spells. I guess Gaear's reasons to change the AI make more sense now. Still, I would like to point out that even when monsters were near the AC while he was guarding a PC, he often wouldn't attack even when he was ready vs approach. I guess it's because the monsters were often close to my characters when the AC decided to activate "ready vs approach".

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The likely reason for that is that the monsters didn't actually enter the AC's threat range. What the ACs are actually doing when they are guarding an ally is guarding themselves near an ally. This is as close an approximation to real guarding as we can get, as there is no specific function in ToEE's AI that tells an NPC to guard another. They target injured allies, approach them, and ready vs. approach ... on themselves. This means that if the AC chooses to stand near an ally on his left flank, and an enemy approaches the injured ally on his right flank, they AC will not do anything about it. Likewise if the enemy NPC simply doesn't enter the ACs threat range.

5. tom

tom Established Member

I have just started playing 7.8 ( I missed 7.7). It is not just the behaviour of the druids pet that has changed. The behaviour of animals summoned by druid spells has also changed. Where they would once eagerly attack the enemy they now mostly run to stand next to the druid. Then they hang around as the party gets hacked up. This has totally changed the balance of the druid class and its role in the party.

Personally I can survive the challenge of keeping a homicidal pet alive but if spell summoned animals don't fight I have to totally rethink the way that I use druids.

I do thank you for all your hard work but have to say that I preferred the game before the changes.

sorry :no:

6. Gaear

Huh, the spells must use the same routine then, or at least point to the same protos.

7. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

I wonder if you could set a toggle between the two? Either on the front end, but better the radial dial options. I would vote for the "attack" version, but I see at times it might handy to be protected by a trusty "guard chicken".

8. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

I also have had intermittent "crossover" on Druid summons.(some animals / placement of animal, enemy, party members 7.7.). just started 7.8.

9. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Question: does it seem as if the new AC routines have affected the bear that follows the giant in Emirdry Meadows? Just started 7.8 and had my druid charm the bear- which stood quietly by while my characters chopped down the hill giant. Didn't a charmed bear used to attack the giant? (as an aside, I've noticed that charmed opponents tend to disappear once you return to Hommlett- is this something new?).

10. Doggy the Goblin

Doggy the Goblin Member

1) In 7.7, I charmed the bear too with my dear Meleny. The bear will attack the giant only when it can perform a full round attack; otherwise it just uses "ready" action.

2) I think they disappear when spell effect ends - and travelling does take a long time. Will test this "Hommlett Glyph";) in 7.8 very soon.

11. Gaear

Is one of the ACs the same creature type as the giant's bear? If so, that is probably the case. We would have to implement a work-around for that.

That would make sense if the bear is using the AC AI - it will only attack if adjacent.

12. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Yes- the AC for my druid was a black bear (and the giant was caught in an Entangle spell).

13. Gaear

But the giant's bear is not a black bear ... brown bear? Are brown bears selectable ACs?

14. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

of course they are.

15. Gaear

Okay, thanks. Why "of course?"

Our Host!