The 5.0.0 beta 1 Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, May 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Re: Co8 5.0.0 beta 1 thread

It seems to me that the RNG for this event isn't very random, but then, I've been told this is the case a lot of the time in ToEE.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting is to say that with the early availability of Extraplanar Chest in 5.0.0, why would you want a chest in the Welcome Wench, anyway?

To some earlier comments: as far as white dragons and Fire Vulnerability, code or no code, the rolls screen did not reflect it when casting Scorching Ray on the mother white dragon repeatedly, nor did the amount of damage I dealt to it. (I also tried Fireball a couple of times, but both failed due to SR, so I can't say whether that was affected.) If you like, I'll run the fight again (I have a save game not too long before it) and test this more thoroughly.

And I'm happy to hear there's more to Verbobonc than I've seen so far, though I suspect there might have been something to the earlier complaints that clues to it were too thin on the ground. I'll play some more and see if my (minor) complaints still hold up. Still, it was a bit disappointing and odd-seeming that we couldn't (easily) go to the big city and sell our excess items and treasure, even though we could easily have done so at a relatively small place like Omelette.

I'll just ask for one small clue - would having my (Chaotic Good) party beat the crap out of the Hextorites and/or Scarlet Brotherhood on general principles help me, or hinder me, in seeing more of Verbobonc?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2006
  2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The chest has been requested as a place to have extra storage in Hommlet. People should still want to buy the house in Nulb. Since there will only be one, it is different (less space) than the house's two. You can always poll it if you still have doubts.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Group average level: I'm not sure I follow that entirely, but if I'm right, my GAL is lower than 5th level. I have 6 PCs, each at 4th level, and 1 NPC at 4th level.

S_level = 28

num = 7

GAL = 28 + (7/2) / 7 = 4.5

Is that right?

Liv's stuff: I was mainly referring to the revenge scenario. Did she fiddle Mona at all?

Mona: I believe the dialogue indicates that she's struggling, but not neccesarily out of business. Even if she were out of business, why wouldn't she still be in her building (unless it was reposessed)? And would Ophelia tolerate her lurching around outside the brothel day and night if she was a vagrant? I think a building of her own right from the get-go is the way to go.

Chest: Extraplanar huh? A chest is suitable for us regular folks. I would buy the house in Nulb regardless, because my party doesn't like to travel to Hommlet every time they need to rest. If this is such a big deal, I guess we can continue to hijack Brother Smyth's barrel or the well. That doesn't prevent anyone buying the house in Nulb.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Mona: It may have been that when the Snake Pit was locked out from the original game, someone thought it would be good place to keep Mona and Serena during the game. Now that the Snake Pit is open for business [not locked out] in the game, I think Mona and Serena having Mona's own pad to pop-a-squat would be better, make more sense.

Chest: Extra Planar Chest is a bit of a stretch unless the party can make it be there by their own action. Otherwise, any chest that can be locked would make more sense at the Welcome Wench Inn.
    Footnote: If a new map can be used that has a house with an Extra Planar Chest just happening to be in it [have some evil looking stuff in it that can be removed from the house], it could be considered that the party has simply confiscated the house for their own use and purpose when at some later point in the game the evil aligned owner [some evil NPC bad guy] shows up at the house and confronts the party, maybe with his band of bad guys, too.

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You've got the calculations correct Gaear. I don't know why you are getting the encounter. You're GAL should have to be at least 6.

I noticed something in the code that really shouldn't cause this, but may be doing it. I've fixed it and it will be in the next update.

I personally never have much in the way of gear I want to store until after I've bought the house, so I really don't know what the deal is about wanting a chest in the Welcome Wench. And I pretty much only go to the house in Nulb to store things.

6. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Have you played 5.0.0? They can do this, virtually at will. Very helpful with carting off the hundreds of GP worth of armour a lot of battles leave in their wake without having to listen to your characters whine about their packs being too heavy. (Yes, Cerulean, I did manage to get it working, and it's awesome. I absolutely love it.)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@jeffh: Yes, I've played C08 5.0.0 MOD Beta 4 times.

8. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Then I'm not sure I understand your previous comment, sorry. They can "make it be there by their own action". Any group with even one level of wizard or sorc and/or anyone with credible Use Magic Device can pull out Extraplanar Chest whenever and wherever they need it, and gain this ability right at pretty much the earliest point in the game where they're likely to find it useful.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

IMO - An Extraplanar Chest should be available only after they find one of the new the Extraplanar Chest scrolls and copy it to a spell book, not be available before that time. (and was based on a comment by someone else)

10. Cerulean the Blue

The Cumulative Fixes have been updated with:

- Gaear's latest dialog fixes.

- VirtualSpACEman's fixed (hopefully) Cloak of Elvenkind.

- My Friendly Parting fix, so that NPCs should not go hostile on you anymore when disbanded (unless of course, they are supposed to).

- Shingingted's Naked Drow Fix, and the change for when the Moathouse respawns (this should work now).

11. Cerulean the Blue

Hey Ted, the Witch's dialog (the one in the Gnarley Forest) is still missing lines 180 and above. Also, when you barter with her she sells the "reward" for 2 cp.

[EDIT] Turns out the "reward" was priced at something like 2 million gp, and the game couldn't handle it. I change it to 20,000 (what she charges for the "reward"), so now when you barter with her she sells it for a little more than that, but that is the appraise/merchant thing at work.

When you have enough money to buy the reward from her through dialog (not the barter screen) the dialog tries to take you to line 180, which does not exist.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I found that myself, and changed it - that hasn't gone through obviously. O well, as long as it works now. Thanks Blue :)

Forgot to post the fix for the witch's dialogue, here go :)

[EDIT by Cerulean the Blue] This is included in the Cumulative Fixes.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Ran into a confused bugbear on temple level 1 in the room with Wonnilon's prison cell. Two bugbears patrol that room. My party entered, already working for Romag, with one PC wearing a brown earth temple robe. The bugbears ignored me. I set Wonnilon free, and they continued to ignore me. I went and checked out the chest with Wonnilon's gear, and the zombie/ghast/whatever in that room attacked me, which was not unexpected. One bugbear immediately came to arms on my behalf, while the other attacked me. After I killed the zombie and the aggressive bugbear, combat continued, with the friendly bugbear still having a green 'friend' circle, not attacking me, and running up and down the length of the room on his turn. I was able to flee combat to end the battle, not wanting to hurt my new found buddy. When I came back, he was there dutifully patrolling the room and did not attack me.

Sounds like some faction trouble with a little twist of garden variety ToEE engine weirdness thrown in for good measure. :dizzy:

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Shouldn't the gaoler-torturer guy be in there? I found last time I played that room (testing Ron against the Orcs) that the bugbear didn't attack, presumably so you could have some dialogue with the gaoler.

15. Cerulean the Blue

Wrong room Ted. That is one door down.

Our Host!