The 5.0.0 beta 1 Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, May 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Re: Co8 5.0.0 beta 1 thread

Ok, I got a wierd bug here, in the moathouse I cast entangle down the corridor on the bugbears, went about killing the ones in the first room, then cancelled entangle and started on the ones that were stuck, one of the barbarian's suddenly had a +39 strength bonus and with a greataxe critically hit 3 of my characters!

I checked the protos, and all looked ok, so I'm guessing it is a bug with the elixer of breakfree spell.

2. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

.... arg... in the nodes, went through 3 of t hem and it decided to corrupt in the middle of the fire node... now I have to pick it back up from a earlier save point... :imwithstu

3. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

I fought the white dragons last night.

The kids seem to be very well-implemented, making excellent use of their breath weapons. My largely level 9 party didn't lose anybody or anything like that, but was hit hard with several characters down to a dozen or so hit points.

The mother, on the other hand, appears to need some work. My cleric's opening move was to cast Silence such that the dragon was the only thing in the area of effect, and that shut it right down. Every single round for the rest of the fight, it just tried to cast spells and got the message that it couldn't because of the Silence effect. It never did anything to actually hurt us; it got off an Obscuring Mist or something before the Silence hit, which made it take a long time to hack down, but then never once tried a melee attack or used its breath weapon (which I assume Silence doesn't shut down - and if it does, it shouldn't).

Also, its Vulnerability to Fire does not seem to be implemented.

Is there any way to return to Verbobonc after you've talked to both the groups of NPCs that can take you there (e.g. does the travel agent reappear anywhere)? Verbobonc doesn't show up on the map (nor should it, given the area shown, if I remember my Greyhawk geography right).

Also, there doesn't appear to be anywhere you can sell anything in Verbobonc, except to the barmaid. The weapon merchant's inventory is full and Ariel uses the Brother Smyth type of interface. I consider this a significant oversight.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Random headscratchers . . .

I thought that Livonya set the revenge encounter in Nulb to occur for parties that have reached level 6 or thereabouts. My fourth level party just got completely and easily wiped out by that crew (3 dead before even one of my PCs had a turn). There would appear to be absolutely no way that my fourth level group could ever win that fight, short of a sudden change of heart from the RNG that gave the revenge crew low initiative, failed saves across the board, and critical misses on every attack roll.

---

Isn't it about time Mona moved into her own digs? I've always found it strange that she and Serena hung around outside the Snakepit 24 hours a day. Couldn't we move them into one of the empty buildings in Nulb, and let Serena move out when you buy her freedom?

---

I think a useful addition to the game would be a storage chest somewhere in the Welcome Wench. You get them in your house in Nulb. It's kind of goofy to have to sneak your stuff into Brother Smyth's barrel or that well.

5. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

You have found a weakness in how game engine AI implements actions, in linear order, by round, if it has a spell assigned for that round it will still try to cast them, silenced or not. Another type of attack could be programmed in but there is no way, to switch it on the fly, based on specific condition, such as a specific spell being cast, no mater how may times you think you gave it the message. I believe that the breath weapon would also be shut down, due to the fact that it must be implemented as a spell, there may be a way to work around that one. Thanks for the feedback, it will get us all looking for a way to overcome those limitations.

I looked at the code and to my knowledge it is.

The worldmap can't currently be edited, so there will not be map access until it can. The limited trips to Verbononc, and needing to find the ways to get there. Was a choice by the modder who implemented it. Not a bug at all. Who said there are only two groups? There are at least three more ways to return to Verbononc. This is not a bug, your asking for a spoiler, this thread is primarily for bug reports. This is a beta, not the final release.

There are at least two more vendors in verbo. Sorry you haven't found them yet or maybe you missed them as an oversight.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  6. rufnredde

I looked it is set up on a timer, not any conditions of level. Easy enough to do if this is what you want. No promises on when I can get to it. I have to finish some of the stuff, I already have started first.
    If enough people want her moved consider it done.
    Is the private room upstairs okay? Trapped or not?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

My vote is "yes".

Again voting "yes"; and for "no trap".

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Thanks Ruf. Those changes would be super :)

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Most changes can be good most of the time, so *thumbs up*.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm reluctant to tamper with Liv's stuff, but as it stands I'm forced to 'hide' from the revenge crew by avoiding my own house in Nulb until I can level up. Kind of screwy. Some more feedback on this would be good.

Should we poll on Mona?

Agree with Spike on the chest - upstairs is cool, no trap.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It has always struck me as odd that when a party buys Serena her freedom and, as well, when a party retrieves the Orb and pays Mona some cash, too, that they both remain standing in front of the Snake Pit in Nulb.

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Poll on Mona...take what you have here & go with it, I say. All the people likely to vote read all this stuff anyway. Unless you just want to be sure no one misses it.

I was in the same predicament with them for several levels. A change from the safehouse would be nice, but where would you put them? If you did a random encounter on the road or something, then the party is even more screwed than avoiding the house for a while. Ditto if you put them someplace outside on the Nulb boardwalk. No one would be able to go anyplace. It makes the most sense for it to happen in the house, as this is where they are most likely to find you; and once you are ready, where you are most likely to find them. Other thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  13. rufnredde

Hey just an idea, Level10 just made a nice looking little cottage. http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3427. If he doesn't mind donating it to the cause. It would be easy enough to either find it, from a random encounter, or even put a transition door located if you just turned around when you first get to nulb and head the direction towards the swamp. (Did that make sense).

Or just add some conditions to Liv's stuff, I understand your hesitation, but if she was still here would she have added it? You said yourself you thought she had plans to add it. I could do a day/night transition so she sleeps in the house during the day, and hangs out at the snake pit, pan handling or whatever it is gypsies do at night

I have to agree with Spike, a poll doesn't really appear to be needed here for the other changes. If we decide it was a wrong move after we try it out, we can just scrap it.

This is all going to be after I finish some other stuff, anyway so there is time, to mull over it a bit. Look for the Ogre Cave prespawn here tommorrow, I'm putting the finishing touches on it now.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  14. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I've reviewed the Traders' Revenge scenario, and there are 5 conditions that must be met before you get the encounter:

1) You have to have gotten the Target of Revenge Reputation by fighting the Traders and having one or both escape (of course).

2) You have to have purchased the house in Nulb.

3) You have to have been in your house in Nulb at least 3 times after you purchased it.

4) A random d4 roll made when you enter your house must come up as 4.

5) Your parties group average level must be higher than 5th level. Group average level is defined as:

Code:
    S_level = the sum of the levels of each party member

num = the number of people in your party

group average level = (S_level + (num/2)) / num
    If any of these 5 conditions are not met, the encounter should not spawn. I couldn't find the timer ruf was talking about.

That's what the code is telling me. If it's not happening this way, I don't know why.

As for Mona, I'm fine with giving here a place to stay once her business is up and running again.

I'm against the chest in the Welcome Wench though. The only point of buying the house in Nulb is to have a place to store your gear. If you take away that, why buy the house? If you don't buy the house, there is no encounter.

15. rufnredde

My mistake on the revenge scenario, I have never had that happen and didn't even know about the traders revenge. I mistakely thought you were talking about Skoles Goons, that is just a timer. On the other stuff, like I said there is time to mull it over.

Our Host!