Temporary Jayfie bugfix.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wizgeorge, Jul 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Below is a zip of the original Jayfie dlg file. Extract to toee/data/dlg and yes to replace the broken one. It just restores the original and you can complete the quests.

Attached Files:

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

It works! I do so like to keep things tidy and that was bothering me. :Crazy_Lio:Cutlery_T

3. wizgeorge

Glad it helped. In the early stages of the game you need evey GP/XP you can get. Do not tell the traders about the spy until after you clear the moathouse or else you wont get some other quests. If you already know the game well then you're good to go.

4. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Good show! Any chance of a temporary verbobonc scroll shop (ariel?) workaround?

5. wizgeorge

Work is in progress on Verbobonc and an upgraded version will be in the next co8 release.

6. wizgeorge

Re: Temporary Jayfie bugfix.Ariel's scrolls.

There is no pc.barter script for Ariel, so no scrolls in 5.5.0. Below is the dlg file from 5.0.0 with the scroll dialouge. Extract to toee/data/dlg then yes if you want to use it. I just tested it and it worked okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
  7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry guys, but I'm going to have to put a stop to this ad-hoc bug-fixing. I appreciate the effort (and I have no objection to the Jayfie fix since everyone seems to really get hung up on it and reverting to vanilla is no big deal in that case), but the modpack isn't operating that way this time around. We need to preserve its integrity, and having random 'fix' files doing the rounds just compromises it.

Ariel will be fixed. You can live without her scrolls for the time being.

8. wizgeorge

Your answer stinks. If someone wants the scrolls in-game and wants to use it , then, if there's an option to do it, fine. It's purely optional. I didn't know modding was restricted to certain individuals. I really resent someone telling me what I can and can not post/submit. Modding is all about fixes and work-arounds, etc. At least that's what I thought.

9. Gaear

George, I'm going to give you a day to reconsider that statement. You're free to dislike me all you want, but you're not free to insult me or show disrespect toward me as a moderator:

You should be familiar with these rules better than anyone, being a long-time member. You'll note that I didn't insult you in my previous post.

Your allegations are foolish and untrue. If you're going to mod, do it in the GM forum. And do it as a team member, not unilaterally.

10. wizgeorge

No personal insult was intended. I don't think my posts are ad-hoc and effect mod integrity, whatever that is. The guy said he would like to have Ariels scrolls and I checked it out. I seldom do Verbobonc and wasn't aware it had changed. My post just showed how he could do it. I was just trying to help the guy out. People should be able to do whatever is available for their personal games. I disagree that only certain things can be allowed. It's been stated that things will be fixed in the next release, but no one knows when that will be. All new mods have come with their own bugs and there is no guarantee everything will be fixed. I've been around long enough to know that. Under the circumstances, I don't see why temporary work-arounds would be a problem. It's strictly optional for personal use and doesn't effect much of anything. Just a matter of perspective and opinon.

11. Gaear

I don't really believe that, but I'm willing to let you off the hook for at least saying so anyway.

You posts are not ad-hoc; the bugfixes you post are. Ad-hoc, as in not part of the group effort and not coordinated into a single tested whole. Which itself represents the concept of the integrity of the modpack.

No, you posted a file which he and others could download, the impact of which you were uncertain of.

That's fine, but you should then post a fixpack of your own entitled "wizgeorge's 5.5.0 beta bugfixes" or something, be sure to maintain a buglist for it, and offer support yourself. Anything else, particularly as applies to additions to the Co8 modpack, is irresponsible. If you're counting on me or other modders here to bail you out if something's not right, then I get to have a say as to whether you can post it or not, and how you should post it.

That's the way it's always been, and people have always waited patiently before.

There's no guarantee that everything will be fixed, but there is a guarantee that this bug will be fixed - already has been fixed internally, in fact. It says so in the 5.5.0 bug thread in GM.

I think you answered that one yourself.

Here's the bottom line: if you want to work on bugfixes for the modpack, submit them in a separate thread in the GM forum. There's no CMF thread for the beta like in the old days, but I'll still consider your submission the way we used to. If it's found to be error-free and necessary and meets quality standards, I'll include it in the next modpack. I can tell you in advance, however, that neither this fix nor the Jayfie fix will be applicable for the next release. Which leads me to the larger point: we're really not trying to bugfix for the 5.5 release; we're trying to bugfix and expand for the next release.

If you want to provide bugfixes for 5.5 anyway, do the same thing: post them in a separate thread in GM; maintain a thread where you chair discussion and answer questions if problems arise; provide support in the form of fixes to your own fixes if necessary. That is all.

12. wizgeorge

Okay, I started a thread in GM for my rants. Part of my problem is patience. 5.5.0 came out 8 months ago. I know modding is time consuming, i've been working on it for 2 years now and haven't made a whole lot of progress. I'm old(62) and slow anyway. Whoever decided that Ariel shouldn't sell scrolls in 5.5.0 is okay. I thought Senshock was her master and if he escaped to Verbobonc, he would set up shop there. I don't know if that happens or not. By that late in the game most players have already been to Verbobonc and the scrolls are no big help anyway. You can buy all the scrolls you need from Burne anyway.
    On a personal issue, I don't do personal attacks. If I think an idea, concept, perspective, opion stinks I might say so. It's not intended to be a personal affront. I don't know you, i've never met you and I don't owe you any money, so there can't be anything personal about it.

13. MB

MB Member

Gaear, relax you're completely blowing this out of proportion. Wizgeorge is just trying to help out. I applaud his efforts to fix known bugs even if they are just stop gap fixes until the next mod comes out. If anyone has shown disrespect I believe it to be you.

Now, if the quick fixes should be posted in another forum, then so be it. That's where they should go. Whatever happened to civil discourse?

BTW - Wizgeorge - thanks, I appreciate the Jayfie fix.

Have a Nice Day. :love:

14. Gaear

Um, MB? This situation was doing just fine without you involving yourself. I stated what needed to happen, wizgeorge complied. Everything was fine. If you want to thank George for the Jayfie fix, that's fine too. But please don't presume to lecture me on my conduct or pass unsolicited and uninformed judgements on your views of 'civil discourse,' and most importantly, don't speak to modding situations about which you are not well-informed. If you read closely and understood my case against posting these fixes here, you'd know that this was not just a matter of "fix[ing] known bugs even if they are just stop gap fixes until the next mod comes out."

This thread is closed, since I believe George is using another thread now anyway. And the Jayfie file is still available for download here. And MB, if I hear one more word anywhere else about a dead issue such as this one from you, you'll be going on vacation. Heed me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!