Temple of Elemental Evil now available on gog.com

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DarkStorm, Oct 13, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Heh, modpack downloads have suddenly spiked - we are #6 at ModDB atm.

Many gog forumers seem to be reporting that the modpack is compatible.

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well this sounds cool so that if and when my game/disks bite the dust, I can get a new copy. I also will await to see what the verdict is with the compatibility to the Co8 module.

Dumb question for the masses, if you download a digital game, can you the burn it to a disk for safe keeping or does it have protection to stop this. Never have bought a game that was just digital, so I admit this may be a stupid question.

3. RuinComplex

RuinComplex Member

Hey guys, just wanted to say I bought the game at GoG today and installed Co8 on it and it gave me a little trouble at first as far as suddenly ending the game on boot up but seems to be working great now :).....Scratch that having issues booting it up now, keeps going into an unresponsive state :(

-Ruin

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

And haha, if anything Greater Heroism is definitely a Co8 spell since it's too high level for vanilla.

5. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Generally, once you buy a specific content download from a site, anytime you log into that account, you are able to download the exact same content at any time. You can download it everytime you visit if you want. Don't really need to burn it to disk.

6. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Well, businesses can become defunct. It's generally a good idea to keep a backup copy :p

At least for games purchased on gog.com, this is possible. They don't have DRM.

Regards,
    Storm

7. Visceral

Visceral Member

Installed the GoG version and c08 mod. My only small issue was MSE detecting something as a false trojan and removing it, thus the game didn't boot. I suspect it was the TOEE.EXE. When I allowed it and reinstalled, the game ran fine, c08 installs fine and it appears to be working..

8. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

If they are using our work without our permission, it could be grounds for copyright infringement. But everything is really murky on that topic right now. Copyright laws are messed up these days due to digital.

Recently a court ruled that you are no longer allowed to buy second hand software. Some guy bought a AutoCad CD at a garage sale (the original installation was off the owners computer) and the company that makes the software sued him. It is kinda complex, but they claim (and won in court) that he cannot buy the CD (legally defined as a copy) because they dont sell 'copies'. They claim they license the software to users, so the original owner is the only person allowed to use it.

Like a said, the laws are a mess right now.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Thanks a lot for the link to these guys.

It seems they offer a lot of the games we have trouble running on our newer operating systems, yet it seems they list them as xp, vista and windows 7 compatible.

Have they re-packaged the dos version games?

Scrolling through their list of games was like taking a pleasant stroll down memory lane.

They'll be getting some of my money. ;)

10. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Not really. The files have a 2004 timestamp, so they're most likely not from Co8.

In addition, Spellslinger's DLL is a much clearer violation of copyright law :p

Regards,
    Storm

11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Thanks Necroticpus and DarkStorm for the info on this kind of set up, I think I would be like DS and want a hard copy JUST in case. Glad that gog does not have that DRM BS on their games.

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Definitely murky areas nowadays. Though this court ruled on this, some other court may rule the opposite. I personally feel that as with used books, and cards, the property is yours in full, not some stiffed neck, white collar, money sucking idjit.

13. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I think there was a potion of greater heroism in vanilla.

14. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yup, I'm so using the Python script to launch the game now. :) (I'm sick and tired of those false positives given by my anti-virus, so I'm going Python script for launching ToEE... now it's technically at least as legal as what's used in the GoG package itself :D :D )

15. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yeah, they are using DOSBox for DOS games, sometimes ScummVM for some adventures games. They're trying to ascertain compatibility as much as possible.

- Agetian

Our Host!