Technicolor Dreamcloaks

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Rudy, Mar 9, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Any hints on where I would start to edit the appearance of Cloaks of Resistance? I'm tired of them messing up my stylish party, due to the fact that I basically have to have everyone wearing one for functional reasons. I'm not looking to create new graphics, maybe just make them in different colors by copying the graphics from other colored plain cloaks.

Not asking for hand-holding, just for a place to start. Appreciated.

EDIT: In the ideal I'd have the option to create cloaks of resistance of different colors, though I don't know yet whether that's actually doable.

2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Re: Modding Cloak Appearance

Sorry for the stupid question; turns out it's pretty easy to change the color of existing items by just editing the mesh code in protos.tab. So, I can make them all black or whatever.

Now to mess with making multiple colors of cloak of resistence, which presumably will involve creating distinct items for each version...

3. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Done and done. Fun times. Cloaks of Resistance added in green, fur, violet, black, red, white and blue (the last one a hoodless variety, due to the fact that it's based on the blue cape, as opposed to the blue cloak item which doesn't exist), in addition to the already existing teal color.

It would be quite easy to add more, but this suits my purposes, so I'll leave it there unless someone actually asks me to add more (I have no idea if anyone else actually cares about this cosmetic issue =D)

Unzip to ToEE directory with 7.7.0 activated. Overwrites protos.tab, item_creation.mes, description.mes and long_description.mes. Uses item codes 6656-6690 for 35 new items (5 levels of cloak for 7 new colors).

Starting new game unnecessary.

Attached Files:

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Added to the mod!

I took the liberty of altering the names ('red cloak of resistance +1' instead of 'cloak of resistance +1 (red)') and updating the long descriptions accordingly.

In a perfect world we'd have all craftable variable color clothing items available in each color ... though I don't expect you to do that. :p

5. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Oh, neat. Do as you will of course, but the reason that I did not put the color first in the name is that in the Craft Wondrous Items menu items are sorted alphabetically, dispersing the 8 varieties of cloak all throughout. Having the color later in the name ensures that they are all listed together.

If I get bored I'll look into adding varieties for cloaks of Charisma and some other glaring ones. I'm also making some classier looking elven chain and such (I mean, who goes into battle with their upper legs completely bare?), though I'm not going to post anything else right now as I'm still actively working on it. Glasses of reading magic (goodbye hideous helm of reading magic), and so forth.

Oh, and I made proper Boots of Striding and Springing. Well, almost proper: rather than a permanent +10 move speed, they let you cast longstrider on yourself that lasts 25 hours once a day. Close enough =D.

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

WANT!! That's a brilliant idea!

7. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

is this applicable to v7.5?

8. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I'll be sharing within a few days, but I want to finish up a few other things first.

I don't know, but I doubt it. It depends on whether there were any changes made to any of those four files between version 7.5 and 7.7. If there were, which seems likely, it would not be compatible.

If you want to try editing them in yourself FIRST backup your own versions of item_creation.mes, protos.tab, description.mes, long_description.mes in a safe location, in case you screw up.

Then:

1) Download the files I made.
    2) Find the 35 lines for 6656-6690 in my protos.tab, and copy-paste them to your own protos.tab
    3) (Optional) Find the lines for the original cloaks of resistance in your description.mes and long_description.mes and add (teal) to the description. You don't need to do this for this to work, it just adds the color to the description of the original cloaks.
    4) Find the relevant lines for 6656-6690 in description.mes and long_description.mes and copy-paste them to your own versions.
    5) Open my version of item_creation.mes, and copy the bottom 35 lines, which should start with the numbers 6656-6690, and paste them to your version of item_creation.mes.
    6) In your version of item_creation.mes, find the line beginning with "{5}{" without the quotes. It's on line 580 for me, but it could be different for you. Here, in the list of all the numbers that follow, add the numbers 6656 through 6690.

9. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I'd like to solicit suggestions for what are the most glaring wondrous items, in terms of character graphics. That is, what are the ones for which it would be most worth having different color varieties (such as the cloaks of resistance), or variant appearance (such as the Helm of Reading Magic)

Cloaks of Charisma and Robes of Archmagi of various ethical leanings come to mind. Any others?

10. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Somewhat less flashy Boots of Speed would be nice (not that I'll be using them with Boots of Striding and Springing around). Something other than khaki Vests of Escape would be good too.

11. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I'm really only referring to the appearance on the character model, not the inventory icon. Vests of Escape, if I recall correctly, do not show up at all on the character model.

Also, to be clear, I will not be creating any new graphics (I have neither the skill nor the patience), simply using existing graphics from other items and applying them to new versions of wondrous items.

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Maybe an option for a green Cloak of Elvenkind, then? Or a red Cloak of Arachnidia?

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

To be clear here and to echo Rudy, what I'm looking for for use in the modpack is just a wider variety of items that have some utility, not new and exciting and unnecessary versions of mundane items. These will almost exclusively tend to be cloaks and robes - items with distinct colors. So white, blue, and green cloaks of charisma, yes. Pink speedo of Owl's Wisdom, no.

14. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Gaear, what do you think about just leaving the color out of the short description entirely? It's clear enough from the icon what color the item is, and that way the different colors are all listed together in the Create Wondrous Item list.

15. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

i already did before you've made this post, and to tell you sir i'm very happy :thumbsup: with your work. those black cloaks made my day.

Our Host!