subduing enemies

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Basil the Timid, Jul 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Then you and Basil should get together and figure this one out. Seriously :) That's how it works - you want to do something to put in your own game, you learn how to do it and make it work so it doesn't break the game and then you offer it to other people to use.

That said, there's no guarantee anything will make it into a full Co8, or if they do it will remain in forever.

Personally, I'd back this idea to go into future versions of Co8 but others may have differing views and they may outnumber me and you ;)

Rather than compiling wishlists, you two could go and start a thread in the mod forum, decide what you want to do and then figure out how to do it. It's fun. Terribly addictive fun and it's how almost every one of the modders here started out. And the advantage of having more experienced modders about is that they can chip in and help out so you don't reinvent the wheel or explain things so you can go and make your own discoveries ;)

Just a thought. :cool2:

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Cool, I didn't even think of the LE option. Impressment of enemy combattants into servitude and using them as shock troops. Balance be damned by those who would choose this.

The moathouse would be the obvious candidate, particularly for LG +1 step. An Enlightened and less violent world Greyhawk shall now be. Reformation and Assimilation of Bugbears and Gnolls.

Others, please join in the discussion.

3. Zebedee

I think you guys should go over to the mod forum to discuss this. I think you might be heading into modding land with this one - or at least I hope so ;)

Let's see if I can bounce this thread over there...

edit: Thread moved to Mod forum from General Discussion as this is discussing modding specific things into the game. - Zeb

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Sir Basil,

It's probably just my imagination, but I think Lord Zeb is trying to trick us into modding. Nah!

Was creating a mod your intention? Or just generating discussion? It seems that Livonya has done some of the starter work, but has not followed through, which is a bad sign.

I'm not so gungho about changing the whole game to this format, but some of the encounters don't really make sense. The 5th lvl random encounter party really needs to be evil, otherwise, there's no "good" reason to benefit from the encounter.

I'd REALLY love to add to the variety and difficulty of the random encounters. Especially, if there was a way to withdraw from a combat that was going poorly instead of reloading.

I've always had problems with the D&D alignment system. LE makes sense if you think of it as accumulation of power (dictator) or wealth (businessman). Chaos doesn't have to be just resistance to order and stability. It could also be failure to heed the consequences of your actions.

5. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I would enjoy seeing this mod materialize, but I might only be able to perform in a support capacity due to my technical inexpertise. I was hoping to generate discussion and join a modder who has this interest. I can do grunt work.

Honestly, I haven't even seen that random party encounter, so I don't know what you are talking about yet.

I need to first work up the courage to get Notepad++, then deal with the inevitable overwhelming of Liv's scripts (I have never seen a script before), then see if I can make heads or tails of it.

I might engage you in a philosophical discussion of the alignments at a later time.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I'm just a grunt, too. I helped Sitra Achera with the Temple part of his mod, which forced me into the Worldbuilder. This, in itself, was a lot of fun, so don't be afraid to try something like that. If you are new, and already thinking about how you would change things, you should keep playing. If something seems incomplete (a lot), or illogical, make a note and perhaps it can be addressed later. Discussing these things now would act as a spoiler.

7. Zebedee

Basil - there are a series of very excellent 'how-to guides' written by Ted. Download them and have a read through. Dialogue files are exceptionally simple to get to grips with. Scripts are trickier but still doable as what you'll be doing is just changing the values in an already working script. How do I know? I can do them so they have to be within the capabilities of everyone if they put the time in to learn. Learning to mod the protos correctly is a far trickier proposition :yes:

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There's nothing similar in KotB, but since I always intended to have monsters that fled and surrendered -rather than the current 'every last shopkeeper's lad will fight to the death' - I guess I should think about it.

A simple internal flag check could stop XP being awarded more than once. Can you read the critter's CR rating by script though? :scratchhe

Our Host!