Stuck with Spell Effects

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by FDR4PREZ, Oct 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

I just finished all the Nodes, so I am nearly finished overall - until I start a fresh game.

But I wanted to bring up a few things that I have been plagued with to see if they are normal, or is there a way to cure these if they happen in my next game. For this game I can live with them, since I am so close to the end.

First, back in level 3 of the Temple, I was battling Falrinth and my cleric cast silence at him and the melee surrounding him. My barbarian, fighter and thief we all in the area of effect. Since that time they have been silenced. The little icon is always displayed under their character photos and when I hover over it, it will say Silence, but I forget what the remaining duration sayd (it never changes). But it has been many weeks of game time and it is still there.

Second, when my sorceror got to be high enough for Chain Lightning, he is loathe to cast it for fear of causing the game to CTD. It caused a CTD on his very first casing of it and now probably causes CTD 50% of the time when cast.

Third, I summoned a Vrock to "help" battle the Guardian Balor of the Fire Node. My front-liners were in the AoE of whatever attacks the Vrock does and causes them to smoke. Even if I go back home and rest for a week, or more, the smoking effect stays there. This was utterly annoying, so I reloaded to do this battle again without summoning the Vrock. I did not have this trouble in the Air Node, with that Guardian Vrock battle.

Last, I did 4 different battles with the Guardian Balor on the Fire Node using different tactics for each battle and 3 of the 4 of the times after winning the battle my guys are still in battle mode. I can't pick up the gem. I would guess that I can't exit, but I didn't try because I wanted to get the gem. I simply rest until a random encounter comes along and hope that the end of that battle will cure the situation. I am not using Scather, and I don't have Fragarach. My only melee weapons were Frostband and two Holy weapons.

Are these common occurances?

{EDIT} I just found a thread that I can talk with Jaroo and he should be able to get rid of the Silence effect. Will this work for the Vrock smoking effect?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

IIRC probley not.

can't remember about the others

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

The first thing you mention is called spell permanency. Go visit Jaroo who will sort it out for you by killing you and then raising you for free.

4. FDR4PREZ

Yes, I found that Jaroo could do that. Is there any difference if I killed the character(s) myself (or in battle) and then had my own cleric raise dead him?

But I can live with being silenced for the last battle in this game. Shouldn't that help me against Sound Burst effects, or is only the icon stuck on the picture and not the actual spell effect on the character?

I would love to find out why Chain Lightning causes CTDs. But again, I have suffered through it this long, a few more battles without it won't really affect much.

Is there are way to change my character to remove the chain lightning into a different spell?

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Be in a safe place to rest, like the inn. Right click on the spellcasters portrait and the inventory comes up. On the upper right, left click the spells menu. Go to chain lightning and right click it and that should remove it. Pick another spell from the list and right click and that should put the new spell in. Rest for 8 hrs and you're all set.

6. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Sorry to be negative...:tired:
    but the character isn't a sorcerer? It couldn't change it...they can't "unlearn" spells, that's the disadvantage of sorcerers...

Also, about that chain lightning...how much oponnents could target? Try to hit just three or four (yep, not too useful, but...) and see if it crash the game...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorcerers can't unlearn spells by any means, fair or foul - people who cheat and give their sorcerers all the spells, then can't level them up, learn this the hard way. :evil_laug

Not accusing you of that, FDR, just making the point that iot has been an issue before and no-one has come up with a way to 'fix' it.

8. Zebedee

Think the Jaroo death doesn't cost you XP.

[EDIT - by Allyx] Jaroo doesn't charge you a 500 gp material componant either.

[edit - by Zebedee] darned moderators playing with the edit button. :poke:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  9. FDR4PREZ

I did no cheats that I am aware of and have been leveling up as normal. And I have never used the console in this game.

If there is a character editor out there, then I maybe give it a try. Or can I console him some XP to get to the next level so I can add another spell?

If my sorcerer is stuck with this spell, so be it. I will just not use it in the rest of this game and then I will have doubts for selection it in future games.

I don't normally target too many enemies. I know it did CTD while targeting a large number, but sometimes only one or two targets will CTD. And sometimes the spell actually works. It is a guessing game.

I only got the spell at some point while clearing Level 4 of the Temple and now that the Nodes are cleared, I don't think I will have much use for it while fighting Miss Z.

10. Zebedee

There may be a character editor still up on sorcerers net (our kind host Tal's main site). Might or might not help/cause further problems.

Usually the best thing with ToEE is to live with anything which is more complex than a simple console command. This game can be far too twitchy if you start hacking about with a save you want to play.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

altho the character editor can only edit PCs before you start playing with them and can only edit a few things like feats and skills.

12. Zebedee

Thanks Cujo, I've never used it myself as it seemed a lot of effort for little reward. Didn't know you couldn't use it on spells.

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

actaully you can use it for alot of reward if you use it right ;)

14. Zebedee

/bonk

Cheats never prosper... :p

15. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

Actually, Sorcerers and Bards can swap out one spell every 4 levels (I think it's every 4).

Our Host!