Stuck in combat mode after battling spiders in level one

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Schmaehgol, Oct 12, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Schmaehgol

Schmaehgol Ettin Beheader

After kiling the spiders near Wonnilon's hideout on level one of the ToEE, I can't get out of combat mode. I keep thinking maybe some more will drop from the ceiling, but none do. I suspect it may be due to the many zombies my cleric has rebuked and left behind over in the cells by where Wonnilon was originally found. There are four commanded zombies in my party which do their job buffering up front. But when I'm done with the spiders I notice that there are many more zombies in the combat initiative bar than I have. I guess those are the ones which I left just cowering back at the jail cells, and somehow they have been added to this spider combat. Has anybody seen this problem and know of any way around it? I guess I can just skip the spiders and go on, or do I need to return to the jail cells and kill those cowering zombies. Any help would be appreciated. Still playing vanilla, by the way.

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

My guess is that any combat on that level will register the cowering zombies as current combatants until you kill them, so do the merciful thing and put them out of their undead misery...:yes:

3. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

As a regular use of undead I think the most likely explanation if no enemy is present on the combat bar is that a program glitch has caused one of your zombies to revert from "commanded" to normal status and thus become hostile.

To be honest I never leave commanded undead anywhere but martial them like toddlers otherwise they tend to take circuitous routes around the ToEE that cause you to have to fight on several fronts at once.

4. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

Its your rebuked zombies just like fleeing turned undead you are still in combat with them so you need to destroy them.

5. Pygmy

My apologies if I misinterpreted your question - in which case How did you get to the 1st level of ToEE with a cleric who can only turn/cower rather than destroy/command zombies?

6. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

good question pygmy he might be multiclass so only has a few few levels of cleric and maybe no improved turning feat or even low charisma..so it could be possible if the charecter build was not solely geared towards Cleric...then again maybe it was just a bad turning chk die roll

7. Schmaehgol

Schmaehgol Ettin Beheader

Thanks for the tips guys - it's a 6th level cleric, and he can command a max of four zombies, I guess, because the rest of them in the jail cells just remained cowered. I'll go back and clean them up and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for the help!

8. Pygmy

Apart from those four how many assorted undead had you cleric tamed already? I must confess Cha is a prime requisite for my clerics - with circlet of persuasion and improved turning and eagle's splendour I aim to recruit all the Moathouse zombies at level 3. If I leave them to level 4 I can add heroism and inspire competence to the cleric's turn roll.

Our Host!