Strange Armor Class Bonus?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Oleg Ben Loleg, Jun 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Strange Armor Class Bonus?:confused:
    Hi I'm playing the latest patch and have a question about the armor class (AC). My lvl 14 Ranger has allways a 4 level higher armor class in combat than his actual armor class. So when in his character cheet his armor class is 26, in combat, where you can check the dice rolls, it says his AC is 30 for example. For my other character it gives the exact number with the dice rolls in combat that it has on my character sheet. Is this a bug or do I get some "hidden" boni that I don't know of.

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack v6 / v6 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

There are a number of bonuses which only come into play in combat. The bonus for cover is +4, which is often the case against ranged attacks. If your ranger is an archer, then most attacks against him might be ranged attacks, in which the cover bonus would often come into play. Firing at someone who is involved in melee also gives +4 AC unless the archer has precise shot. The mobility feat gives +4 AC against attacks of opportunity when you are moving.

You can also click on your armor class in the window that shows your AC against a particular attack, and it will break down all your bonuses.

3. Oleg Ben Loleg

Thanks for your quick answer. My Ranger is indeed an archer so your example fits. For the bonus that comes in only in combat, I think I remember looking up the armor class in the combat dice window but it just gave me a general explanation of the armor class.

4. florian1

Make sure to click right on the number value of the armor class, not on the AC. That's happened to me before.

5. Oleg Ben Loleg

Yeap thats exactly what happend to me. I checkd and clicked corectly now. The "mysterious" +4 bonus that I couldn't apply up to now is due to a "racial bonus". That's probably because my ranger is a dwarf I think not because he is an archer, which he is also.

6. florian1

Dwarves get +4 AC bonus against giants, ogres, and maybe ettins.

7. Oleg Ben Loleg

I think my dwarf ranger gets the bonus most of the time (for example in combat with bugbears), any time I ckecked it at least. Could be due to the favored enemy class which are by now:humanoid, undead and orc.
    But in the description it only says that the ranger gets bonus on weapon damage rolls not on AC against favored enemy. Maybe the dwarf gets a +4 AC bonus in general?
    Anyway thanks for your interest in my matter Florian.

8. florian1

Maybe you found a new bug! Dwarves should only get their racial AC bonus against giants. If they get it all the time, that's a pretty big advantage for dwarves.

9. Oleg Ben Loleg

Hi Florian, I didn't get it that our little chat was transformed into its own thread.
    Anyway I checked again and my dwarf only gets the racial bonus against giants and ettins. The other times he gaind it for different reason. But it's the first time I really looked carefully at the dice roll window and it's very interesting how all the fantasy rules show up behind the dice roll numbers. So another hidden +4 bonus that I did not understand before was due to "cover", a circumstance in which a smaller enemy is between you and the attacker. Your replay gave me a new aspect of the game. thanks.

10. florian1

Rats! I was on the verge of starting an all dwarf party : )

Our Host!