Starcraft II looms over us all....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Necroticpus, Mar 23, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

You are joking, right?

What? the Fall semester starts in a couple of weeks? I thought I have a whole August!
    Well, I have it really, because the 1st of September is the best day for Russian students and pupils :dead:.

When does the Fall semester start in United States?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

It depends on the schools' schedules. Generally in the second half of August. As you know, school starts for the faculty at least a week earlier.

3. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

No, I'm not joking. I wish I were.

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

Necro, it very well MAY run just fine on your computer. I have had different games run on computers that weren't fully specced for them. The just don't run AS SMOOTH.

With .01 ghz difference in your machine and the recommended specs, you probably will not notice any difference at all.

Just pray they do not have a "must have these specs" program that searches your machine when you install it- I have seen some games that do, and they do not allow you to play them. BUT Starcraft is made by Blizzard, and I am running WoW on one of my computers that is not specced for WoW (and it runs fine btw) and they didn't stop the install of it...

5. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

No, I do not know. In Russia it all starts on the 1st of September. I have to be at the chair's staff meeting on 30 of August.

This is exactly why I think Necro is joking.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Orange County Florida's school staff reports second week of August.

My wife is a high school math teacher.

7. GuardianAngel82

The week preceeding class is generally used to bring everything up to speed before the start of class. There are always new resources and new ways to do things. New faculty members and graduate students to orient. New rules and procedures to learn. Public Universities in the United States have to follow state and federally mandated guidelines. We were reaccredited last fall, for example.

It's not like we are experienced adults who can handle everything using our own judgement. ;)

8. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

We usually do all that in the beginning of the summer, and then we relax...

Well, I am ALWAYS relaxed, because I have the lowest position, and such problems as getting accredited, or starting a master training program... Such problems are for the high standing people to solve. :)

[EDIT] And while being relaxed, I can walk the street with funny girls, read funny books and play funny games (like ToEE, Starcraft, DDO:EU etc.) Happy me. :chick:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  9. GuardianAngel82

Oh, we are relaxed. We've been doing it for years.

But we know to start getting things together early in order to reduce the inevitible chaos of the first two weeks of school.

10. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

You may have mentioned it before, but what do you teach Sergio?

11. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

And while I'm completely off the topic of Starcraft.
    Have you read the Watch Series by Sergei Lukyanenko?

12. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Uh-uh-uh, I teach:

1. Environmental monitoring. (What parameters of environment (water, air, noise, energy fields) to measure and how to do that, if you are an engineer-ecologist or a labour protection engineer.)

2. Life safety in technosphere. (An introductory course for all students about labour protection, environment protection, dangers of environment and technical systems and ways to be protected from them.)

3. Systems of hydrosphere protection. (This is about water and waste water treatment systems, and processes, and technologies. Only very rarely lecturing instead of regular guy, and sometimes I am an advisor for a term project on this subject for some studentess.)

4. I am looking forward to being an advisor for some students on "System Analysis and Modelling of Dangerous Processes" term project, but only time will tell if I will be able to do that.

So you see, I have a great opportunity to terrorize students of BMSTU, Moscow. :evilgrin:

And I have not read the books, despite they are popular in Russia.

13. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

As an experienced Sys Admin I can say with reasonable certainty that:

That difference in clock speed is negligible - really.

If you're in need of a tweek or two:

Buy more RAM.

If you're running XP & have ~2 GB or so, try running your machine w/o the swap file ( yes it work just fine as long as you've got plenty of memory - been running mine that way for some time now @ 3.5 GB ram ).

Vista & Win 7 I don't think I'd try it w/o ~3 GB.

I you can't swing that put a second disk in an move the swap file over to it ( buy a small 7200 rpm drive with as large a cache as you can find - CDW carries a nice selection ). That will make a difference.

Go for the Enterprise Grade drives - the SATA one are only a few dollars more than the consumer models & tend to have a much larger MTBF.

You can also try excluding the toee.exe process from your real time anti-virus app.

And take a look at "Perfect Disk" or "Disk Keeper" - much better than the built in defrag and they'll both do "boot time" defrag's to catch the files that the OS keeps open file locks on.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  14. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

They lied to me! The specs on the box are more than what they are on Gamestop. The box says minimum 2.6 Ghz CPU. Man, what a crock of !@#$!

Anyways, I just installed it. It took between 30-45 minutes. The freaking game is 12GB! 12GB!! Can you say "graphics"? I have a hard time believing that the coding took up 12GB by itself.

The game plays fine so far on my little 2.19er, no slowing except for moving around the GUI outside of the actual gameplay screen, stuff like choosing missions and races and saving and whatnot. It is extremely visual though, no surprise. I haven't played far enough into it yet to see the machine's reaction when I have 100 hydralisks beating on the other team and they've got a hundred units of whatever. I bet I might see some slowdown then! I'll have a better report when I've beaten all of the single player missions.

15. GuardianAngel82

Nec, did you look for a job today? :gotmyatte

Our Host!