Stacking issues

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Jul 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

No. And no. And no.
    And no. Refer to my previous comments - while we can script a disarm (or sunder) we have no way to add that option to the radial menu to select during combat, without the mother of all .dll hacks. Let's hope someone comes along to do it one day.

Timed things in combat? I doubt it Zeb: I think all that goes out the window at times like combat, where you do things according to move actions etc, not timed. Same with dialogue - when you initiate that, the timer stops and no timed things happen, even if you sit there for an hour. A clear indication is the fact heartbeats stop working during combat.

Good news though - I have thought of a workaround. In KotB, at least (where the ai is better don'tcha know) on the round when the critter picks their weapon up, if they do indeed fire that script we can then set their ai pointer to only make an appropriate move action - approach or just 5' step or something. Next round it will automatically pick the best ai option and they are back in the game.

I tried running this script last night but I can't seem to get a handle on whether the monster are stunned! Should be straightforward - I am doubtless doing something stupid.

Basil - checking for stunned things is necessary for the 'sneak attack spells' thing, so this advances that too :)

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Sounds good Ted. Thanks, as ever, for info :) I know there are two different commands for time, and was just wondering whether one of them had a use in combat, obviously not :sadblinky

3. Shiningted

Well I haven't tested, Zeb, but I seriously highly doubt it.

At least I know now why my 'stunning' test didn't work - Sound Burst does not actually 'stun' the creature, it sets it to condition 'Sound Burst' while floating a mesfileline that says 'stunned'. :yawn: Stupid game.

4. Shiningted

Ok, running the 'drop weapon' script off the Sound Burst spell rather than the combat script and it works fine :) I had to set the distance in the 'pick it back up' script from 5 to 10 to make it work which is surprising, but I can live with it.

Here are some screenies of it in action. In the first one, the gnoll leader and his side kick have been stunned and dropped their weapons: in the second, the leader has snatched his battle-axe back up killed my rogue and gone on to the next target. They didn't drop their shields despite that being in the script so some fine tuning needed. Obviously I haven't implemented the 'don't hit things this round' bit cause thats in KotB and I am testing in ToEE.

Can someone post all the spells that stun? Also, sorry if this sounds stupid, but is 'stunning fist' meant to make you drop stuff? Miko hit Roy with it a few times and I don't remember him dropping his sword.

Attached Files:

5. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

You think shields should be dropped too? Certainly not bucklers, and aren't shields strapped on? The SRD simply says:
    Stunned: A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a –2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

So, perhaps you don't need to worry about the shield issue.

P.S. My condolences about your Rogue

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Hmm... Stunned opponents dropping weapons might have some interesting unintended consequences, such as us getting to play with the famous Bugbear 10' reach two-handed swords. :ninja:

7. Shiningted

Meh. Either way is good - but the technical definition of a buckler (as opposed to a small shield) is a small shield strapped to your forearm. As opposed to just held. QED...
    O, there'll be LOTS of unintended consequences, I guarantee you that. Some intended ones too :wave:

8. Shiningted

Okey dokey, 24 hours on and no-one has suggested anything else that stuns. Sorry to be pernickety but if folks aren't going to help out or show any enthusiasm I will go back to fiddling with KotB.

On a happier note, I got 'drop shields' worked out too - turns out big shields and small shields have a different slot.

9. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

From memory, there are many stun effects, mostly from sonic spells...none of them in the game.
    Except for sonic burst, upon a failed save, opponent is stunned for 1 round. One of my favourite spells.
    Still, enemies dropping stuff would make the almost useless stunning fist more interesting. A monk/rogue, or a rogue attacking after a monk would make for a deadly combo. A ranger could also send their companion to fetch the dropped weapon ;)

10. Shiningted

Getting this to work for Stunning Fist will be that much harder, since it doesn't have its own script. I'll see what I can do.
    You don't find value in taking certain enemies out of action for a round? From 'Fascinate' to 'Daze', I think that is very valuable. You take the heavier hitter out of action for a round or two, wallop everyone else then surround him. 'Daze' has saved my spell-casters from the 'guaranteed critical' of the moathouse bandit leader on many occasions.

So its just Colour Spray and Sonic Burst then? Well, I can probably implement it for the 'Detect' spells at high level like Liv wanted, but thats a backlash effect ;)

11. Basil the Timid

Sorry, dude, I don't know how I missed that request. Send me a PM because you know that this is right up my alley....

....OK, No other stunning spells from ToEE Manual or Darmagon's list. What is your interpretation of these?:

Paralyzed: A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act. A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions.
    *If one has a strength of 0, they certainly can't carry anything.

Unconscious? They would be prone and laying next to their stuff, so I don't think it really applies here, or does it?

12. Shiningted

I doubt paralysed folks drop stuff - their hands would be frozen on the handles etc - and unconsciously prone folks already provoke an AoO and spend part of their turn getting up (if revived), so I think making them spend more time pcking things up is over kill.

Still, I'll see if I can get 'stunning fist' working in this regard :)

13. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Oh, i think is really useful...if it worked in ToEE at all.
    I rarely use monks, i like the class, but ToEE's mersenne i never seen a succesful stunning fist effect.
    I would love to see more "non-killing" effects, like the hardly doable net, or the quite useful and -i think- doable sap. Why we don't have them, if may ask? ;)
    Lots of rpging oportunities there :)

And yes, Daze is a must-have, and almost my first choice in low level spells. I thinkthere's a greater version of it.
    Looking at the Spell Compendium, there's an awesome lot of easy doable spells :)
    Oddly, Sound Burst isn't there :blink:

14. Basil the Timid

That's what I meant and that is why I mentioned Ability Focus. I certainly do recognize the importance of stunning, dazing, tripping, slowing. Calm Emotions, seems to be an overlooked spell. I did not realize its potential until I read the SRD:

....This spell automatically suppresses (but does not dispel) any morale bonuses granted by spells such as bless, good hope, and rage, as well as negating a bard’s ability to inspire courage or a barbarian’s rage ability. It also suppresses any fear effects and removes the confused condition from all targets. While the spell lasts, a suppressed spell or effect has no effect. When the calm emotions spell ends, the original spell or effect takes hold of the creature again, provided that its duration has not expired in the meantime.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  15. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Actually, looking at the script file for Dimension Door, the command game.timeevent_add is supposed to do what Zeb says.

Our Host!