Spolier Questions: Livonya's Mod

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Lightning Traps

Howdy all, I've been a board lurker for only a short time. Before I get to my post, let me just say thanks to everyone who is doing such great work to make ToEE the game it should have and could have been!

I downloaded Livonya's mod last week and so far have been having a great time with it (the only true anomaly I've encountered is with magic missile... the -511 thing that I've seen others reference. My workaround has been to simply not use the spell. Not the end of the world).

Now to my post (this may include a SPOILER or two... so proceed with caution).

Anyhow, I'm a bit stumped on how to handle the lightning traps on temple level four. If I click on them with my level 9 rogue I get the option to disarm or talk to the chests. I fail continuously (my disable device and open lock skills are maxed... and I have 18INT and 20DEX with masterwork theives tools) if I attempt work the mechanism, and nothing happens if I talk to the chest.

If I run past the electrical effect with my party, my rogue takes damage and the game kind of locks up (a blue pointer appears around my rogue and if I try to select another character the game stops responding).

I can get my monk past the lightning trap without taking any damage (she's level 9 with 24 dex, so she almost always saves). Once she's on the other side of the trap I can lure an ettin into battle. Once battle begins, the trap effect goes away, and I can run the rest of my party into toward Hedrak.

This feels more like I'm working around what was intended rather than experiencing it as intended. The problem is, I'm just stumped about what I'm supposed to be doing. Being that this is a beta release, I thought I'd check in for a little direction before I spend hours scouring every nook and cranny of the temple only to find out that the problem is related to a bug (I'd say that I've cleared around 90% of the temple thus far, so maybe there's a trigger I missed somewhere in that other 10%).

Any advice on what I should be doing next? (e.g. reinstalling the game, scouring the temple... working to try to boost disable device just a little more?)

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

If you have this problem then your installation is bad, or something is missing. I believe this has to do with the temple.dll fix and you should do some research on that... as you either have a file missing or some old file... not sure, but that is a sign of bad stuff going on.

As for the trap. I will look at it, but that never happens in my game, and your're the only person to report a problem.

I have to wonder if your problem with the game locking up isn't due to whatever is causing the -511 thing... as that is a bad sign.

I will look at my trap again to see if I can find errors. I will push it to the limits and see if I can't cause it to break or crash.

- Livonya

PS: There are numerous ways to deal with that trap. Some involving dialog, some involving rogue skills, some involving magic. I can think of at least 10+ ways to deal with it effectively, though there are 2 solutions that are the most ideal.

3. Marceror

Thanks for the quick reply!

I should mention also that my rogue is my party diplomat... so he's maxed in ALL interaction based skills.

I'll play around a little more and see if I can find some other way to deal with the issue.

If I can't figure anything out, I'll check my installation.

4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Marceror -

I have some questions for you.

1) What is your rogue's Disable Device score including buffs, modifiers and what not?

2) What level is he?

3) Is he the only character that gets locked up when he gets zapped?

4) What items is he wearing?

- Livonya

5. Marceror

1) What is your rogue's Disable Device score including buffs, modifiers and
    what not?

Disable Device: 18

2) What level is he?

Level 9

3) Is he the only character that gets locked up when he gets zapped?

He was the only one I noticed. I ran my monk and wizard through w/o any problems. I also ran my entire party through (monk, barb/druid, cleric, wizard, rogue and elmo) and only my rogue got locked.

4) What items is he wearing?

He's using RoP +2, Blue Elven Chain, a +3 frost short sword (crafted), masterwork thieves tools, amulet of health +6, ring of fire resistance, plate boots, cloak of resistance +3 and...... da da da... Scather!

I removed from inventory and had no problems.

Oh, and by the way... after throwing a few random spells at the electricity trap, I got it to go away :).

Thanks again!

6. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Sorry Liv, but I posted more than once that I have the same problem with the lightning trap, both in my nature party, where my L2 rog/ L12 bard had all class skills (both the diplomatic ones and the ones for traps and unlocking chests) at the top, and in my solitary game with my level 20 PC.
    I tried with a dispell magic, to disable the trap and to talk to the light but always never happens. I'm just lucky that I have had a level 20 character with evasion and amazing reflexes saving throw so that I could always pass in the light untouched, but it is a pain in the butt when I have to move the whole party from one temple area to another and I don't have that other weird 511 thing.
    Matt

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I know alignment is a factor on how and when certain events take and how they go down. I wonder how closely the individual alignments are monitored. A paladin falls for a number of reason, but it seems that others can do whatever they want without any harm or repercussions. There are people who know how to manipulate the game, and I think it corrupts the design and intent of the game. I suppose there's not much you can do about it, if that's the way they want to play it. I will say one thing, the game has a lot of flexiablity and variations built in to it. The modding people are having a good time.

8. magao

magao Member

This is most likely the problem. Scather and Fragarach have always been bugged in that if you get free attacks of opportunity with them (alignment NG, CG or CN) then there are certain cases where an attack of opportunity will be provoked but will be unable to be taken.

A classic example is in the fire temple, fighting the flamebrothers/salamanders. If you hit one them, you may take some damage. This will provoke an AoO, but the AoO will never be completed and you're stuck on zero action time left - so you're stuck in combat, unable to do anything except force-quit the game (can't even use Esc to bring up the game menu).

I have no idea if this is fixable, but I would guess that the fix would involve classifying any such damage as not being an "attack" on the character.

9. wizgeorge

How did you get Scather in the game at that point? I've done a daring rescue of the countess and prince and got away with it, But, I'm just curious how you managed it. Last I heard, that bug was not fixable. Just use an alternate/backup weapon in the fire temple. Same thing can happen in the fire node when you hit a fire elemental or salamander. The Frostbrand sword works good on fire creatures. Save it when you loot the chest in the firetemple. It will come in handy if you do the fire node.

10. Marceror

How did I get scather by the time I reached the fourth temple level? Okay, I'll tell you. I first entered the temple by way of the hidden ladder in the small base just to the north of the temple. That ladder ultimately led me to temple level three. From there I worked my way to Prince Thrommel.

After rescuing him I went back to Hommlet for some much deserved R&R (30 days of it to be exact). After resting, I proceeded to wander aimlessly around the world, frolicking merrily. Until finally it happened, some watery tart lobbed a sword at me by way of a farcical, aquatic ceremony!

That's how I have Scather at this point in the game.

Marceror

11. magao

magao Member

Pretty much the same. Of course, before we left the temple Thrommel had run off by himself and got himself killed. Silly guy (yes, my party is CN). So before I ressurected him I just happened to grab a couple of things off his body.

So my party has both Fragarach and Scather.

Similarly, we noticed that the elven lady giving us a reward for freeing the countess was wearing some blue elven chain that she didn't intend to give us. So we charged in and took it (plus the other stuff). Mind you, we were running through water, so it took a while to find her body to loot. I was disgusted by her guards though - they just stood there and let her die. And afterwards they just stood there while I cut them down.

12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I don't know if this really counts a spoiler, but I'm putting it here anyway. I just fought the lamia and was surprised to see her body glow blue after the fight. I go to loot her and what do I find?

The Sword of Omens.

I laughed my ass off for a good 5 minutes.

Found the lightning trap thingy. Have no idea what to do with it as talking and attempting to disarm it do nothing.

Also, I can't get the elf reward party to show up. I've gotten Thrommel's reward party, and I rescued him well after I rescued the elves. Very wierd.

13. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

The Lamia should just give a +3 longsoword: what is sword of omens?
    Third player that has the same problem with the trap...
    What does the elf reward does? Ive heared that
    SPOILER
    it is a sort of useless unicorn ring that does nothing!

14. wizgeorge

Is there anyway PrinceThommel can stay with the party? Say, inform him that the temple is re-building and is getting more powerful everyday. I use him to take care of the will-o-wisps, Sigmail and the wizard anyway on the way out. Would this be an out-of-balance thing? Maybe set a time limit to it, like a game week or something. Any ideas?

15. Profitjesus

Profitjesus Member

Pascifist Gnolls in Earth Temple

Hello again.

I have a tiny pascifist Gnoll problem.
    Just got down the stairs to the Earth Temple (from the main church, where the chest with the Earth-follower-robes is). I was wearing the Earth-follower-robes, as I encountered some Gnolls just SW of the stairs. They were in a room with some Barrels behind them. The gnolls did not react to my prescence, wich delighted me, as the robes, I was wearing , were having an effect....or so I thought. As I Attacked the first Gnoll, the others did not react, so I could actually take the Gnolls out one at a time with the fight ending after every Gnoll kill.
    The Ogre on the other side of the corridor attacked me instantly, as did the other monsters I encountered on the level.

Keep up the good work!
    /Profitjesus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!