Spolier Questions: Livonya's Mod

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I found the problem. This isn't something that I changed, however.

It appears that the error was introduced in either Atari patch 2 or in the Co8 mod. I am not sure. The mistake is all of my versions. The only place it is not located is in my original TOEE files.

In any event I fixed it.

Put this in your Temple of Elemental Evil/data/scr folder.

- Livonya

Attached Files:

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Sorry Livonya - it seems that all the bugs are coming out of their hiding places... Many, many thanks for your work in squashing them.

3. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i wonder if that was the same thing that happened to lareth's diary. i know when i first got the game his diary would lead you to nulb from what was in it

4. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Meleny, other PNG & merchants

Hi Liv,

I want to say my opinion about meleny and other PNGs: she is weak but she is the only druid available to all not-neutral parties, so she must be a bit better than that. From the other side, I think that her charisma is nice for role playing and should be important for her skill checks with animals, if ToEE was a real D&D adventure. Why a PG should fall in love of her without such an high stat? Yes, I know there is THAT other one in the temple, but she will only join a neutral party with another druid and that sucks! 2 druids are nice together because they may summon many animals and empower them with agument summoning feat and animal growth spell (or whatever), but I think it is even funnier to play with a party with as many different PG & PNG as possible.
    With 17 in CHA she could be a good bard, but there is Zaxis too... or a nice sorcerer, and there is noone good or neutral in the game.

Instead about Ranos & Germg... Grema... and the other mercant, it is more possible to kill both while attacking with a full party, but alone was forced to let one go, because I hadn't enough time to kill both (or maybe I should hire some PNG). More, I didn't find any dialogue to refuse their offers to pay my silence and to attack them. Damn it: I was using a paladin/cleric so something like "nothing of what you offer to me may stop me from making my duty and free the world from your evil presence! [you attack]" I was forced to ignore any other dialogue and to attack them directly.

Back to PNG (spoiler)
    - I don't remember if it was you who added new dialogue options about inventory, but once I say to the PNG not to sell or give away any item, there is no way to tell him "now you can sell what you don't like". As well, when I asked the PNG to sell me some of his/her stuff, he sold me all the items that I could already take him away by myself, when that function is supposed to to take away the items that the PNG won't relase.

SPOILER
    AS: I don't know if in the english version the class that gets weapon specialization is called to warrior or fighter, but I'm talking about THAT one.

- the archer in the elemental air node doesn't have any specialization feat with longbows. Any warrior without weapon specialization sucks. You could equip him with a composite (STR bonus +2) longbow that is available among the ToEE item list but NOT in the game! (damn. making an archer without a composite longbow is like making a sorcerer without magic missiles!) And maybe those masterwork items: buckler, short sword or rapier, chainmail armor. And maybe remove that combat reflexes with weapon finesse.
    - Otis is as well a generic fighter with no weapon specialization. As above, he sucks AND not giving any weapon specialization feat reduces, for me, a PNG charisma and singularity.
    - elmo starts as ranger and then rises up like warrior, without any feat related to weapons: double nonsense.
    - Kobort as barbarian and then as warrior, as above. If he would get barbarian rage and weapon specialization with some 2-handed weapon, it could be a deal! I know that he his an idiot, but dropping the barbarian class for the warrior one just for bonus feats not related to improving a weapon effectiveness is just too far away from all good sense.
    - zaxxis starts as bard and then again dualclasses to warrior, without amy real benefit and not growing as spellcaster anymore. More, I expected to find her sister, instead I never got her. Is she a random encounter?
    - many evil clerics available in the game doesn't have domain spells. They sucks
    - the gipsy that is in the hands of Mona starts as a thief and then - surprice - levels to warrior with few benefits. (maybe she get the competence in spiked chain, but I'm not sure) So still is a dump if a party seeks for a good thief.
    - One of the two orcs in the first temple level should join the party with some serious wound and/or a damage to consitution score for loosing his eye. I don't remember what is their level progression, but one is strong but with the other scores that are all pretty low, the other one is weak but with decent other scores. Maybe making one a barbarian and the other one .... just something else would be more interesting.
    - that Druid in the last temple level actually joins only true neutral parties with another druid inside. She is quite good but there is no reason for wich she couldn't join other not-evil neutral parties (LN, NG), maybe with a diplomacy check "we are fighting for the same goal, join us" or with a dispell magic, that will stop the action of her magic ring, or a true vision spell. At last she could not join but share the informations that she got about the temple with the party.
    I can't remember anyother really interesting PNG. I never used the gay prate in Nulb or other PNGs. (not a very skilled PNG anyway, that I can remember)
    Matt

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  5. Yavathol

Yavathol Member

Blacksmith's chest

Livonya, love the new mods! Thanks heaps for all your hard work :sphappy:

A couple of points/queries

I too was unable to see any kids, though the rest of your stuff seems to be present. Could you please elaborate on how to do the maps. I already had some files in the maps directory, and they all seemed like garbage, so I deleted all the files.

The trapped thieves tools in the moathouse - hehe. I got my monk to sneak up to them and deliberately set the trap off. The monk made his Fort. save, but the party got some nice, easy xp as the trap took out several of the bandits nearby. If the bandits were responsible for trapping the tools, maybe they should take cover a bit further away!

I have talked to the Blacksmith about his chest, but when I cast Knock on it, the spell fizzles! Is this meant to happen? Since I deliberately designed my party without a thief, thinking Knock would suffice, could we rethink this please?

Looking forward to v1.5! Thanks again :cool:

6. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

From what I've read on here some people seem to have problems seeing the kids if they don't erase the extra maps in the maps folder (the ones with the funny names). I would suggest you use TOEE front-end 1.0, it cleans out these files for you, and gives you several nice options like putting the game in windowed mode.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Okay, thanks for the fix, Livonya. I've playing with Atari 2 and Co8 and never encountered the problem with the diary before installing your mod. (Based on your explanation, I'm wondering if some of these bugs people are encountering have always been there, but just weren't active until your mod fixed some of the other stuff.)

8. Livonya

Kalshane -

I am not sure.

I have archieved versions of TOEE.

The ones before I started Modding all have these errors.

The ones before I added Co8 and the second Atari patch do not have these errors.

I suspect that either Atari Patch 2 or the latest Co8 introduced them and people weren't really playing enough to notice. Who knows.

In any event I have been working hard to get everything fixed. Every time someone posts a problem I add it to my list... the list is slowly shortening.

- Livonya

9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Understood and it is appreciated it. I was just commenting that it seems like a lot of things were broken but unnoticible because of other things being broken.

10. Livonya

You have not installed the maps folders correctly. Please go back to the instructions. If you are missing the kids then you are missing much more as well.

No, this was designed for a thief. Not for a mage. You need a thief for this... end of story.

There are many things in game that will ONLY occur if you have the proper class. This is true for stuff that Troika did as well as for what I did.

No big deal. It just means that you will have different stuff to do when you re-play the game.

- Livonya

11. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

that chest is a tough one to crack but it can be done. its a nice touch for the game. course im still working on Liv's hardest challenge. still havent tracked down that merchant, the beautiful one was allowed to live and go free this time but no one in Nulb has changed as of yet so i guess illl start looking in the temple, maybe ill find beauty again while im at it now lol.

12. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i ran into a small problem that i havnt seen before. im putting it in here cause its a mild spoiler.
    when i buy serena from mona and then ask her to join the party everything is fine and i can get rid of her anytime. i take her with me into the brothel and go upstairs so she and her sisiter can meet, this only works the first time you talk with rianna and serena has to be with you. after they meet if i ask serna to leave the group she says she is leaving but she is still in the group no matter how many times i ask her to leave. its not your mod Liv cause i went through this part once before since installing yours and i dont remember this problem.

oh i almost forgot. i went back through and got rid of serna before talking with rianna and then when i checked my inventory i saw i had all of serenas stuff without asking for it. i was wondering why she was running around naked lol.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  13. Livonya

Okay, I will work on it.

The reason her stuff is in your inventory is my fault. When I was playing TOEE for myself I made all the NPCs dump their stuff in my inventory when I first took them... just to get their stuff out of their control. I must have forgotten to deleate that from Serena.

I am going to fix them and get them to act like sisters as well. They should make a good team if they actually knew each other.

- Livonya

14. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

oh something else i remember some people saying they were having a problem buying rianna's freedom. well if you sleep with jehelda or the madam and then talk with rianna you will get the option to ask her to join you and not have to pay anything for it.

15. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Actually, it makes sense that you would get all of her stuff if you buy her as a slave, but if you give her her freedom, she should have her stuff on her person IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!