[SPOILERS] Livonya's Merchant

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by kakitadairu, Mar 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. kakitadairu

kakitadairu Member

ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

The first two times through TOEE I found Livonya's merchant fine. But since then, he's not there!

I've searched through the threads... just like Livonya said, it must be something you do when you're "new" to the game that triggers it! But I can't think what it is! Maybe it's talking to everyone in Hommlett?

SPOILER

He appears in Nulb in the empty house in the South East corner and sells great stuff, including some rather unbalanced armor.

Anyone know?

Also, a bug that may or may not be related is somehow one of my savegames got corrupted and I can't go back to Hommlett. The game crashes, sometimes my party members turn into chickens before it happens. This is the party where I basically slaughtered everyone in Homlett for giggles. Just a random corruption, or is it a real bug?

Yeah, there are a ton of bugs still. Another one I found is that Vincent Visionmaker (the Wizard in the NPC Adventurers encounter) shoots 8 Magic Missiles instead of 4. So he definitely has a Magic Missile bug going on.

There is a blindspot in Imerdry Run in the South West corner where if you are there, the frogs can't get to you. They'll just sit there and pass.

There are quite a few bugs when you solo (some dialogues won't be initiated).

Some of the challenges of the game can be bypassed if you deal non lethal damage to an enemy, thus "putting them to sleep" instead of killing them. For instance, Lareth and Hedrack wont be able to call for help. Don't know if you guys want to fix this.

Cheers,

Dai

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Is that Ah Fong? If it is, than that is Shiningted's merchant - not Livonya's, and he should always be there.
    Did you start a new game? or continue with an old game with the new mod? Some issues do arise due to new items embedded into the .sec files (the other give away that this is the problem is MAJOR slowdowns and clouds of butterflies or firefies.
    Not seen that one myself.
    Well that's good to know.
    Many dialogue options are dependant on your diplomacy skills (bluff, diplomacy, gather information, intimidate and sense motive).
    Well that's just downright sneaky:ninja:

3. kakitadairu

kakitadairu Member

Thanks Allyx!

I reinstalled without DH because I was uncomfortable sharing the top floor of the Welcome Wench with a Giant Rat. So I guess that's why I've been missing Fong. Hm. Now I'm curious about the mysterious merchant!

Vincent Visionmaker bug happens when you Suggest him and he is in your party. I started noticing when he was doing 50-60 points with Missiles...

Some other bugs I found yesterday...

Fun with Magical Vestment/ Magical Weapon

OK so casting Magic Vestment/ Magical Weapon on normal weapons/ armor make them magical, so they can be crafted. However, once the spell wears off, all the enchantments, even the crafting ones, go away... right? Well, no. It seems, the engine removes the last crafting mod you added for each spell that wears off. However, if you added multiple crafting mods, the other ones stick. So the abuses with this bug are

1) Obviously, this bug compounds the issues with the spillover costs crating bug where you gain lotsa copper and experience

2) Even without exploiting that bug, you can still add +3 and Keen to your weapons for dirt cheap

3) You can add a +3AC enhancement bonus to pretty much everything. Including Bracers of Armor, Belts of Giant Strength, Cloaks of Elvenkind, Rings, etc... only 1 armor enhancement modifier counts, but it lets classes that really shouldn't be able to get it like Monks get an extra +3AC.

4) Last but not least, strangely, armor created this way gives you a +1 bonus to Improved Trip (the die roll lists the Armor as the source of a +1 bonus to the Attribute check). Is this a bug with armor, or is it a normal effect of Enlarge Person?

Game Crashes

The game still crashes rather randomly. There seems to be spots where if I click on it, it'll crash the game, even though there is no object there. There is one spot on the main floor of the Wench next to the registrar book, and some other spots as well.

More Non Lethal Damage Fun

I'm pretty sure this works... you can basically beat up everyone in Homlett without getting the Butcher rep by just dealing non- lethal damage to them. So beat everyone up and loot.

More Cheese With Suggestion

You can cast Suggestion on a shopkeeper (such as Skole)... kind of like having a walking fighting Bag of Holding since you can sell loot to him easily enough. Then, when you've made enough money, some Items go into his actual inventory so you can kill him and take a lot of the stuff back.

The Elf Maiden who gives you the reward for rescuing Countess Talihi, if you charm her before talking to her, she can't leave and you can keep on hitting her up for more reward. Strangely, it doesn't work on the Paladin who comes with Thrommel's reward.

Solo Exploit

I guess you can add extra party members with the registrar book. So a way this can be exploited is by just creating 1 party member at first, do the Homlett quests for 6000 experience points so you have a level 4 character. And if you happen to be a cleric, you can run through Emidry Meadows, blasting all the Undead, sneak into the Moat House and blast all the Ghouls, sneak into Lareth's and beat him up to get to the Temple and the bone corridor exit from the express shaft on level 2 and blast all the skeletons and gnolls there as well, which puts you at level 7, then blast the ghouls and the ghasts to the south and you have a level 8 character in less than an hour. Then you invite the other party members and breeze through the game. I guess this is what Livonya is talking about the game getting too routine once you know the ins and outs...

I wouldn't mind some of these exploits getting the boot with future mods, if possible. When I decided to solo, I was expecting it to make the game harder, not easier...

Cheers,

Dai

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Q: When you reinstalled, did you uninstall the Co8 4 MOD and ToEE, delete all of the remaining ToEE game folders and files, reboot the computer, and after rebooting, do a complete install of ToEE, apply Atari Patch2, install the Co8 4 MOD, and reboot?

5. kakitadairu

kakitadairu Member

I just did the automatic uninstall, then I reinstalled the game, the patch, no cd patch, Co8 4.0. So I didn't delete the entire directory.

Cheers,

Dai

Our Host!