[SPOILERS] Co8 v7 Beta Testing Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Sep 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Game Update:
    I started working on the first level of the temple. Note, I generally dont like clearing levels. Doing the temple has never been the fun part for me. Doing everything other than the temple is fun for me. I generally do the temple for gear and quests. Gaear, do you mind if I play the same way? If so I will have lower exp than others (but that might be a good test for lower level characters). If not, let me know if you want me to clear all levels, 75% of the levels, ect.

Anyway, I killed some gnolls, turnkey, released the girls, and the bugbears outside the gnomes prison. That got my PC's to level 5. I left the temple, and rested/sold items in Nulb. I then began clearing HB. I am in the process of doing that now (PC's are 5, Furnok is 6). I will probably do arena area this.

During one HB battle two of the soliders stood around and did not attack. I starred them on the attached pic. Also, the assassin in the same fight attacked my fighter, while the orc warriors/fighters went for my mage. Isn't it supposed to be vice versa?

Attached Files:

• nada.jpg
      nada.jpg
      File size:
      194.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

OK, just wanted to confirm that Gaear's fix for the moat-house transitions is working.

I still have an unattached door in the courtyard where the thieves tools is normally at.

I wonder, when an item placed has an incorrect script is a door the default spawn?

3. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Game Update:

I played a bunch today. I was clearing HB and got my PCs to level 6. I then did the cave. Following that I did arena I think, and it was ok. I got the witch quest, but was too low to complete it well. I got Verb from Smythe and went there. Talked to Wilfrick and got the gnome/drow/dragon quest but havent started (too low). Also got the capture quest (which I realize I cant do since I have Furnok taking up an NPC slot). I think somewhere in there Furnok gained a level too, and I think I gave him a level of fighter but not sure.

I havent seen all the additions to Verb 2.0 beyond the original. So I went around and meet the hextors. Two of my characters follow Hextor so they asked me to kill the canon guy. The setup sounds a lot like killing Wilfrick. Did you change the quest or is it the same quest? I accepted and he told me to come back in a couple of days. I will probably be back in weeks since I am so low.

I found the secret door in the Hextors basement and followed it. It took me to some room with a servant in it. Is this the bottom of the castle? He servant said nothing and the ladder icon up did not work.

I felt the need to level up some more so I grubs eye quest, found off the band of guys in my Nulb house, and I cleared the tower's guard house. This leveled my characters up to 7 (same level as Furnok). With the new spells and HP I felt confident to do the witch and this time it went much easier. Furnok leveled at the time and I havent given him a level yet, I want to see if there is a way to determine what levels he has right now.

Other notes: I saw you changed the model for Mother in the swamp. Nice touch. Also, I am basically avoiding the temple. I think I can get pretty high with the Verb quests for a bit and I will come back once higher level so I can plow through the temple.

My plan is to do the witch's sister drow incident, and then do the Verb drow. Then I might clear a couple levels of the temple. I am postponing the Hextor missing for a while.

4. emo_ome

emo_ome Butcher Of Hommlet

So here are the strange things I've seen in the beta.

There is a strange door outside the Moathouse courtyard, the dead mobs stays in their place even though I rested for a week. There are two brother Smyth after I gave the head of the giant for the "Masterwork Item" quest. I've also seen two Armario (Cabinet Maker), one can initiate dialog the other one can't. He's just standing next to the original. Mickey talks as if we've been in Nulb and Intimidated him, telling "I promise! I haven't been back to that evil town...".

Meleny's animal companion is dead and then I rested back at the moathouse tower, when I returned at the dungeon, it is there alive but do nothing and can be seen at random places such as the giant crayfish place and the hallway before the moathouse hidden exit.

Levels so far:

Level 2 after killing the goblin leader in Welkwood island, then Level 3 after killing the bandits in the Moathouse courtyard, then Level 4 after killing Lareth and Co. Lastly, gained Level 5 after reporting the "Agent Revealed" quest to Burne.

This is all for now, I'm on my way to HB, hopefully I'll be reporting back this Sunday. :)

Edit:
    Gaear I've also downloaded the fix for the Magic Missile bug and the doors. Without those fix I can't cast Magic Missiles properly as if it fizzles and also for the non working doors.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Gaear,

Wow... literally, wow is all I can say. I dont know when you added content since I havent played the last couple of versions, but wow. Ok, here is my update.

I did the drow fight via the witches note, my PC's became level 8. I then cleared level 1 of the temple, Furnok became level 9 and my PC's became level 9 at a later point on level one. I left the temple and did the drow tunnel quest in Verb. A couple notes.

I had a long continuous fight of the last two rooms of drow (the matriarch room and the one before it). Those two rooms gave my 5 lvl 9 characters 7816 experience each, which seems a bit high. Everyone leveled to 10.

I continued on and noticed all of the models for dragons have turned into gargoyles. I am not sure if this is intentional. If so, why? The dragon models were not the best, but re-texturing them might not be that hard. I am kinda assuming it is a protos model # error (I assume that is what happened in the courtyard with the door instead of tools).

I killed the 'white dragon' and reported to Wilfrick. Note: When I told him I had something to report, I told him about the dragon. After that I was unable to report anything about the drow. Wilfrick gave me the slavers quest. I had the option to tell him about the Thaddues ambush, but I didnt.

I then bought the castle, and wow. You made it look amazing. I am super impressed. I went downstairs and confirmed that the room I thought that linked from the Hextors to the castle is in fact there. This time the ladder did let me up. Everything looks amazing and I cant express in words how cool it is. There are a few things to note though.

First, the teleporters on the top floor allow you yo access places you havent been yet. I had not gone to the 2-4th floors of the temple but it let me. Not a huge deal, but I noted it. Also, the outside roof scene depicts Hommlet below, not Verb. Not sure what to do other than make the map smaller.

Third, I have heard rumors of a ghost that comes out at night in Castle. I was unable to find the ghost. I ran all over the place at night and nada.

I am impressed Gaear, you have done an amazing job. I cant wait to try the WotGS quest. What level do you suggest I am before I try? And who would I talk to? :)

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The old models were switched in favor of gargoyles, yes. I asked for opinions about that in some thread or other, and I think only Edwin replied, in favor. The original dragon models (ice lizards or whatever) were really poor, imo. While the gargoyle model is not perfect, I think it's better.

Yeah, that is an issue but I can't think of any way to limit it without using like 100 flags. Normally by the time players get the castle, they will have been everywhere the portals can take you. But your playthrough is irregular.

?? You mean the roof of the Verbo castle? That's the Verbo exterior map, so it can't be Hommlet. Or are you talking about the minimap or something?

Did you get the Moathouse Ambush? (Turuko et al)

Actually I was hoping that you all would stop around level 10 so we can get on the same page before moving on to that and the Verbo stuff, or at least see where we're all at.

7. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Ok I kept playing. My characters were level 10 when I stopped last night.

First to answer your questions.
    1) I was wrong about the map below the castle tower. It looks nice. For some reason I saw the road and assumed it was Hommlet.
    2) Yes I did Turuko ambush. I had to teleport out to him at that point, but I did kill him during the ambush. Is he the ghost? :) I also got the gem quest from Zook, does that play a role?
    3) I can stop at level 10/11.

Update/Concerns. I was level 10 with all characters when I stopped last night. I began clearing temple level 2, and did all of the main areas (except the salamders that shoot fireballs, they still kick my butt). I dont think I ever played reactive temple since I generally dislike temple, but this made it a lot better. However, the main battles with the factions gave very little exp. My level ten group got the following for each main fight:

Air: 783 each
    Fire: 1234 each
    Water: 724

I feel that is low compared to the drow fight I mentioned in my last post since some of the faction fights were a little tough. Anyway, I did about 70 of the total content of level 2 (Furnok got to level 11) and went to Hommlet to sell. I then tried to walk back to the temple and met Robin :)

The Robin fight is hard. I had to say that I was a lord of the land, when really I am not a lord (in the WotGS sense, since I dont rule Hommlet) but I do own the castle. I attempted it twice and got slaughtered both times. If you get bad initative, which is likely with the # of foes, you can die quick. Those archers shoot 2-3 times each and they would put down one character before the end of the round, and the rogues would destroy my casters. I suggest turning down the firepower on the archers. It is a rough fight since you have no time to buff. I eventually skipped it by teleporting (via spell) to the temple.

I wanted to get to level 3 quick, so I took the path to the left. I could of swore this used to lead to the burnt out house with the path down, it doesnt anymore. I could be wrong though. I searched all over. Am I crazy?

I did a few fights in level three. I did the Falrinth fight and he escapes like usual. It might be nice to see him later like Senshock. I killed the room of 3 yellow molds, which gave me zero exp. I thought that was strange.

CRAP, I just realized I did not set my level cap to 20 in TFE. DAMNIT. Grr... I thought Furnok was 11 though.. weird. I cant believe I did that. My PC's are about 900 exp from level 11. Can I fix that after I start?

Well I think I am stuck at level 10 so let me know what to do.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I guess you should just try resetting the cap and see if it works. Otherwise you're SOL.

I'll comment on the other stuff later, but for now, if everyone could tell me exactly where they're at (level and progress) and STOP at level 10 or thereabouts, that would be good.

9. sirchet

Alright, got some time to play!

Level 1 ... Start. :roll:
    Level 2 ... Welkwood Bog Final fight, (after). Cleared out spiders before bog.
    Level 3 ... Moathouse 2nd level after jailed zombies, (went down the stairs in the main room).
    Level 4 ... Moathouse final fight with Lareth including the called spiders.
    Level 5 ... After assassin ambush, Imeryd's Run & Waterside Hostel, (whooped up the den of thieves)
    Level 6 ... HB halve cleared, (just the outside and no minator).
    Level 7 ... Smigmul and two rounds of AoH
    Level 8 ... HB 100% including Minator and 1/2 of Temple first level, (resued orcs, girls and sailor)

Side note; My NPC (Tickle me) Elmo gained a level after the fight with the room full of bugbears on the third level under the moathouse and another level after the assassin ambush.
    Elmo gained another level upon completing the outside area of HB.
    Elmo gained another level after killing Falrith.

Sorry I haven't been more help, but time has been a short commodity lately.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I think I am ok. Furnok is level 11. I thought I had messed up since I didnt adjust the level cap higher when I started, but neither did I use the 'use level cap' feature. I should be fine.

My PCs are 10 and Furnok is 11 after:

WWB
    Emridy Meadows
    Moathouse w/ Lareth
    HB
    Moathouse Ambush
    Moathouse Respawn
    Arena
    Temple level 1 (70% clear)
    Temple level 2 (70% clear)
    Temple level 3 (20% clear) (Smigal (first fight), Falrinth, and everything up to Thrommel)
    Temple Tower Guard House
    Save witch's sister from drow
    Drow in tunnels + dragon

Forgot 2 More:
    Nulb Ambush
    Grud's Eye

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  11. emo_ome

emo_ome Butcher Of Hommlet

I've just finished HB (w/o the minotaur) and the Nulb Ambush scene, now my party is level 6 and currently doing AoH.

12. sirchet

I have experienced a strange happening in Hommlet. It seems that the dirt road directly south of The Church of ST Cuthbert can swallow a player.

OK OK, the player character disappears, or passes behind the texture of the road in the spot circled in the picture, he appears again once he has passed through the small area.

If you look closely at the circled area you can see a piece of the blue circle at his feet.

[​IMG]

13. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

hey sir chet, or fellow testers Ranth, em-ome & Gaear: what is the recommended way to capture screen captures of TOEE? I imagine i would only able to do so in "windowed" mode...

I have experienced some odd things like:
    duplicates of Armario & Brother Smyth

In the case of Armario, i could only speak to the one on the right - the clone appeared when i had turned in the Deklo Grove quest to the woodsman. In the case of Brother Smyth, the second one appeared after i turned in the Giant's Head quest for masterwork items, as Ranth previously reported...

I have also experienced some awkward movements of my characters (i hope not the dreaded "jerkstop") as i have in my current party 5 commanded skeleton warriors. My dark cleric turned them, and they have been somewhat helpful in battle (sometimes they just stand there) but i have also experienced a few random CTD and i am wondering if they are possibly the cause? is there a "limit" on how many characters can be in the party?

also, still encountering LONG periods of hang after leaving certain maps, with no apparent pattern to their occurrence...

After my wizard's familiar was killed in combat, i tried taking it to Jaroo to perform a reincarnation. Oddly that allowed me to then Call another familiar, though i still had "control" of the previous one... the previous one now had enough EXP to be 19th level on it's character sheet (!?!! really wierd, wish i could have screen-captured THAT) but no other data, just like a normal NPC character with hidden stats. I also could not "put it in my backpack". This oddness convinced me to RESET, and do the battle over. It does say in the TOEE notes that a familiar should be able to be resurrected, but i know the summonable familiar as it is now is mostly a Co8 built feature.

i have no idea why, but maybe this led to one of my saves corrupting later ... even though i did not save after this happened obviously! During that play session, i just loaded the previous save. 2 saves later, one of them corrupted. I IMMEDIATELY deleted that save, and took the game down, and rebooted the laptop for good measure. no issues since! whew.

OK, current status: Just turned LVL 6, working on Nulb, AOH, HB quests (have not started HB yet).

14. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Hey JD,

What I do is first save, then press the 'print screen' button on the keyboard. Toee may stall for a second or two as it takes the screen shot. Then Alt+tab out of Toee and open Paint (Start > Program> Accessories > Paint).

Then do a paste (Control + v) and the screen shot should appear. Then just save the file as a JPG.

15. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

OK this is my official check-in post:

Current CN party

CE Cleric of Nerull (Death/Trickery) 5/ Necromancer 1 - female elf Morgana Ravenblade
    TN Barbarian 2/ Druid 4 - male half-orc Bruin Brokentooth
    CN Cleric of Obad Hai (Plants/Earth) 6 - female gnome Chloe Treetalker
    CG Bard 3/ Ranger 3 - male half-elf J'allan UlDragos
    TN Rogue 4/ Sorceror 2 - NPC Furnok

I have progressed so far:
    Welkwood Bog
    Deklo Grove, Black Jay, Armario, Jayfie, Traders Revealed
    Moathouse
    part of Emridy meadows (mainly to see if i could turn/command skeletons yet)
    Lareth & Co. and the Big 3 fight
    unlocked Nulb
    slew the giant in Emridy Meadows, commanded some more skellies
    Triple-Cross, however i botched the quest as i preferred to take out Rentsch & Wat myself
    Assassin, and Rannos & Gremag
    Mona's Orb quest, Serena & Raina reunited & bought their freedom
    bought the house in Nulb
    Some Earth Temple quests
    Imeryds Run battle and the Gar quest
    some random encounters...

**** things i have noted that were out of the ordinary ****
    - multiple hangs in exiting maps, black screen, music plays...
    - Armario and Brother Smyth duplicates issue previously reported. Armarios's double does not react/speak so the new inventory is not unlocked. There are now two Brother Smyths side by side - one with the new, one with the old inventory.
    - Had a LOT more difficulty catching Rannos, Gremag, or the courier out in the barn in conversation. At current level 6, it should not be any issue for my bard character or my clerics with high conversation skills to be able to initiate the various dialogue choices. i finally had to simply attack Gremag, as when i accused him of sending the assassin after selling them one of Lareth's gear, he just shrugged and said it wasn't him. NEVER had that happen in a playthru before. were the dialog flags for these increased? Also, Gremag was the only one who you could initiate those types of dialogues with. Rannos simply talked about the store wares available. i could not get him to trigger any other dialogues. It seemed the courier had several avenues of conversation before, but i could only trigger one this time. something seems odd about this...! Also, when i was able to get Gremag to admit they had dealing with Jayfie, before there were significant bribes offered. Now there was only 50, or a Diplomacy choice of 100 goldoffered to "keep quiet".

Was that changed?

- bodies of slain foes in various locations never disappear. For example - the Moathouse courtyard, the inner room with the bandits.
    This is a benefit for my dark cleric to use Animate Dead on, but i know it is not normal for the bodies to still be there!

- while selling ALOT of gear to Brother Smyth after defeating Lareth, Big 3, et al. (basically the whole take from the Moathouse) had a graphical glitch where one of the buttons on the character backpack screen "pulled off" ... basically the DROP button appeared locked to its place on the middle of the screen whether the character backpack window was open or not. a few seconds later, CTD. I think something screwy happened from pulling items en-masse from the Extraplanar Chest. Needless to say, i rebooted, and was more careful the second time around, and the graphics stayed where they were supposed to. LOL crazy ...

**** interesting new tactics ****
    I tried something new when fighting Lareth and Co. this time. I was close to 4th level when approaching his lair, so i exited, rested, did 3 random encounters to get to 4th level, and decided to try to "Roleplay" this fight more... As you may have seen in a previous post of mine, i reasoned that the CE member of this group was a former flame of the ignominious Lareth the Beautiful. so this was HER grudge match for the game, and i envisioned it going a certain way, trying to control the field against his larger forces. DESTROYING him utterly. As he had tried to teach her dark cleric abilities and she had failed him, and he cast her out for her failure, i figured THAT was the weapon she would use against him.

So i commanded some skeletons from Emridy Meadows, and headed back to Lareth's lair. Furnok used his ring of invisibility to secret himself in the office of the master, and Morgana used her Trickery Domain magic to also make herself invisible and also waltz right into the office of the master. They took up ambush positions flanking him. what's amusing, is that the AI allowed me to then send my squad of commanded skeletons back there as well, so the office was filled to the brim, stacking the odds against Lareth. I guess he did not think that was odd, what were they doing back there ... Trick or Treating? Volunteering!? just hanging out? Selling Ghoul Scout cookies?? LOL

I then had my other 3 team members pre-buff as they could, and charge the gate, so to speak. The AI bottlenecked in both cases against these unconventional tactics, and i was able to ambush and slay Lareth with some lucky, sneak blows before he could summon Lolth's protection. Not a fan of fighting those spiders, so that is what i was aiming for. Even more fitting, i had my Cleric of Nerull use her class ability Death Touch on him. THAT is a powerful ability!!!

Since i was able to flank the larger force on both sides, i was able to control how many i faced at a time, and press them inwards, instead of slogging through a hail of crossbow bolts.

I know Lareth joins the fight now, i have tried it that way before - it's GREAT!!! i thought these assassin tactics would be interesting to try... and they worked! Lareth had some interesting lines i had not heard before, to his lieutenant about "not taking care of business". LOL

ONE odd thing. Lareth was able to target my group out in the hallway with SoundBurst, while he was under attack in his office - even though they were out of his line of sight. how was that possible? Is that a scripted event?

also, some errata noticed in an item description. the Tetsubo in Ah Fongs Emporium says it is a 1 D 10 in the long description, but the weapon stats box says 2 D 6 ... which is it?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
Our Host!