SPOILER: Target of Revenge too hard?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nitewolf, Apr 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

There I was, a huge group of PC's including a 5th level Rogue, a 5th level Paladin, a 5th level Cleric, a 6th level Wizard, a 6th level Monk, a 6th level Fighter, and a 6th level Ranger. I entered my house in nulb, and was assulted by 7 (i think) enemies, including both Romag and Gremag (or whatever). Yes, I let them both flee in Homlett.

Anyway, It took them three rounds to TPK.

Tried again (thankfully I saved just prior to entering the house). This time it took four rounds.

I changed some tactics, tried again, and as my Ranger sunk the sharp blade of his Great Cleaver into the neck of the final foe, CTD (memory related, no prob with mod).

Taking a deep breath and rolling up my sleaves, Once more into the breache.
    This time, I got 'em, and my whole party lived!

As I begin to gather the loot from the bodies strewn about my living room floor, My battery gives out. AARRRRgh!

And now, here I am, about to fight the good fight once again.

Average 5th - 6th level, pretty strong, all have either magical or masterwork weapons. My Ranger can take down a troll alone in 1 round (4 attacks per).

Is this encounter too tough?

Personally, I wouldn't change it for anything...I love the challenge!!!

Thanks Livonya!

the 'Wolf

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Looking forward to it.

OT to The Wolf: whereabouts in Saginaw do you hail from? I'm a "Michigander" myself, albeit SE.

3. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

about the middle of the township, roughly...

Thanks for the encouragement...I got 'em this time. Great amount of loot.
    Man, those guys hit hard.

I've never been able to duplicate their hitting power on a regular basis without a Holy, Flaming, Shock burst weapon or some such...

Anyway, it was a fun fight. If I hadn't been paranoid and immediately hit the F12 key at the end of the fight, I think I would have done it again, just for fun!

BTW, Noone on my side died, either (Except the summoned monsters, One hit and the Divine Bear was toast...then the enchantress charmed it! wierd).

4. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

I did this fight the other night with 6 level 5 PCs... it was tough, but I definitely wouldn't call it too hard... at least not for a somewhat experienced player.

I love these kinds of fights... and relish the opportunity to try them again and again until I can get through w/o any PC deaths. The hardest part of this fight for me was surviving round 1 against the assassin who got the first initiative each and every time I tried it. His 4 sneak attacks against any of my party were (he almost always went for my rogue) were just too much. I just had to count on him missing at least 2 times to have half a chance to survive.

The fight was way fun... up there with the broken tower fight.

5. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

I agree totally! Fun killin' baddies...hee hee...

6. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

oh yeah its a great fight and definitly beatable it took me a few trys the first time. i actually left and came back for them later cause i was only 4th lvl and they were wiping me out lol.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I did the fight probably 6 times with my 5 5th level characters and kept getting wiped out. Nitewolf was right about them hitting hard. With the exception of Rannos (unless he to sneak attack, in which case "Ouch") and the spellcasters, they were all doing a minimum of 15 points of damage every time they hit my characters. It was insane.

I finally left and came back at 6th level and managed to pull through on the second try. My fighter having a second attack and my sorcerer having fireball made a big difference. (The barbarian with a Will Save of -1 kept rolling 17s and higher to save against my sorcerer's charm person spells. It was unreal.)

So yes, very tough fight, but very satisfying to finally win.

8. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

A couple of questions for those that have played this fight...

1) Is the loot/treasure too much?

2) What level do you think the party should be when they encounter these folks?

- Livonya

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

1. Possibly. It's a lot of masterwork. But then it's a very, very tough fight. That said, most of the masterwork ends up on NPCs (I don't tend to craft in the game anyways).

2. 5 or 6. But it all depends on your group. Some people will find it a lot tougher than others because they choose not to use NPCs. I only get through the fight by using druid summoned animals.

10. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

id say at least 5th its doable then, part of it depends on the inititive. anything over 6th would be to easy. as to the treasure well it is a bit much but there isnt really much magical so it balances out. i sell most of what they have. id like to get the enchantresses familar too lol. all in all i love it :)

11. Livonya

It was funny, I wanted to see what would happen if I gave her a familiar. It worked as intended, but I didn't realize that it would show up as inventory when she died... kind of funny.

In my next build I am putting in some things to suck money out of the party, so maybe that will help to balance it out.

The more I play the more I am convinced that there is too much money in the economy.

- Livonya

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hmmmm....

...Livonya Greenspan?

13. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Well, in PNP, a group of 8th level NPCs is more than you'd want to throw at 5th or even 6th level party. They'd normally slaughter them. However, the game being what it is, 6th level is about right. And I felt the amount of treasure was fair considering how tough the fight actually is.

14. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

I'd say at least 6th -7th level realistically as well. I fought them at fifth, and I only got through it because I'm stubborn. Not everyone will find such a high challenge to be fun... but an extra level should make it that much more doable.

I've actually done this encounter twice now... the first time was with a 9th level party. Although it was still challenging... my party pretty much wiped the floor with the enemies when it was all said and done. I think I made it through the first time w/o any PC deaths IIRC... but it's possible I may have had to reload once.

15. Livonya

I discovered an error in one of my scripts involving this encounter... I accidentally used "and" instead of "or" so the criteria for this event was all messed up.

In the 2.0 version it will be quite different... or at least more unpredictable.

- Livonya

Our Host!