Spiritual weapon most powerful spell in game?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tom, May 21, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

I just killed four hill giants with two spiritual weapons and a party using range weapons.

Monster AI forces the monster to attack the spiritual weapon and ignore the party. It effectively takes monsters out of the fight for the duration of the spell without giving them a save.

Combine this with range weapons or area affect spells and even the toughest of melees becomes a formality.

Any chance of tweaking the monster AI so that it ignores the spiritual weapon and goes for the party instead?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

We used to have that thanks to Sitra Achara, but it was a bit glitchy and caused some CTDs. It's not likely to return at this point.

3. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Spiritual weapons used to not have HP's if I remember correctly- now that they do, they don't last nearly as long in combat. Don't get me wrong, they're still amazingly useful but the most powerful spell? Or are you saying most useful? If the later, then IMO Charm Person/Monster or Grease almost never lose their usefulness...

4. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

I keep on reading about this spell and how good it is, but everytime I use that spell the monster always ignore the spiritual weapon and attack my party. So I stoped using that spell in general.(Last played 7.6 but can't exactly remenber when I last tried this spell)

5. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

actually a spiritual weapon cannot be attacked. dunno how that translates to toee, though, since i've never used this spell because as written (and intended) it sucks.

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The fix was present in versions 7-7.5 so you may have grown accustomed to it :)

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Why is it when a foe casts it only magical attacks damage it, but when I cast it the baddies can hurt it with a melee weapon?

Our Host!