speedruns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cujo, Feb 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I'm currently holidaying in thailand, staying at my parents place how teach english here. anyway I was bored the other day and downloaded an old favourite of mine, QUAKE, and in the course of looking it up I found out about something which has been around for quite some time, speedrunning.

The aim of a speedrun is to complete the game as fast as possible - I just watched a video of someone completing quake parts 1-4 in about 16mins. Quake isn't the only game altho they're often non-openworld, fps style games they don't have to be and one game which has speed run records is a turn based game.

I was thinking that maybe ToEE could be played in this style. All the extra content could be skiped as in other games large areas of maps or even whole levels are often skiped to shorten the playing time. basicly you'd try to get the end credits to roll with as little duration on the game clock as possible (no resting for 45days), also from waht I've seen of other games, console cheating isn't allowed, but exploiting glitches is so the all 18's cheat is valid.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats interesting. I watched a speedrun through Jedi Knight (a game I know inside out) and it just blew my mind as this guy hurtled through the game in a matter of minutes.

Siuted more to FPS games, but if someone did one for ToEE that would be worth seeing :)

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Spoiler Alert!

Sneak into Moathouse, recruit Lareth. Get through broken tower. Get Skull from Falrinth, opening throne door. Get through to behind Zug's throne. Done.

Not easy, but it seems like the shortest path. I'm not sure how to accomplish some of this at low levels. I'm also not sure I've covered everything, comments? :gotmyatte

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

I avoid long heals by having my cleric heal, rest 8 hrs, heal again until everyone's good.

This will not get a 16 minute run, but the day count is much reduced. For all the game ares, though; and it will prevent the Scather caravan.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Perhaps "incluiding a Zuggy-killing" should be a requirement - just sneaking in and grabbing the platinum seems a bit of a let-down.

Well thunk though GA, well thunk. :thumbsup:

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well using the rules for all other speed runs just sneaking past zugg would count in most other games, just hope she fails her spot check. And btw AG82 thats pretty much the way I'd do it (with rogues maxed in hide and move silently).

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

The sneak thing is what worried me. Can Zug see you if you use the curtains?

GA82. I actually would be AG78. TAMU, Class of 1978. Whoop! Hoowah! :thumbsup:

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

lol, woops, btw the local rum in thailand is pretty good and cheap to boot.

I might have to reinstall toee when I get home and see how quick I and do it.

Our Host!