Spaceman

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hugh Manetee, Apr 12, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Hey 50 years ago Yuri Gararin was the first man in space.

2. kio11

kio11 Established Member

yea? aztek tablets picture men in spacesuits

3. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Actually those were Mayan stone tablets, I think. :poke: Yeah and the men pictured in them tablets were not us, but travellers from Arcturus. Same guys who told the Mayans that the world will end at 2012, which is why their calendar picturing thousands of years end with that year. Same guys for whom the Incas did the Nazca Lines :crazy:

Yuri Gagarin was the first Human in space, though. :D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Contrary to Soviet propaganda, Gagarin was unable to complete the first flight, as he had to bail out of his capsule at high altitude and parachute the the rest of the way. But he was the first human to ride a human-built craft into orbit in recorded history.

5. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Contrary to US propaganda, the first Moon landing happend on Nevadan desert and not on actual surface of Moon. :twitch:

6. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

?

<no words could express how surprised I am to read this>

7. kio11

kio11 Established Member

are you suprised that you cant believe he wrote something so crazy or are you suprised to have your life-long beliefs shaken by the content of what he wrote?

8. stage

stage Member

QFE
    10char

9. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I think they unclassified that info not long ago. Nevertheless, it was a great achievement.

10. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

So what if he didn't ride his craft all the way to the ground, as far as I'm concerned he was the first man in space.

11. GuardianAngel82

The only reason I know this is because the PRESENT Russian government is more open with this information. Otherwise, I would not know.

It WAS a great achievement. That it was not all the way to the ground emphasizes how dangerous it was.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I'm not sure I've heard about bailing from the capsule before, but I don't see what's so surprising or earth-shaking about it, it's minor details. The guy rode a spaceship around the earth, it doesn't matter how exactly he landed.

13. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

OK, OK, another try here...

I think "unable to complete" means "unable to reach the orbit" (i.e. explosion at start) or "unable to return" (i.e. dies during descent) or something like that, when someone goes to orbit, orbits the Earth and then returns safely - it must be called a "successfully completed flight".

[EDIT] Probably there was some misunderstanding due to the different nature of that ship and USA Shuttles - Gagarin's ship was one-use (as modern Soviet and Russian spaceships are) so only return of the spacemen counts, and Shuttles are reusable, so if Shuttle does NOT return in one piece, it is indeed an unsuccessful flight.

As for the openness of present Russian government... Well, Soviet government was hiding some information, as all governments do. But, if present government discloses something, it is not necessarily true, actually, if it is something about Soviet era, it is probably false (and this too is typical for all governments - they try to make former ones look bad - whether they have truth on their side or not).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  14. GuardianAngel82

The original story has Gagarin leaving a capsule after it landed.

I think my language was precise, but I'm sorry if I caused confusion. The important part WAS accomplished.

But an Atlantic flight is not completed if the crew and passengers bail out and the plane crashes into the harbor.

15. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Yesss, becaussse the plane is reusssable.

<evil hissing>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!