Something about Amie

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Royal Canadian, Jun 10, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I am going to break down the code as I read it. Code is as follows per Ted:

Part 1: if (encounter.map == 5072
    Read As: If you are on the swamp map

Part 2: and game.global_flags[855] == 1
    Read As: And you have the find Swamp Lotus quest

Part 3: and game.global_flags[875] == 0):
    Read As: and the Swamp Lotus has not spawned

Part 4: game.global_flags[875] = 1
    Read As: Change flag 875 from 0 to 1
    Hence: The game thinks the Swamp Lotus Spawned

Part 5: flower = game.obj_create( 12900, location_from_axis (499L, 459L))
    Read As: Spawn the Swamp Lotus on the map

Therefore, if the flower spawned, and flag 875 was sent to TRUE, then it would never spawn again b/c the if statement would be invalid. Global Flag 875 gets triggered when the lotus spawns, not when you pick it up. Furthermore, it should spawn the first time you are on map 5072 with the quest.

I am not a Vista expert, but I doubt Vista would change global flags in the game for no reason. The only other possibility is something else in the game is changing flag 875 and therefore the Swamp Lotus would not spawn. Granted, this would be a remote chance and a pain in the ass to find.

Edit, the only other thing I can think of is that the monsters die on top of it and you cant see it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

This is a known error and has nothing to do with Vista. I had the same problem with my Windows XP machine. The common fix is found here:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1856

Look at bug fix #15 entry #16 NPC Resurrection bug

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Ranth
    Thanks for the code breakdown. Unfortunately it doesn't help me any.
    The Royal Canadian

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, its probably the map. To check bring up the console and type

game.leader.map

and it should tell you what map you are on.

5. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    Thanks for the info. I just checked my 3 saves. Even though the map for all three look exactly alike, when I typed game.leader.map in the console, I got 5072 for the first save and 5076 for the other two, which would certainly explain why the flower is not "spawning" there. I am still puzzled why it didn't "grow" on the first map though.
    The Royal Canadian

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There are actually two versions of all four random encounter maps (swamp, forest, river, and scrub): one version has a road in it, and the other does not. (So sometimes you actually are on a 'road' in the middle of a swamp, ha-ha.) In the case of the swamp road map, the road is barely visible but it's there.

Swamp -road is map #5076.

map-50-random-enc-swamp-road-day.jpg

Swamp -no road is map #5072.

map-39-random-enc-swamp-day.jpg

According to the script that Ranth outlined, the lotus spawns on the no-road swamp map.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

That's awesome! You're gonna make a lotta people happy with that little spoiler!

I loved that quest, but @$#*&!!! was it annoying to complete.

Thanks!

8. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Who puts that stupid road in the middle of a swamp?!?

Damned lizard men!!!

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey I mentioned the road / no road thing back in post 2 - you people don't listen to a word I say! :rant:

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I actually kind of like it myself. I assume the area was flooded somehow after the road was built. Have you ever been on a wilderness road that just dissolves into a flooded swamp? (Beavers do this in my neck of the woods by damming.) It's very creepy.

11. The Royal Canadian

Hi A. D. G.
    You would be surprised who would build roads (among other things) in or through swamps. If the only way to get from Point A to Point B is through a swamp, and enough people want/need to travel between those points, a road WILL be built at some point. If you were to look at a roadmap of the State of Michigan (USA) drawn in the early 1830's, most of the major "roads" went through or crossed a swamp at some point. Less than a kilometer from where I am sitting right now, there is an old railroad grade that crosses almost 2 kilometers of marshland. By the way, if you ever want to "impress" someone with knowledge of trivial things the difference between a marsh and a swamp, is that a swamp is a permanently wet area that is mostly trees and a marsh is a permanently area that is mostly grasses.

The Royal Canadian

12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

But what's a bog? How will I ever know if I'm in a bog?

13. The Royal Canadian

Hi Gaear
    I just thought of something. I now think it is quite logical that the Lotus would only spawn on the non-road map. If we assume that the flower is only found in pristine, undisturbed swamps, then it would not be found next to a road, even one that had been flooded sometime back. By the way if you haven't heard all the mischief Beavers can cause read this .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  14. The Royal Canadian

Hi Necroticpus
    I guess I should have kept my mouth shut, shouldn't I ?? A bog (and it's close cousin the Fen) is a grassland that is literally floating on water. Imagine a small pond. Over time, some grasses, mosses, and other plants (Water Lillies for example) will start "growing" on the water, starting from the edge of the banks. As the older plants die other plants will grow on top of them, forming a mat that will (eventually) completely cover the original lake or pond. Bogs are very interesting places with lots of Biodiversity. The "most famous" residents of bogs are the many carnivorous plants (Sundew, Pitcherplant, etc...) that live therein. The carnivorous plants evolved because of the lack of nutrients in the "soil" found in bogs. Trust me, from personal experience, I can tell you that walking on a bog is a very interesting experience. If you have a waterbed, walk on it, and that will give you the feeling of walking on a bog. Minus the slight fear that if the "ground" gives way, you are going to be in for an interesting swim. In case you are thinking of asking, the difference between a bog and a fen, is that the water under a bog is acidic, whereas the water beneath a fen is pH neutral to slightly basic. Now you know.
    The Royal Canadian

15. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

The Royal Canadian

Actually, I live in a toen in the middle of a swamp! :p
    But, well, to be true, here, at least, we try to avoid flooded areas - and in the case of the swamp road here, this is not the case... - or put something over the road before to put a road in the swamp! Works wonderfuly! hehe!

Damned canadian lizard man! :giggle:

Our Host!