Some general questions

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Zebedee, Jun 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Or the 'I can't be bothered opening lots of new threads' thread!

Q1. Is there a problem with global.vars[5]? I presume it refers to the Terjon faction. Problem seems to be for me is that it goes below 1 after a couple of conversions and handing him his necklace back. I've hotfixed it but I'm not certain why this problem has suddenly popped up for me since installing CMF 5.04.

Q2. Is there a way to target NPCs similar to the way that you can target PCs when using a 'sentinel' type script? I know you can target individual NPCs but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it more generally without doing entire lists of joinable NPCs and throwing them into the heartbeat. Which would be bad I reckon ;) Reason for this is I've noticed that heartbeat induced dialogue doesn't notice NPCs. So you can go off and scout with them!

Q3. Could someone point me in the direction of a thread or documentation which relates exactly how the respawn for the moathouse works?

Q4. Why haven't I played the game for so long? It's blooming wonderful. Love so much of the new stuff/fixes since I've been taking an enforced break.

Q5. Should Bing have a timer on masterwork stuff being available?

Q6. Any objections if I play with the Lareth in the moathouse encounter? Want to make it a little harder, rather than 'gather in a circle and beat him to death' moment.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I especially like this part. We had a discussion a while back, what to do with Lareth.
    Check it out here, starting from post 40 and below:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4348&page=2

As for Terjon, I think I was the last person who edited him... And I only changed
    a typo in a skill check.

3. Zebedee

Thanks Maggit.

The Terjon thing is very odd. It's almost like there is too much going into the bonus. I've bulletproofed the line in a way which means it fixes the problem for me without doing anything else. Just concerned that no-one else seems to have noticed or bugreported the problem - especially if its my install being dicky again :goth:

edit: re, linked thread. Ah! I think my idea might work then. Just need to work out a chain of consequences if it is changed and get appropriate permissions for grotesque hackery and slashery to other people's scripts and work. Also need to steal wholesale from another encounter. Have it worked out but want to refamiliarise myself with scripting again so might be end of week before it's even ready for me to test.

edit to edit: on the subject of global.vars... was a complete list of them and flags with their meanings ever released? I've got a partial one from ruf but nothing on flags and I don't think the vars I've got is complete either.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Re: Zeb's questions...
    The script is in one of ted's spawner scripts, it works but checking to see if certain critters on the map are there, if not, the new critters are spawned, but please, leave it alone for now, I have plans to up the difficulty there considerably and make it available only AFTER Zuggtmoy has been dealt with (do a search for "Tales of the Wild Coast").
    Sure you can make Lareth harder to beat, as long as the surrender option isn't broken because of it, I have plans for the future for Lareth, but they only work if he's alive. ;)

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'd only suggest that you proceed with caution on this. There have been a lot of discussions and modifications to Lareth over the years (such as Ted adding the spiders). For reasons I can't specifically remember, it's always been maintained that he fights alone rather than leaving his room to join the larger fray that normally precedes his own battle. Might have been module loyalty or something like that.

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

He's far better at murdering people in their sleep than fighting them outright, and he'll use all of his guile (& non-magical treasure) to avoid death. He'd rather lose all of his current servants & recruit new allies from the victors, if possible...then kill them if things don't work out.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

He's a coward. He won't fight until he has to and, even then, he tries to talk his way out of fighting if at all possible. He wants others to do his dirty work; he'll pick a fight and let others do the fighting.

8. Fernando

Fernando Established Member

A4. Same here. Sometimes real life's a bitch :evil:

A5. Yes, please :D... it's just... bizarre to have him masterworking ATM. I like what happens with Armario, for instance: one week delay :yes:

A6. I agree with the answers that you've been getting, and also with what was discussed in the linked thread. And yes, PLEASE, let's not let the 5 lvl Cleric be a "We surround and then fight" kind of battle...

9. Zebedee

Don't worry - I just wanted to check that a Lareth encounter when he isn't the only survivor wouldn't interfere with it. ;)
    It's 802.py or something similar IIRC from a busy night last night. Thanks Allyx will dig
    out the thread you reference to see what cunning plans are in the works and so I don't step on toes. Reason for asking really.

Yeah, that's the problem to surmount :D Break the surrender option and lots of the game gets 'broken'.

@Gaear - or it could be the problem of stopping combat. Certainly the dialogue files of his sergeant and lieutenant indicate that a fight similar to that involving Feldrin (IIRC assassin/rogue type chap in dungeon) was envisaged.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

It was more to do with difficulty in getting him to 'come out' effectively (just teleport him out from his room in the middle of combat?) and the fiddliness of getting the surrender to work, with all his men around leaving combat, and changing the surrender stuff without breaking it. But essentially I don't think anyone put forward a way of doing it everyone could agree on. Personally I'd try a scout waypoint thing to get one of his men to run into his room (thus opening the door and bringing him into line-of-sight) but thats just animation-happy me and it may not work. If it did work, it would effectively bring him into the fight seamlessly.
    I did the Bing thing, I also did the Armario thing but Cerulean added the one-week delay. If you want to get Bing to do a one week delay to conform to masterwork-making rules, sure, be my guest :)
    Ahhh, you've just exposed my deepest fear in KotB, which uses these sorts of scripts a lot.

To get it to fire off an NPC, where you might be using

for zeb in game.obj_list_vicinity(attachee.location,OLC_PC)

just change it to check for an NPC as well:

for zeb in game.obj_list_vicinity(attachee.location,OLC_NPC)

with the proviso that you check if said NPC is in the party:

(zeb.leader_get() != OBJ_HANDLE_NULL):

How you react then, well, I don't know. You can have an attack script, but you can't have a dialogue script involving an NPC of course. You can intitiate dlg with the game leader but if they are on the other side of the map this could be ridiculous. You might fire a floatline - "hey get back!" and physically move the character back (if you have the latest KotB arc test installed, go into the Guildhouse and try to go up the stairs and see how the guard reacts - py00456.py to see the script) - but it depends what you have in mind to do. PM me if u have a specific idea you want some suggestions with :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  11. Zebedee

That's why I was thinking of the Feldrin/Brunk (think I've got the names correct) fight in the temple. Sentinel runs off and then everyone piles in. And it goes through a door. Just need to dig out the scripts and have a peek to see if it can be transferred across with suitable amendments.

I wanted to make sure nothing I did interfered with respawns or other things so I've been checking spawns etc.

Stopping the fight for Lareth and then what to do with his guards is the real problem. I've been playing with the torturer in the dungeon and its easy to stop him fighting (as he should) but the problem is additional mobs who want to keep fighting. Could give them additional scripting I guess by 'reincarnating' them as a named NPC or something. Can see why some little problems have been left alone - time spent > than problem solved.

I appreciate the points about Lareth not being up in the frontline. With a little luck, it can be done so that he won't be in the front line.

Thanks Ted. Will have a play as I'm trying to learn how to use those delay scripts effectively using Blue's work. Think I've got it sorted but need to test.

Thanks Ted. I figured that might be the only way as a more general group.list type thing didn't work. Have you noticed or had reported any slowdown using this type of script in KotB?

It's such a PITA to have to put in every single joinable NPC just to check whether they are being used to exploit engine. Might be worth just calling it up from utilities having done it once.

The dialogue thing is a problem. Best option is the teleport out of range thing IMHO, as you suggest. Wonder whether the script overrides things like sneak though? It would be legitimate to send Furnok off to scout if he were sneaking. Meh! Test, test, test, test, test. I just want to play!

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I could have sworn this happened to me while playing Vanilla ToEE once or twice, maybe Troika broke in a patch because the surrender option became broken? Or maybe even that it worked, but seemed odd that Lareth could switch sides mid battle and take out his own former allies?

Either way adding a scoutpoint to drag him into the battle is easy enough to do with ToEEWB, I even wrote a tutorial in the "what do ya wanna know" thread.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Lareth is for Lareth. That's his only side, excepting his mistress, Lolth. He is "capricious, and thoroughly evil". He would not hesitiate to destroy his erstwhile servants in favor of more powerful ones, whom he could corrupt to his own ends; especially if it meant his continued survival. If they prove to much of a threat through superior skills / talents, they'd wake up dead sometime in the future. Naturally, someone else would be to blame for it, of course.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Zeb: to check whether the NPC is in the party, do it using this bit:
    That way you don't need a list of recruitable NPCs: any NPC in the party, including Suggested ones, will show up as having the leader and trigger the effect.

As for removing the rest of Lareth's men from combat, there is a script for this in Co8.py called StopCombat(obj, flag) - Blue or Hazelnut or someone added it, damn useful. It removes everyone nearby from combat and resets their KOS flag if desired.

15. Zebedee

Thanks Ted.

Missed that line when I was playing arounds without the internet. Which would be why my general search wasn't working.

I guess the stop.combat is basically an enhanced ai.shitlist command? Sounds very useful.

Will dig it up.

-----

@Allyx - bah! Now you're spoiling the fun for me ;) That's the basic idea. The problem is judging the waypoint so that things don't trigger AoOs. Feldrin could probably use a little tinkering with in that regard as he runs out and tends to die very quickly as his waypoint was redone just a little too far.

Interestingly, Feldrin too did the runout thing in vanilla but he had totally vanished from the game when I did my first Co8 runthrough. Liv added him back in when I pointed this out to her when testing her mod.

Agree with you about Lareth fighting his own men but I'm not sure there is an optimal solution. Perhaps leaving it to the PCs might be a plan? That way 'talking' parties could have a way out that 'fighting' parties wouldn't? Non-violent solution as option shocker! ;)

Our Host!