So what do you do in rl?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emirkol the Chaotic, Oct 1, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Gaear! :) There's always so much to learn, and that's what I love about learning languages. You can never be perfect - that provides you with something to do for your whole life - and at the same time you can always improve :) Now if only I could get some American Co8 member to speak with me over the Internet using Ventrilo or some other similar service, I could probably ask a few questions about the accent too, but I'm getting carried away (sue me :p) ;)

- Agetian

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. Agetian

I haven't touched Cognitive Linguistics myself yet, but I'll be moving on to that later this year - if I find any good resources on the topic I'll let you know. :)

- Agetian

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's true in the Guardian Angels. We've got a bunch of 16-21 year olds (BFI). I spent more time, as a patrol leader, keeping them alive than I did anything else.

If I remember right (?), you had to be 45 in those days to get any wisdom stat bonuses. The good news is you get invited to every group. The bad news is you HAVE to be a cleric, and the beer and pizza will REALLY drive your physical stats down FAST.

"I cast TECHNICOLOR WORD OF COMMAND."...Oh, gross! Someone get a mop. :dribble:

4. kio11

kio11 Established Member

american english will destroy your life. if you can dechipter scottish english you can understand all the english accents on the world. go for that. watch out for scottish SLUTS though

5. Agetian

@ kio11: Guess we have a difference of opinion here. :) Well, I've been exposed (in various ways, ranging from personal communication experience to computer games, cartoons, and movies) to different varieties of American English since my early childhood (don't ask how and why - it just happened that way), and American English has become the most natural sounding variant of English for me, and I don't really plan to change anything about that. :) I like the way American English sounds, and I like to speak English in a way similar to that. Speaking of favorites I definitely like Australian and Scottish English, and I can understand most of what is said in Australian and Scottish English, but I'm sure that it's not the best idea for me to break my knowledge of American English in order to try and acquire some other accent - I may end up speaking something of everything (and nothing specific), which is not good at all. So, thanks but... no, thanks, I'll pass. :)

- Agetian

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Whattya talkin about? We speaks pretty good english over here, ya know?
    American English never did nobody no harm. Dat's why we have da best edumacation system dere is!!

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Me too, They're the best Beatles Impersonation band out there! They even include costume changes to reflect the early days, Sgt. Pepper, and the "Let It Be days!"

Oh wait, you were talking about the actual language, huh?

Never mind!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  8. Kamanze

Kamanze 7th son of a 7th son

This is why I keep coming back :aaaa:

9. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

As for me, I am a lecturer (and also a postgraduate) at Bauman Moscow State Technical University [Moscow, Russia.] This work is a great opportunity to drink blood (or should I say "suck blood"?) of living creatures - female students in particular. Sometimes I feel so EVIL at work!

10. kio11

kio11 Established Member

i hate you :D

11. GuardianAngel82

In what topics do you lecture? I teach math at University of Houston - Downtown (the URBAN campus).

12. GuardianAngel82

I enjoy a good Scottish accent now and again. My ex had a pen-pal in Glasgow when she was a teenager, and they've stayed friends. (My family came from that vicinity about 400 years ago.) My ex has been there several times and has taken my son. One of my favorite pictures of him is him leaning against a building of the 52 Lowland Brigade right beneath the unit sign.

In Texas, we speak English a little slower than most and it's a bit recognizable in other places. An Angel from Berlin, "Anchor", asked if I was from Texas, I said yes, and asked how he knew. He said I had an accent, so I corrected him and told I didn't, but HE did. Another time an Angel from Milano stayed next to me because I was the only one in New York who spoke English slowly enough for him to understand. A group of non-English speaking Japanese Angels (Shuko Tenji?) assumed I rode horses and owned oil wells. Which is kind of true, but it's still a stereotype. :wyatt:

I like a variety of accents, and it's hard to say which is my favorite. I don't think there are any I don't like. We have a lot of immigrants here, some who speak no English, and others who are better than I do.

13. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Ahh, I teach "Environmental Monitoring", and I am the only lecturer to teach it in the BMSTU (it is for the students of my chair only. I mean, the chair I work at, not that I am the chair's head, no.). And next semester I am to teach "Life Safety in Techosphere", which is our chair's main course and is tought to each and every student of our university.

Honestly, I am not very good at lecturing, because I am too young and inexperienced. But someone has to fill the position. And since such work is not popular [in Russia at this time] I have to do this.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Speaking of what people do in RL, I discovered my wife spends her time playing something called Elven Blood.

Apparently she kills Balors to pass the time :yawn:

Attached Files:

15. Kamanze

Kamanze 7th son of a 7th son

It's been awhile since I released a death rondo, good times

Our Host!