So, TemplePlus exists.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, Feb 29, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

It's Temple+, You do not get Everything when using the front-end loader

2. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

Any progress on the Arcane Archer? I've built a fighter with that prestige class in mind and then realized to my chagrin that it is not yet complete. I'm about level 6 now. If I can't get AA then I will just deal with it and make her a fighter/wizard. My parties tend to be over powered anyway.
    I'm just about ready to convert my other fighter to a Dwarven Defender. That should be fun. I also have a Bard,Monk and a Druid because I rarely play those and they have been "fixed" if you pardon the expression. This is my fun/experiment party.
    The monk has trouble hitting things so I will be pumping up his strength. Thanks to everyone for your awsome-o modifications and input.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Sorry, no. I've prioritized other things, and also got a little hammered with work lately so it may take a while.

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Eldritch Knight is perhaps a better substitute for AA than Fighter/Wiz.

5. BrotherSmythe

I'll check that out.

6. BrotherSmythe

To be honest I just don't get the Eldritch Knight. You get only one bonus fighter feat instead of one every other fighter level. You advance in level and spells per day as a wizard but do not receive the spells learned by level or the bonus feats granted by the wizard class. You get d6 hp per level instead of the average which would be d7 (a petty point I grant you) Finally a thin and dismal icing on the cake you receive of course 2 skill points per level.
    On a positive note you do get BAB as per fighter and you could always learn spells via scrolls if I'm not mistaken.
    Ultimately I'd rather split fighter /wizard levels . If I am missing something please let me know. I do appreciate everyone's work and input as always.

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I don't see how Arcane Archer is better than Eldritch Knight, I mean a never ending supply of magical arrows is fun (but a magical bow does the same thing to normal arrows), and launching AoE spells as far as you can shoot an arrow could be fun also (however since most AoE spells have a fairly long range anyway, and most of the combat in ToEE is in enclosed spaces, how much extra range do you need?) but many of the other benefits rely on the fact you know the target - in the case of ToEE it would feasibly only allow you to target enemies you have spoken to previously (ToEE Faction Clerics or non hostile NPC's), which would screw up any mission they have offered you (unless your mission is to assassinate the target, and you met the target previously).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  8. BrotherSmythe

Correct as always Allyx. I can only counter with the idea that I was not comparing the two prestige classes . I only desired an unique archer (unique to me anyway ). AA does grant you a desirable BAB and only one level of arcane magic usury not to mention Hail of Arrows and Arrow of Death. When all is said and done however, I always grant all hails to Allyx . Fine shooting to all!

9. Allyx

I will concede that Hail of Arrows sounds interesting, although not too different to the already existing Rapid Shot feat, kinda like a Rapid Shot on steroids.

10. BrotherSmythe

You do have to wait until lv8 and death arrow at lv10,but still...
    Baldurs Gate for Playstation implemented Hail of arrows. Was pretty cool. I highly recommend Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance both 1 n 2 for Playstation.

11. Allyx

Depending on how Imbue Arrow is implemented it could be very useful, or hardly useful. If it simply adds the arrows range to the spells range it would be considerably weaker than using the arrows target within range as the point of origin for the spell (as I believe the wording describes)

EG you could imbue an arrow with a Fireball, choose the point of origin (as if cast from that location) within the arrows range, then choose the point of detonation from there - effectively allowing you to potentially Fireball around corners.

Or cast Burning Hands/Cone of Cold at range.

Or if you fire the arrow at a moving target, (assuming it hits the target) you could shoot your party's Rogue with an arrow imbued with Invisibility 10' radius which moves with the Rogue (assuming the arrow doesn't kill him), or project a Stinking Cloud spell onto an enemy to sicken his nearby mates, or fire an Otiluke's Resilient Sphere at your frontline Fighter to protect him and nearby allies from low level spells.

12. BrotherSmythe

That is most excellent. Fireball was my first thought. Do you have to have fireball loaded so to speak? Is it just as well to cast fireball or to use your AA ability to "fire"it? How EXACTLY is that ability used? Some area of discussion is needed to implement that ability.

13. Allyx

From the ability's wording it seems the spell must be memorised first (for Wizards) (or known for Bards' and Sorcerer's) and forgotten after (for Wizards). From a game mechanics point of view, the ability could create an NPC "Arrow/Bolt/Sling Bullet/Shuriken/Throwing Dagger or Throwing Axe" at the designated location (or for living targets, create a spell object in the target's inventory) which is given the casters casting level (for determining saves/duration and other level dependant spell parameters) which casts the memorised AoE spell from the casters spell list (probably from a radial menu under the imbue arrow ability header).

What isn't clear is what happens if the arrow misses it's target, nothing at all beyond losing the memorized spell or that spells' slot for that day? Or does the spell go off in some random direction for a random distance within the remaining maximum range?

14. Endarire

In 3.5 and ToEE, Wizards get spells known for PrC levels that advance casting.

15. Endarire

Arcane Archer: Spell arrows on miss could detonate in a random facing but from the X, Y coords of their intended target.

Normally, if a splash weapon misses its target, roll d8 to determine which adjacent 5' space the projectile lands in. Similar logic could apply here.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
Our Host!