Slavers

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Flak88, Oct 24, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Here's what I do:

1. Cut off the conversation so you don't get one party member killed. This makes the fight a LOT easier (and is particularly important for smaller parties).

2. Buffs: Anything's good, I rarely ever use a complex buffing setup. Mass Bear's Endurance, Haste, Greater Invis. at least for rogues - potentially for all others except for the one who will do the talking - so that they go for that person first. Potentially other stuff like Heroes' Feast or False life and whatever cleric buffs you like to use. Death Ward should be a good one, though I've won the fight w/o it.

Offensive spells: I haven't found one that works specifically well. Just spam Chain Lightnings.

Other Spells: Power Word Stun will save you. It works on both the cleric and the wizard lass, and doesn't allow for a save. So, use it on one and concentrate on killing the other so that one doesn't destroy the party with insta-death spells, and the other doesn't heal all the damage.

Charm Monster can be good if your wizard/sorcerer is appropriately built and has the Enchantment focus feats, which gives you a higher chance to land one successfully.

Ghoul's touch, if your caster can actually land a hit, which may be dangerous, and difficult.

3. Items: If you value the lives of your party, craft or buy Periapts of Wound Closure at least for your front-liners, makes them last longer. Some of the enemies will also continue mashing the PC after he/she is down since they can't kill him/her. Go for Dwarven Plate for heavy-armored people since extra DR is always nice.

4. Tactics: As I said before, try to take the casters out first. I'd go for the bowman right after, since he can destroy your weaker PCs in a few hits. Then work through the rest of the crowd one by one. Here's how a perfect fight would work out for me:

Party: NE Cleric of Hextor, Ranger/Fighter, Rogue (bow) and sorcerer (Enchantment focus), all lvl 15.

I would take out their cleric and wizard in the first 1-2 rounds, then get the ranger. The cleric is visible, so attracts all the fighters' attention and holds them off, while the ranger takes out the bowman, and the rogue sneak-crits everything to death. The sorcerer concentrates on trying to take out as many people out of the fight as possible w/o actually killing them (charm, stun etc.).

The rogue is more or less the key player here, dealing the most damage in the fight.

2. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Tried again, dominated one of the slavers, actually won finally- and found myself returned to the Constabulary facing a murder charge! How does that happen? I suspect it is because I kept the Dominated guy in my party (carrying loot), but am not sure.

This was actually the second win of the night (a saved game right before it starts, yeah!) and the first one had a slaver go butcher kids one by one, and I didn't win until all were dead :(
    Don't know why that doesn't always happen.

I do love my Frost Brand with Haste, WF, WS, GWF, and Improved Critical. Pow!

I still lose most of my party when I manage to win, though. And when Meleny bites it, the game doesn't recognize her resurrection (go visit her family, her father will try to kill you and Resurrected Meleny).

I think I voted for/ suggested an encounter with tough humans. The Slaver quest delivers. Great job, all!

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Did you first see Captain Absalom upon returning to Verbobonc (with kids), or did you go straight to the city square? Absalom explains it quite clearly, and you can talk to Wilfrick about it afterwards if you should manage to avoid execution by paying the fees. Your attorney also gives you the bare bones version.

4. sps49

Went straight to Capt. Absalom. Yes, everybody explained it clearly, but the kids were alright (either they all get killed or the slaver stands still) and I killed slavers, not "Dyvers rescuers".

I paid up, but it made me consider a sugested assassination....

5. Gaear

How do you know that?

6. sps49

Ah.

I may have been assuming too much. I'll pay closer attention to what is said next time.

Is there a way besides killing to un-dominate a NPC? I was tempted to keep that cleric, but the rest of the game would be too easy.

7. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

One of the children was killed in my fight with the slavers. When I returned to the field I cast Raise Dead on him, which initiated combat. The characters passed their turns and the combat ended as soon as the child had the initiative. At that point the dialogue box sent me back to Verbobonc as before.

I had already completed the quest and collected the reward, so there was no further effect, except that I had to march back to Emridy Meadows a second time to get the loot.

8. biobaba

biobaba Member

Sorry to necro this thread...

I was able to kill the slavers and got away with it with some mighty amount of money...

Is there anyway to prove that I am innocent? or I am being framed for good?
    Since the Lord did not really give me an option to prove my innocence (or maybe my "social" skills arnt high enough to get the option?)

9. Gaear

I suspect that you are not innocent. :p Did you positively identify the Slavers before you killed them? The Viscounty of Verbobonc doesn't permit murder, even of the "I didn't mean it" or mistaken identity variety.

To answer your question, no, there is currently no way to appeal your conviction to Wilfrick or anyone else.

10. biobaba

biobaba Member

ahh that is too bad.

Because the first time I got my arse kicked by triggering the conversation. So on my second try I snekaed up on them and killed them.

It is a really fun quest though.... Very challenging battle

Also the excution method they carried out in the city is pretty impressive.

Our Host!